Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-11-2019, 12:32 PM   #201
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

hopefully the Stamps don't get as devastated this off season. This is still a pretty young team and a solid core of players.

They'll be back.,

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 01:45 PM   #202
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

So Captain, or anyone else, how do you stop Streveller? Without going into what the Stamps offence or Bo did wrong, it’s undeniable Streveller was a force out there. He didn’t even attempt a pass but still racked up yards.

Also, any thoughts on Wpg having a bye last week? Not an excuse but I can’t help but wonder if it gave them an edge.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 11-11-2019 at 01:48 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:54 PM   #203
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
So Captain, or anyone else, how do you stop Streveller? Without going into what the Stamps offence or Bo did wrong, it’s undeniable Streveller was a force out there. He didn’t even attempt a pass but still racked up yards.

Also, any thoughts on Wpg having a bye last week? Not an excuse but I can’t help but wonder if it gave them an edge.
No inside moves from the defensive ends, have them play strong contain on the pocket, and spy your most athletic linebacker on him.

As well on the options, play the 50% and force him to the middle of the field.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 01:54 PM   #204
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:

Stack the box and dare him to throw on you man to man.

Or use a spy on him, but whoever is used in that spot has to be uber athletic and a good tackler.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:57 PM   #205
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

The Bombers came out pretty slow in the game, which is what you see with teams on a bye week. they weren't great offensively and Calgary moved the ball pretty well defensively.

The problem without jumping on Bo too much, is when you don't complete passes and don't get first down and you're opponent is putting together 6 ot 7 minute drives, it takes not only the clock away from you, but your defense wears down, and in this case your front seven wears down.

I thought that Monson took too long to start doing run blitzes, if Shrevler came in, I'd be sending the entire front seven everytime and play jam man coverage. Knock the timing of the receivers off, and take away the run gaps.

Old 11-11-2019, 02:30 PM   #206
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tough loss yesterday, but part of me is happy to see Zach Collaros back out there and playing well. Here's a guy who's battled knee injuries and concussions and there was some doubt that he would ever take the field again. I'll be rooting for the Bombers in the West final.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:22 AM   #207
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i have to admit that as a bomber fan i was a little nervous about them having the alst week of the season off as sometimes i feel that lost late season breaks do wreck a team's rhythm of playing every week. But of course it give you a chance to rest some guys who are beat up - so not sure what the ultimate answer is other than in this case it was likely good for the big blue

I'd imagine somewhere out there someone has compiled the stat of CFL teams records coming off the bye week
Old 11-12-2019, 07:36 AM   #208
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bye week before a division semi-final game is definitely an advantage. Bye week when you already have a bye before the division finals — not so much.

P.S. the weather forecast is showing a high of 11 degrees this Sunday. A bye to the West Final would have looked pretty good right about now
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:36 PM   #209
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

A tweet thread from Danny Austin (copied and pasted to save space)

I get that the Stampeders set a certain standard over the last five years and people are naturally going to be disappointed when they don't maintain it.

I get that "rebuilding years" don't really exist in the CFL.

But here's a thing

The Stamps defence in Sunday's West Semifinal had only four (4!!!!) of the same starters from last year's Grey Cup (Roberson, Smith, Wall and Derek Wiggan).

On offence, not a single receiver who started in last year’s Grey Cup played in the West semifinal.

Only Mitchell at QB, Jackson at RB and then Dennis, Bergman and U. Williams on o-line started in last year’s championship

This WAS a rebuilding year.

That they finished second in the West Division during the regular season is the team overachieving, losing in the semifinal is not an underachievement, and the idea that the pass-game was bad on Sunday is actually extremely unsurprising.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 07:16 AM   #210
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

saw a tweet from Rene P noting that it is the first time since 2011 or something that the stamps will not be in the Western finals or GC since 2011. Pretty impressive run by the organization even in a small league.

as an aside, i thought it was likely a wierd game for Rene as he only touched the ball twice or so during the game
Old 11-13-2019, 09:19 AM   #211
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
saw a tweet from Rene P noting that it is the first time since 2011 or something that the stamps will not be in the Western finals or GC since 2011. Pretty impressive run by the organization even in a small league.

as an aside, i thought it was likely a wierd game for Rene as he only touched the ball twice or so during the game
7 straight years in the West Final, and 10 out of the last 11 years.

7 times the host, and a 6-4 overall record.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 09:52 PM   #212
Flickered Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I will put this in here, Danny Austin with an excellent article including an Arbuckle to Ottawa rumor.

https://calgarysun.com/sports/footba...his-off-season
Flickered Flame is offline   Reply With Quote