Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #1201
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman88 View Post
I found a nice extension for Chrome, Media Hint (https://mediahint.com/). It somehow makes it look like you're in the US so you get US Netflix, hulu, etc and it's free!
It also works for BBC iPlayer. Although I subscribe to Unblock-Us at home because I use multiple devices, I use Media Hint at work to access BBC iPlayer. There usually some good music shows on there which make for good background listening. Currently there are loads of live sets from the Reading & Leeds Festival that I'm working through.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #1202
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Those of you using a DNS service that doesn't give you access to NetFlix UK are missing out.

Also, 99% of non-paid DNS swaps give #### bandwidth. Paying for a service just guarantees I can watch everything in SuperHD, so for that alone its worth it.
What's so great about Netflix UK?

And yes, this is the other reason I was going to mention about using a free DNS service. With unblock us, I always have HD/Super HD after the first 10 seconds starting something.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #1203
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

I signed up for unblock US on the weekend for their free trial. The connection was great and easy to set up. Funny looking at the US selection, even the logos for some of the shows have a US version. I did loose my new list function though
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #1204
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igster View Post
What's so great about Netflix UK?

And yes, this is the other reason I was going to mention about using a free DNS service. With unblock us, I always have HD/Super HD after the first 10 seconds starting something.
http://netflixukvsusa.blogspot.ca/

Quite a bit that in Canada/US we don't get. Having access to all 3 gives a pretty massive collection of content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #1205
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
I signed up for unblock US on the weekend for their free trial. The connection was great and easy to set up. Funny looking at the US selection, even the logos for some of the shows have a US version. I did loose my new list function though
When they first rolled out the My List feature a couple of weeks ago, it didn't appear consistently on all of my devices and with all regions. I think that I may have been able to give it a little kickstart by adding something to the list on my PC, and then my list (and all of the functionality) appeared on my other devices.

When you're flipping between regions, each region seems to have a different My List, even if it is the same title. There were a couple that seemed to automatically persist between regions, but generally "Breaking Bad" in Canada is treated as technically a different title than "Breaking Bad" in the UK. (I use this example because on UK Netflix, Breaking Bad episodes are added after they are broadcast, whereas US and Canada will have to wait a while until the broadcasters have had their run).
Old 09-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #1206
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Just a heads up Season 5 of Weeds and Season 4 of Community are now streaming on Netflix Canada

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #1207
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

How does DNS affect bandwidth? Doesn't it just look up the IP address of the Netflix servers, and they you're done with DNS?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #1208
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
How does DNS affect bandwidth? Doesn't it just look up the IP address of the Netflix servers, and they you're done with DNS?
It technically shouldn't as a Smart DNS should just trick the contacted server into thinking that your region is compatible, unlike a VPN which routes all info through a separate network (and will obviously be slower in the long run). However, a lot of free DNS services in my experience are quite unreliable even when fast (which can change frequently).

Those who don't care about internet anonymity can obviously use a free DNS (though having a dedicated DNS host, typically at a fee is better), but I've gotten nothing but headaches from them, especially if they're performing poorly. Paying for a host service that offers both DNS and VPN services has just become the norm for me over the last 3 years.

Quote:
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #1209
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Just a heads up Season 5 of Weeds and Season 4 of Community are now streaming on Netflix Canada
Don't watch season 4 of Community. Just ignore that it ever happened.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #1210
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can't remember if this is on Netflix Canada or USA, but check out the UK show "Shameless".

You'll probably feel horrible for liking it but it has some terrific characters and most of the episodes are pretty darn funny. Really enjoying it at the moment.

EDIT: Stop after Series 2 - they're brilliant. Series 3 was alright but it's straight into the crapper after that.

Last edited by WilsonFourTwo; 09-08-2013 at 07:20 AM.
WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:41 PM   #1211
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Don't watch season 4 of Community. Just ignore that it ever happened.
To follow on this note, don't watch anything past season 3 of Weeds, if you have to watch season 4 and 5.. but then my god stop.

The entire series has been on American Netflix for a while, I was a huge fan of the show and I haven't been bothered to watch the last season. Started it a while ago and after one episode I just gave up.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #1212
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
To follow on this note, don't watch anything past season 3 of Weeds, if you have to watch season 4 and 5.. but then my god stop.

The entire series has been on American Netflix for a while, I was a huge fan of the show and I haven't been bothered to watch the last season. Started it a while ago and after one episode I just gave up.

damn damn damn.......mid way through season 2 now...

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #1213
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Sometimes I think you're my long lost big brother.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #1214
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have a question regarding DNS settings for Netflix on a SMART TV. I changed my setting to a DNS address that will let me access American Netflix. I open my Netflix and all the extra content is there but when I go to play something I get a message that says "This title is not available to watch instantly. Please try another title"
This message appears on everything I load up except stuff in my recently watch cue. Has anyone come across this before? Any suggestions on how to fix it? Thanks
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:42 AM   #1215
InSutterWeTrust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiran403 View Post
I have a question regarding DNS settings for Netflix on a SMART TV. I changed my setting to a DNS address that will let me access American Netflix. I open my Netflix and all the extra content is there but when I go to play something I get a message that says "This title is not available to watch instantly. Please try another title"
This message appears on everything I load up except stuff in my recently watch cue. Has anyone come across this before? Any suggestions on how to fix it? Thanks
This happens to me on my apple tv when I switch back and fourth between American and Canadian netflix, to fix this I just restart the apple tv and it works fine. Not sure if you have the same kind of option on a smart tv or if you just power on and off, good luck.

InSutterWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InSutterWeTrust For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2013, 07:54 AM   #1216
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Try fully exiting the Netflix app and re-entering, and even logging out and logging back in. I have found that after changing regions (with Unblock-Us) that on the Apple TV, I need to exit the app fully and start over. Yet on the iPad and iPhone I sometimes need to switch profiles and even log out for things to appear properly.

I don't own a smart TV, however, but it may work for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2013, 07:57 AM   #1217
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'd say the last season was ok, and had a decent enough finale. Definitely better than the previous 2-3 seasons that were becoming a chore to watch. I do give them a bit of respect though for not playing it safe and sticking to the same settings and formulas. It just didn't always work very well.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #1218
fatso
First Line Centre

Exp:

I run Netflix through my PS3. Does anyone else find it really glitchy? Most of the time it won't load, and I get the 'please try again' message.

The great CP is in dire need of prunes!
"That's because the productive part of society is adverse to giving up all their wealth so you libs can conduct your social experiments. Experience tells us your a bunch of snake oil salesman...Sucks to be you.
" ~Calgaryborn 12/06/09 keeping it really stupid!
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #1219
BlackEleven
Redundant Minister of Redundancy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatso View Post
I run Netflix through my PS3. Does anyone else find it really glitchy? Most of the time it won't load, and I get the 'please try again' message.
I use my PS3 as well and have had that problem only once in years of using it.

Are you using wifi on the PS3? Perhaps it's a connection problem? If you live in an appartment building or have lots of other wifi networks within range, you could try changing the wifi channel, you may be clashing with your neighbours. There are also wifi analyzers you can download on your smartphone to see help see how other wifi within range is configured.
BlackEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlackEleven For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #1220
fatso
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks BlackEleven. I will try that and see if it makes a difference.

The great CP is in dire need of prunes!
"That's because the productive part of society is adverse to giving up all their wealth so you libs can conduct your social experiments. Experience tells us your a bunch of snake oil salesman...Sucks to be you.
" ~Calgaryborn 12/06/09 keeping it really stupid!
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote