Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2020, 02:57 PM   #521
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
You, do realize that's an actual job posting. Right?

https://twitter.com/Citylajobs/statu...84813790728193
Yeah, but taking shots at the professionalism of a long-time poster who was just trying to help people out wasn't a very classy move. Pretty unnecessary.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2020, 03:04 PM   #522
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're posting business related stuff, like job postings, you should tidy your #### up.

I'd rather the criticism here than leaving some haphazard thing attached to my name out in job search circles.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 03:21 PM   #523
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
If you're posting business related stuff, like job postings, you should tidy your #### up.

I'd rather the criticism here than leaving some haphazard thing attached to my name out in job search circles.
Sure.

But there's providing tactful critique and being rude to a guy for no reason. Especially when Cap'n has been incredibly active and helpful in this thread. This isn't a ####s and giggles thread like GMG where busting balls is expected.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2020, 03:25 PM   #524
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Guys, its cool, I don't want this thread to become some kind of pissing match, or a re-directed argument that goes like 5 pages.

I deal with rude people all the time, basically when they come across that way, I ignore their message.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2020, 03:34 PM   #525
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

In other news... if anyone with Power Engineering or possibly instrumentation experience is looking for work PM me. Not a huge lead but something anyway.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2020, 07:39 AM   #526
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

It looks like I'm going to be unemployed within the next few weeks. I currently work in Procurement for a local EP. I have experience in Energy, Mining and Infrastructure mostly in capital project work but also some sustainable stuff.

I hit my peak salary in 2011 but, ever since, my pay has been gradually reducing for a number of reasons. It's gotten to the point where I can live on less than I thought I could. My kids are almost all finished University and are just about all moved away.
Really, money and family obligations were the main factors keeping me in this industry. I'm thinking more and more that this may be an opportunity to get off the energy roller coaster and look at different industries. I'm also considering leaving Alberta.

It's really unfortunate, not just because I'm losing my job, but because the energy industry in Alberta is, in my experience, the most professional, diligent, and (dare I say) progressive, in the world (among energy industries). I started in the industry in 1997.
In that time I've met some truly amazing people and learned a lot professionally and personally. I've had the opportunity to not only travel around the world but also to live and work in other parts of Canada and internationally and I can honestly say that Calgary really is one of the best places to be. That said, it feels like the writing is on the wall for the industry and I'm exhausted of the constant uncertainty. It's taken a psychological toll for the last decade.

Anyhoo...if anyone knows of any opportunities out there it would certainly be appreciated.
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Slinger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2020, 07:14 PM   #527
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Add me too the unemployment pile again. Atleast until April when we go back to work, but I would like to find something more permanent. Or Atleast for the winter

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesfan1297 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2020, 10:04 AM   #528
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

For all of you folks out there looking, I just wanted to make sure that your looking for opportunities are active on your linkedin accounts. Usually recruiters will miss people that don't have a definitive end to their last role and you might miss out on some searches.

I've noticed in the last couple of weeks that the searches are way up on Linkedin, last week I had 14 searches hit me, and this week its 31. These are searches unrelated to my current role.

Old 11-20-2020, 11:59 AM   #529
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So I wanted to throw this out there. I'm willing to host a almost like Job Seekers video group, just for anyone that wants to discuss what's happening out there, what they're doing and what's working and what isn't. Maybe it can create a bit of a network where if someone's looking for a specific role based on their skills, someone else has a contact or heard something. It could also be like a chaotic info share wide open AMA.

Let me know if any of you are interested and we can set up a evening meet, and even crack a beer

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
_Q_
Old 11-20-2020, 12:02 PM   #530
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Also if anyone out there has DBA experience, or knows someone, let me know, i don't have a job description for it specifically. But one of our clients has an interest.

Old 11-23-2020, 01:12 PM   #531
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wanted to share this, and find out what others think... never been in this position, so I don't want to upset anyone struggling to find work.

