Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2017, 01:43 PM   #121
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
Serious question: Why do people value Evander Kane so highly? He has broken 50pts once in his career. He has never played an entire season. He has well known and documented personal issues (don't care about the twitter pic, but the abuse of women that he's been accused of is pretty alarming)... I think he's a 3rd liner on this team, but I don't think he's worth the risk in throwing off locker room chemistry.
The only reason I can see is name recognition and short memories.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:47 PM   #122
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Your point still isn't valid seeing the Flames don't have Crosby on their 1st line and Malkin on the 2nd line. The Flames are paying Brouwer $4.5 million to play on the 4th line. Is that really working out so well that we need to add a $6 million 3rd liner?

This has absolutely no correlation to the discussion. Should have saved your keyboard strokes for something more important
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:51 PM   #123
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
it's such a brutal comparison that, frankly, it killed the argument altogether.

If a team can manage to get their hands on a annual 30 goal, 70 point guy onto their team to put them over the top, no brainer.

Kane is nowhere even close to that. His career indicates that a safe bet is half as many goals and half as many points per season. That kind of player, doesn't put a team over the edge into a contender, regardless of the acquisition cost of salary. When you actually do consider those two parameters, it seems like a pretty obvious bad decision.

Kane's current AAV out of his RFA contract is $5.25M. Over the course of hte 6 years of this contract, i'd imagine it's been an annual disappointment. Guy is having a great contract year this year, I'm sure some idiot GM will give him an equivalent or better contract that he's on but i sure as hell hope it ain't the GM of my team.
What was the point of this? Didn't I already acknowledge Kessel to be vastly superior to Kane? Although to be fair, comparing players solely on the basis of points doesn't make sense when one of them is a soft sniping winger while the other happens to be a physical powerforward
Old 12-13-2017, 01:53 PM   #124
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Bad take here. 19 year old Sam Bennett outscored 24 year old Evander Kane.

Such a twitter type take here. You're being disingenuous. Compare them age by age and Kane wins all of them.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:59 PM   #125
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Arguably? Hamilton as a young defensemen puts up more points annually than Kane. It would be one of the worst trades in recent NHL history.
I agree, I guess I shouldn't have said arguably (I tend to softpedal to acknowledge that it's an opinion). However, I actually think the best versus next best comparison in the trade proposal I was referring to was Hamilton v. O'Reilly. O'Reilly is a two way player at a more valuable position, outscored Kane most years and is still but 26 years old.

ETA: IMO Hamilton is still the best player - young top pairing Dman recently at 40-50 points v. slightly older second line centre at 55-65 points.

Last edited by GioforPM; 12-13-2017 at 02:32 PM.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:07 PM   #126
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just for fun, what would it take to get Kane and RoR? Salaries obviously a consideration.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:31 PM   #127
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
This has absolutely no correlation to the discussion. Should have saved your keyboard strokes for something more important
You brought Kessell into the conversation not me.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2017, 02:39 PM   #128
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Just for fun, what would it take to get Kane and RoR? Salaries obviously a consideration.
Any trade would have a huge conditional aspect to it based on re-signing Kane. As a rental I'm not valuing much for him.

O'Reilly is a big big contract for 5 years after this season. So IMO you'd have to give up a significant player at a significant contract value to clear space. So Brodie? Backlund (because you assume he's going to be a $5.5-6M hit)? That begs the question - do you prefer Backlund versus O'Reilly?
Old 12-13-2017, 02:44 PM   #129
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure why the Flames would want another center....

O'Reilly is a 1st line center type of guy.

I would think the Flames are looking for a winger who can score and generate offense on the power-play (i.e. someone to fill in for Versteeg).

Not sure if that is Kane.... however I would think the need is there for sure.....
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:48 PM   #130
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
You'd have to convince/pay for the sabres to eat a portion of O'Reilly's contract, say a million bucks a year.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:01 PM   #131
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hamilton, Backlund and Brouwer get you ROR and Kane. No salaries held back.

It would make the flames better on paper, once you bring up andersson, but backlund is a 'glue guy', so it never happens.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:05 PM   #132
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

It would make the flames better on paper, once you bring up andersson, but backlund is a 'glue guy', so it never happens.
Why would Buffalo trade for a pending UFA?
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:15 PM   #133
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
To lose ROR's salary and because Kane is also a pending UFA. Really, it's Hamilton for Kane in that situation, with the Flames adding about $1M in salary for ROR (versus a re-signing of Backlund) and whatever Kane would make over and above Hamilton's pretty good contract.

I dislike that trade because (a) we lose the best player, (b) IMO ROR is not a huge upgrade over Backlund and (c) I'm not keen on what Kane is going to be asking for in FA-land. Plus it creates a hole at the top pairing that I don't think Brodie can fill.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:15 PM   #134
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Same reason Calgary would? Kane/Backlund swap and Oreilly/Hamilton swap. I guess Brouwer is thrown in to make money work? Or because we’re all legally required to include him in every trade proposal now. One of the two.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:23 PM   #135
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Brouwer ain't waivin' to go to freakin' buffalo, I can tell you that much.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2017, 03:26 PM   #136
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Money, and also because calgary is giving up the best player in a hamilton trade, and value has to be found.

Honestly, with the depth at right handed D, calgary is in the best trade position in the league with hamilton.

Edit : Brouwer doesn't want to be calgarys moulson. He will wave if he has a realistic chance to play.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:32 PM   #137
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Best case scenario, this deal is a complete wash.

Worst case... ugh.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2017, 03:34 PM   #138
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Why are you some of you guys so hell bent on wanting to trading Dougie and to a lesser extent Brodie?
Burke and Tree have come out many times and said they're not getting moved.
As good as Valimaki, Fox, Andersson, Kylington project to be, the chances that they are able to supplant anyone in our top4 in the next 2-3years is slim.
yourbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:37 PM   #139
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Brouwer ain't waivin' to go to freakin' buffalo, I can tell you that much.
I said it the other day - I think he waives versus being demoted to the AHL. You still fly charter when you play for Buffalo. You still ride the bus in the AHL. And if Brouwer expects to be signed after he gets bought out (an inevitability IMO) playing in the A would be a detriment.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:15 PM   #140
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It would make the flames better on paper, once you bring up andersson,
Andersson has a long, long, LONG way to go before he proves he can fill in for Hamilton. No thanks.