Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2020, 08:15 AM   #61
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

“Crazy bad stuff isn’t going to happen”

2020: hold my beer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:15 AM   #62
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
The worst people in politics aren't democrats or republicans, its people who think their side is virtuous and true and the other side is filled with sub human trash.
Cool take. I'm sure there were "centrists" in the Weimar Republic said the same thing.

When one side destroys civil liberties, puts people in concentration camps, de-humanizes their opponents, constantly lies, denounces free press, mass sterilizes people and brutalize their citizenry in the name of "law and order" its kind of hard not to think of them as human trash.

But yeah, go ahead and blame the people trying to call out the evil, and fearful of their hypocrisy to maintain power at the cost of democracy.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 09:29 AM   #63
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
The worst people in politics aren't democrats or republicans, its people who think their side is virtuous and true and the other side is filled with sub human trash.
Is it wrong to believe that anyone who sides with Trump and his ilk are sub human trash?
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:30 AM   #64
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looch City View Post
Is it wrong to believe that anyone who sides with Trump and his ilk are sub human trash?
No, it’s a fact.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 10:17 AM   #65
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
No, it’s a fact.
You just called Obama voters trash. Fact: many swing voters that voted for Obama twice (I know several) voted for Trump. A small percentage of African American's (8%) voted Trump, a fairly large % of Hispanics (28%) voted Trump. Are they all trash as well? 27% of Asians voted Trump. All trash, right?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 10:20 AM   #66
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
No, it’s a fact.
I would say there are a few options

- they are trash
- they lack empathy as their personal situation will improve under Trump relative to Biden
- they are not educated to the consequences of Trumps actions or Biden’s policies.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:22 AM   #67
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's pretty easy to differentiate "Trump and his ilk" from all people who voted for Trump. If you believe approval numbers there was a significant amount of people who did not approve of Trump last election who still voted for him (and the same for Hillary). Trump as an individual is virtually indefensible, and I think very little of anyone who does, but his policies are mostly stock and trade GOP policies. So you can still vote for him because of policy, and also think personally that he's a gargantuan piece of ####.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:39 AM   #68
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
Cool take. I'm sure there were "centrists" in the Weimar Republic said the same thing.

When one side destroys civil liberties, puts people in concentration camps, de-humanizes their opponents, constantly lies, denounces free press, mass sterilizes people and brutalize their citizenry in the name of "law and order" its kind of hard not to think of them as human trash.

But yeah, go ahead and blame the people trying to call out the evil, and fearful of their hypocrisy to maintain power at the cost of democracy.
You know, the evil of the Nazis were the people who pretty obviously viewed their opponents as sub-human trash.

The evil of Trumpublicans are the people who view their opponents, or POCs, or immigrants etc. as sub-human trash.

Seems like Matata has a good point.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:50 AM   #69
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Both sides, many sides.

MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 10:56 AM   #70
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Back to the topic of RBG, I just heard the story yesterday of how it was Hillary Clinton that convinced Bill to give RBG a chance, as he was at the time only looking at male candidates and wasn't familiar with RBG, someone who had already been passed over for a supreme court clerkship when she was young because she wasn't a guy.

That in itself is a great example of how self-perpetuating discriminatory structures of power are and how important it is to have diverse voices in decision making. Although Bill recognized her quality after evaluating her, she never would have been under consideration if not for another woman having his ear and all the work RBG did on the supreme court that has benefited women could have been erased if not for that. So much of systemic discrimination is just about whose voices and perspectives don't have a place at the decision-making table and how hard it is to get a place at that table.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 11:01 AM   #71
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Both sides, many sides.

Haha, wtf? Seriously, read Matata's post again, look at your comic again, and think about who are the worst people in that comic according to what Matata wrote.

Old 09-19-2020, 11:06 AM   #72
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
You just called Obama voters trash. Fact: many swing voters that voted for Obama twice (I know several) voted for Trump. A small percentage of African American's (8%) voted Trump, a fairly large % of Hispanics (28%) voted Trump. Are they all trash as well? 27% of Asians voted Trump. All trash, right?
You clearly don’t understand the difference between casting a vote 4 years ago and supporting him and voting for him again.