I've been at a place over 4 years, oil and gas related, but not in the exact field of my previous experience and education. This is a huge company, and they're experiencing major pandemic/oil price problems, but my specific group is doing very well at this time. I have a lot less seniority than some there, and although I think I am well-liked, it seems like there is chance for promotion/job change only after years more time at my current level. But it is a very good job that has allowed me to be home for the pandemic so far and stay employed.

I've now been offered a job at a new place for a significant raise, of course it comes with more responsibility, and a lot of high risk-reward potential. Small company, only been around a short time, and all that stuff.

What would you do? Why?
Old 11-23-2020, 01:18 PM   #532
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does the new position recognize previous experience in case of lay-off? I’d be looking to negotiate that into any new position I would take in these times.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2020, 01:22 PM   #533
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I got my first rejection for my first interview this month.

I am very happy to get an actual call from the company owner/interviewer to notify me that they went with someone else, but were still impressed with what I presented. That call back is great and rare, so always appreciated.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TSXCman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2020, 04:01 PM   #534
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
I wanted to share this, and find out what others think... never been in this position, so I don't want to upset anyone struggling to find work.

I've been at a place over 4 years, oil and gas related, but not in the exact field of my previous experience and education. This is a huge company, and they're experiencing major pandemic/oil price problems, but my specific group is doing very well at this time. I have a lot less seniority than some there, and although I think I am well-liked, it seems like there is chance for promotion/job change only after years more time at my current level. But it is a very good job that has allowed me to be home for the pandemic so far and stay employed.

I've now been offered a job at a new place for a significant raise, of course it comes with more responsibility, and a lot of high risk-reward potential. Small company, only been around a short time, and all that stuff.

What would you do? Why?
I'd look at the financials of the company, or take a good guess at them. If you think they can survive moving forward you go for it.

If they're a jr oil and gas company with assets that need capital, stay away, those types of plays are dead for a few years yet.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:13 PM   #535
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

What would you do? Why?
As mentioned, try to analyze the companies financials to learn about stability. Not only that but really analyze personal financials as well. If the personal financial situation is one that requires stability it may not be worth the risk. If the boost in income with the new position allows for significant savings which could be used to offset a potential future layoff it might be worth it.

In my opinion it is also important to consider future employment potential. The new position, which is a more senior role, could lead to more opportunities if the worst case scenario happens and you end up in the job market again. At least you have that demonstrated senior level experience that you can use in the competitive job market.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:44 PM   #536
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I'm willing to host a almost like Job Seekers video group, just for anyone that wants to discuss what's happening out there,
Can you promise during the video conference that you're wearing pants? Even though I'm 99% sure you're just porky-piggin' it in a dress shirt and tie?
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:50 PM   #537
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I always wear pants. Though I might wear a borat.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2020, 10:09 PM   #538
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

What would you do? Why?
My take.. don't jump. I chased money before and got burned. If you have a good thing going right now, keep at it.
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skudr248 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2020, 09:10 PM   #539
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Finally have another interview.. Thurs am. Position is in BC but hey a job is a job. Other than networking and a promise of a role (which keeps getting pushed back 2weeks, week after week since Sept), it's been pretty dry since my last real interview early Sept.

Also... to ask the group... I'm on EI now... in Oct had to open an Incorporation for a short contract job (3wks)... and have been zero income since then... for EI reporting am I screwed if I now report as "self employed" as of mid-Oct? Do I still get EI going forward? I wanted to call Service Canada/EI but the wait time was in the hours.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:04 PM   #540
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Finally have another interview.. Thurs am. Position is in BC but hey a job is a job. Other than networking and a promise of a role (which keeps getting pushed back 2weeks, week after week since Sept), it's been pretty dry since my last real interview early Sept.

Also... to ask the group... I'm on EI now... in Oct had to open an Incorporation for a short contract job (3wks)... and have been zero income since then... for EI reporting am I screwed if I now report as "self employed" as of mid-Oct? Do I still get EI going forward? I wanted to call Service Canada/EI but the wait time was in the hours.
I don’t know why a short term contract would now make you a self employed person.