Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-18-2015, 01:33 AM   #21
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Maybe another case of investing some time and attention to a potential interest that pays off a year or 2 later.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:34 PM   #22
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Blog comparing Bailey to Rick Nash?

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2015...y-lions-hockey

Quote:
I don’t mean to be hyperbolic, but Bailey’s pattern in his three season reminds me of another well known character in hockey circles, one that I’m sure you’ve heard of. This person, first and foremost, is in the NHL. Just like Bailey, in his first season on a new team, he flashed promise in a limited amount of games, before disappointing in year two. In year three, he’s made all the adjustments, and is just currently tearing the league up.

Who am I thinking of? None other than Rick Nash of the New York Rangers.

Yes, it might be a bit excessive to compare a third-year college hockey player to the NHL’s leading goal-scorer this season, but the pattern is there. And as a player, while Bailey might not exactly have the puck-handling skills that Nash possesses, they certainly share the aggressive mentality and powerful shot that is necessary for any offensive force. And that’s exactly what both players have been for their respective teams.

Nash was a former No. 1 overall pick in the NHL Draft, and Bailey certainly won’t be that. But he has a chance, I believe, to eventually be a Nash-lite type player. They have similar frames (Nash is 6-foot-4, 213 pounds, while Bailey is 6-foot-3 and 205), and use their big bodies for similar positive purposes. They’re both just as effective away from the puck as they are with it. It might seem an excessive comparison at first, but Nash and Bailey are more similar than one might initially suspect.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2015, 10:59 PM   #23
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Last edited by sureLoss; 02-07-2015 at 11:10 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:11 AM   #24
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

He looks awesome in those clips. He could definitely be the big bodied RW we've been looking for.

Hopefully Treliving and Hartley sweetened him up before he left camp and he signs in the off season.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:54 AM   #25
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was looking at the Boston U game and lineup and this player caught my eye.

Ahti Oksanen, good size and stats although you don't see many Euros come over to play college hockey.

http://www.goterriers.com/sports/m-h...en_822416.html

Is he worth looking at?
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:19 PM   #26
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

Looking at the stats I would have thought Oksanen is a forward. 18 goals and 7 assists in 25 games.

ClubFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:42 PM   #27
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubFlames View Post
Looking at the stats I would have thought Oksanen is a forward. 18 goals and 7 assists in 25 games.
I talked about him in the OP.

He is a forward this year and on Eichel's wing. He has been converted to forward because his defense is not that great.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:05 PM   #28
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great post sureLoss

I like the idea of picking up assets like these. Flames are fun young team, might be easier to attract young free agents than in years past.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:11 PM   #29
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oksanen is terrible as a defenseman, but might be able to convert up front. I don't think he has it in him to start in the NHL right away. I think he would likely be an AHLer for a year or two before getting a full time shot.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:12 PM   #30
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's great to have Gaudreau on the team, just so he can sell his experience to other college guys. The Oilers have done well in attracting them, even if none of them have seemed to pan out. I see no reason why the Flames would be an unattractive destination to college free agents with the rapid progression we've gone through this year.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:41 PM   #31
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
It's great to have Gaudreau on the team, just so he can sell his experience to other college guys. The Oilers have done well in attracting them, even if none of them have seemed to pan out. I see no reason why the Flames would be an unattractive destination to college free agents with the rapid progression we've gone through this year.
Actually, I think the better advocate would actually be Josh Jooris. He signed with little fan fare, but earned a spot through his excellent play. He would rightly be able to tell the guys that are UFA from the NCAA, that if you play well, the Flames will make room.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2015, 09:28 AM   #32
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

How's Bailey's skating and stickhandling? Hard to tell from those clips.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:31 AM   #33
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Oksanen is terrible as a defenseman, but might be able to convert up front. I don't think he has it in him to start in the NHL right away. I think he would likely be an AHLer for a year or two before getting a full time shot.
Was he not originally a forward, converted to D and now (probably rightfully so) back to forward...
Old 02-21-2015, 12:20 PM   #34
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

Is this guy having a fluke year or is he as good as his numbers suggest? In comparison, Gillies has a.931 save % and a 2.000 GAA in 29 games this year.

http://www.uscho.com/stats/player/mi...2/kyle-hayton/
http://www.uscho.com/stats/player/mi...lies/#20142015

Quote:
According to veteran coach Rand Pecknold of Quinnipiac, there is a freshman in college hockey with numbers so gaudy, he should be considered a serious candidate for National Player of the Year. No, his name is not Jack Eichel. 20-year-old Kyle Hayton of Saint Lawrence took the reins of the goaltending job as soon as he arrived up in Canton, and has played 29 of their 30 games to date, sporting an ungodly .940 save percentage. The Saints were picked for 11th place in the pre-season ECAC Hockey polls, and due in large part to Hayton’s stellar play, they are currently in second place with a good shot at an opening round bye. Every NHL team passed on the 5’ 11” Hayton in the draft the last three years, so college hockey’s most dynamic goalie is a free agent from here on in.
http://hockeythisweek.com/kyle-hayto...htw-interview/

Last edited by Rerun; 02-21-2015 at 03:09 PM.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:03 PM   #35
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
Can't recall off the top of my head but has there been a significant NHL goalie or goalie prospect under 6 feet tall in the last decade?
Old 02-21-2015, 02:31 PM   #36
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Can't recall off the top of my head but has there been a significant NHL goalie or goalie prospect under 6 feet tall in the last decade?
Not surprising considering the butterfly style that goalies play now. When you're always down on your knees it helps a lot to be tall with a long reach.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:36 PM   #37
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

20 year old rookie

Last year, as a 19 year old in the USHL, his stats were ordinary.

With his size, I would suspect he will continue to be a 'free agent' for a while
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:51 PM   #38
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Without knowing anything else about him, I think he's worth taking a chance on.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:36 PM   #39
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

With NCAA playoffs starting next week, we should start hearing about free agent signings as teams get eliminated.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:40 PM   #40
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

According to this article the Sabres and Bruins are named among the NHL teams that are interested in Bailey. Article did mention he went to the Flames development camp, but did not say anything about interest.

http://www.wjactv.com/sports/feature...est-2362.shtml

edit: go watch the video in the link... The kid has an unreal shot. If his ability to find the open ice in the offensive zone and get that shot off translate to he NHL, he will fit nicely with a lot of the pass first players the Flames have.

Last edited by sureLoss; 02-22-2015 at 04:51 PM.