But yes, they’re sub human trash too if they actively support him.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 11:09 AM   #73
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
You know, the evil of the Nazis were the people who pretty obviously viewed their opponents as sub-human trash.

The evil of Trumpublicans are the people who view their opponents, or POCs, or immigrants etc. as sub-human trash.

Except unlike republicans, I’m not trying to actively subjugate and eradicate the people I think are trash. If anything, Dems want to protect those people from the very party they support, even though they are horrible human beings.

Well, except Trump and McConnell. I’d be dancing naked in the streets if they both died.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 11:13 AM   #74
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post

I would argue, though, that the people who didn't take a stand against the Nazis were just as bad. They were the ones who allowed the "evil" Nazis to get away with the atrocities they committed.

The Republicans who sit idly by while the GOP dismantles our democracy are, at the very least, complicit.
wittynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wittynickname For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 11:14 AM   #75
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittynickname View Post
I would argue, though, that the people who didn't take a stand against the Nazis were just as bad. They were the ones who allowed the "evil" Nazis to get away with the atrocities they committed.

The Republicans who sit idly by while the GOP dismantles our democracy are, at the very least, complicit.
There's a term for them: "Good Germans".
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 11:21 AM   #76
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^^Na. The Nazi's were the worst, innocent bystanders and survivors are not the same or worse. I hate posts like this, you simply don't understand how tragic it is to be caught up in such circumstances. You have never lived through it.

It reminds of comments like "you are with us or you are with the terrorists". Or for the younger crowd: "only a Sith deals in absolutes"

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 09-19-2020 at 11:25 AM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 11:23 AM   #77
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittynickname View Post

Ya...I’m not sure you understand how that whole authoritarian regime actually worked. Nor how much the average German actually knew about. But, okay, they were “just as bad”.

powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 11:34 AM   #78
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
^^Na. The Nazi's were the worst, innocent bystanders and survivors are not the same or worse. I hate posts like this, you simply don't understand how tragic it is to be caught up in such circumstances. You have never lived through it.

It reminds of comments like "you are with us or you are with the terrorists". Or for the younger crowd: "only a Sith deals in absolutes"
Uhh, hate to break it to you but we are watching a wannabe dictator doing his best to end a democracy (arguably the worlds keystone democracy) and turn it into an authoritarian regime. Or do we have to wait until his fourth term to say we “lived through it”?

But you’re right, let’s feel bad for the republicans “caught up in such circumstances”.

I know when I think of the GOP and trump supporters the first thing I think is “innocent bystanders and survivors”. Not Mexicans in detention camps, forced unwanted medical procedures, black people systematically murdered by police etc. No, no, it’s the GOP who are innocent and survivors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Ya...I’m not sure you understand how that whole authoritarian regime actually worked. Nor how much the average German actually knew about. But, okay, they were “just as bad”.

But you know better? Citation please

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 09-19-2020 at 11:38 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 11:41 AM   #79
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post

I think there's certainly a difference between opposing a contentious party trying to gain power and openly opposing an authoritarian regime in power. I have a lot of empathy for the conscientious objectors in Germany from 1930 to 1945, and I still have trouble with the Buchenwald civilian tour after liberation. What exactly could those people do?

Really off-topic now, but if you take one thing away from this branch of thought think of the story of Hans Litten, a lawyer who subpoenaed Hitler in a 1931 trial in an attempt to expose his evil. You can take an educated guess on his fate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Litten

https://www.buchenwald.de/en/1232/

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 11:52 AM   #80
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know what Matata's politics are, but these responses are seriously making me question the reading comprehension levels behind some of these replies.

If red team vs. blue team politics prevent people from both teams being able to come together in recognition that people who view others as sub-human trash are the worst regardless of which team's colour they wear, then politics are pretty broken. If people are so divided by political team that they can't agree on such a fundamental statement and position, then liberal political discourse in society is pretty well on the ropes.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post: