Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2017, 03:44 PM   #41
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Flames @ Wild - 6:00 MST

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Ya know, maybe it’s just me. I don’t know where the recent disdain for Versteeg came from as I have always wondered why he couldn’t hold an NHL job or was moved around so much after Chicago. But something about him this season really bothers me and I feel he could be easily upgraded. Maybe I’m out to lunch.

Yeah that’s fair enough. I’ve always like Versteeg, but when he does have a flub it’s usually pretty noticeable so that might be part of it. His turnover on the powerplay against Detroit comes to mind.

All in all though I think the PP is missing his creativity and ability to keep plays alive.

Call me crazy but I think the perfect replacement would be Sam Gagner. He was a 4th liner in Columbus last year that played top line powerplay. I doubt Vancouver is looking to deal him until the deadline though
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:50 PM   #42
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Start with getting rid of 2 goal scorer, Troy Brouwer off of the PP. Ferlie can stand in front of the net and we can put Bennett or Janko on the point if they don't want to put another defenseman on the point.

The PP hasn't been completely terrible. It got better once they got Brouwer off of the top unit, but it suffered a bit once Versteeg was injured and Brouwer found his way back on... like, isn't there a better option that Brouwer? Somebody who has offensive talent isn't getting a shot on the PP, why use Brouwer?
They moved Brouwer off last game. But Ferland didn't stand in front of the net - he was off to the side and the PP was pretty ineffective as a result (plus Stone was missing the net).

On Versteeg - my complaint with him and Brodie is that they take a long time to decide what to do. IMO a good PP is based on making quick passes to take advantage of the manpower, avoid "good sticks" and get the goalie moving.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2017, 03:51 PM   #43
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Yeah that’s fair enough. I’ve always like Versteeg, but when he does have a flub it’s usually pretty noticeable so that might be part of it. His turnover on the powerplay against Detroit comes to mind.

All in all though I think the PP is missing his creativity and ability to keep plays alive.

Call me crazy but I think the perfect replacement would be Sam Gagner. He was a 4th liner in Columbus last year that played top line powerplay. I doubt Vancouver is looking to deal him until the deadline though
You’re crazy.

Watch Gagner on Bennett’s GWG from Saturday. I don’t want that which seemed like either minimal effort or complete lack of defensive acumen on our team.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:07 PM   #44
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post

Maybe that’s just it.. when he turns it over it’s either at a key point in the game or it’s momentum shifting in a bad bad way.. I’ve always liked Versteeg as well and ageee that it is the creativity aspect that he certainly brings. But really that’s about it.. I have a hard time believing that the Flames don’t have someone on the team or in the system or can be acquired relatively cheap.

But again, it’s not a hate on for Versteeg, it’s more a jab at management and the PP unit coach.
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:53 PM   #45
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just remembered how Bennett owned the Canucks last game at the end. Maybe he's gonna keep it going with the confidence.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:59 PM   #46
ASP#26525
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Just remembered how Bennett owned the Canucks last game at the end. Maybe he's gonna keep it going with the confidence.
I sure hope so. It was great to see him smiling. That gif with Janko might be my favourite so far this year
ASP#26525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:17 PM   #47
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Put Jankowski on the PP"- Albert Einstein
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:59 PM   #48
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tyler Ennis (healthy scratch) expected to sit this one out for the Wild.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:59 PM   #49
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

4th line for the Flames getting the start.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote