Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2020, 06:20 PM   #6801
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
And how do they know this exactly? Were they conducting a poll as people entered the buildings?

Not that I'm saying Jones is wrong, but what's the source for this info?
It's more of Van Jones trying to 'scare' the left to go vote. Non story.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:23 PM   #6802
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
And he's getting destroyed on Twitter for it, people dont want to acknowledge that.
And he should. It's his playbook every 4 years.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:39 PM   #6803
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
And he's getting destroyed on Twitter for it, people dont want to acknowledge that.
How many people is that? How many of those people are not telling the truth, because voter roles and registrations are easily validated to prove this claim is bull####? How many of those people were paid plants (a common Trump practice) to provide that disinformation? If a claim like this is made it has to match up with the data available about voter registrations, and that doesn't appear to be the case.

https://electioninnovation.org/new-v...tions-in-2020/

For example, there's a lot of stories out there about the Republicans crushing the Democrats in new registrations in states like Florida. Here's the data from Florida.

https://www.dos.myflorida.com/electi...y-affiliation/

From 2017 to 2020 the numbers look like this:

Republicans - go from 4,544,708 to 5,020,199 (+475,471)
Democrats - go from 4,807,950 to 5,203,795 (+395,845)
Independents - go from 3,449,005 to 3,653,046 (+207,041)

Republicans are crushing, right? Except they are still 183,596 behind the Democrats in total registrations. What is also missing here is the number of voters that have fallen off the rolls during that time because they have died. Does the growth keep pace with or exceed the numbers dying off?

Vox takes this issue apart pretty well.

https://www.vox.com/recode/2020/10/1...-election-2020

Again, there is a lot of data missing from Van Jones' claim, which is why people are jumping up his ass.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:47 PM   #6804
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

New Era. These people are not you. They are not doing the breakdown. They are just ripping him cause he said watch it.
It was the same after the State of the Union when Jones said Trump is reaching out to blacks.

Immediately its STFU.

Old 10-19-2020, 06:52 PM   #6805
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Read for yourself. This is QAnon level bull####. Hunter Biden has a room rented in the basement of Comet Ping Pong, right next to the pedophilia dungeon.

https://www.snopes.com/news/2020/10/...ptop-giuliani/

The intelligence community seems to believe it is a Russian intelligence operation. It has their fingerprints all over it. From the "suspicious" documents being discovered on an unencrypted hard drive, to the players involved, it all just walks, talks, and smells like a GRU operation.
I never in a million years thought I’d be checking Snopes because no legitimate news organization could provide the info I needed about a story they’ve repeatedly covered.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 07:23 PM   #6806
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Republicans are crushing, right? Except they are still 183,596 behind the Democrats in total registrations. What is also missing here is the number of voters that have fallen off the rolls during that time because they have died. Does the growth keep pace with or exceed the numbers dying off?
Another thing is that voter registration changes tend to trail actually voting patterns. Someone doesn't make up their mind first to change their voter registration and then make up their mind to vote for the other party. In 2016, there were a number of registered democrats who had become disappointed with the democrats over the years, and in that election voted for Trump. Then, in the years that followed they changed their voter registration to reflect that change of heart. So any gains that republicans have made in voter registration since 2016 may not be people who have changed political leanings since 2016, but rather people who changed the political leanings prior to 2016 and only changed their registration later.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:23 PM   #6807
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Debate Commission To Mute Candidates' Mics At Start Of Each Segment

https://www.npr.org/2020/10/19/92560...h0pNgLh4UhYcQs
Old 10-19-2020, 07:33 PM   #6808
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post

Quote:
In a statement, the Trump campaign said it was "committed to debating" Biden "regardless of last minute rule changes from the biased commission in their latest attempt to provide advantage to their favored candidate."
Lol.. Talk about a lack of self-awareness.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:55 PM   #6809
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Lol.. Talk about a lack of self-awareness.
Trump's game plan in the first debate was interrupt continuously, apparently people with a stutter will lose their train of thought when you do, it was Chris Christie's idea.

The biased debate commission just took away their strategy.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:09 PM   #6810
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Trump's game plan in the first debate was interrupt continuously, apparently people with a stutter will lose their train of thought when you do, it was Chris Christie's idea.

The biased debate commission just took away their strategy.

Doesn't matter. Even if they cut Trump's mic, I have no doubt he'll just yell across the stage anyway and do whatever he can to act like a petulant d**khead.

Frankly I'm surprised they're even having this final debate. You'd think they would have learned their lesson after the first one that it's a complete waste of everyone's time. What's the point in debating a guy who flat out lies every time he opens his mouth?
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 09:20 PM   #6811
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Trump calls CNN "dumb bastards". He calls Fauci a "disaster" he was seen today at numerous gatherings with no mask surrounded by people with no masks. I think he's on full tilt.
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 09:26 PM   #6812
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Totally biased to take away his ability to cheat.

Debating him is useless.

"Hey Trump, what is your plan to replace Obamacare?"

Trump: It will be the best plan and way better than Obamacare. We're going to spend billions. Obama spent billions and billions, but we are just going to spend billions. Everyone will be very happy.

Trump Supporters: Wow! Did you hear that everyone? He is going to replace the current plan with the best plan and it will even be cheaper! Sounds legit. How can anyone say he doesn't have policies?
Old 10-19-2020, 09:29 PM   #6813
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Read for yourself. This is QAnon level bull####. Hunter Biden has a room rented in the basement of Comet Ping Pong, right next to the pedophilia dungeon.

https://www.snopes.com/news/2020/10/...ptop-giuliani/

The intelligence community seems to believe it is a Russian intelligence operation. It has their fingerprints all over it. From the "suspicious" documents being discovered on an unencrypted hard drive, to the players involved, it all just walks, talks, and smells like a GRU operation.
Isn't the typical playbook of the Russians to produce valid information, such as Hillary's emails?

I still wish someone would address that the emails may very well be genuine, but there is absolutely zero hard evidence Joe Biden did anything wrong. If his son is a bit scuzzy, who cares. Trump put his scuzzy son in law in the Whitehouse, and there is at least equally strong evidence he's leveraged the crap out of that position for personal gain.

With Twitter and Facebook straight up blocking the article and no one addressing the content of the emails, it's creating a Streisand Effect and getting the right further riled up that they are being "silenced".

I'd rather Facebook, Twitter, etc. auto-post fact checking info rather than censor. Censorship will just give more ammo for the disinformation campaigns, and they will find new places to spread. Censorship is a game of whack-o-mole destined to fail. Education and promotion of accurate information and critical thinking are the only path forward.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:32 PM   #6814
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post

They need to put them in separate rooms so he can't just yell at the top of his lungs when muted.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 09:51 PM   #6815
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
I always wonder how low standards are in the US have when it comes to organizing something this basic.

I once had to wait in line for maybe 15 minutes to vote, and I still remember how annoyed I was.

If we had to wait for 2 hours here to vote, heads might roll.
The last city election here was pretty bad 5:00pm the line did a full lap around my kids school.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:03 PM   #6816
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
The last city election here was pretty bad 5:00pm the line did a full lap around my kids school.
I voted on one of the early voting dates for the federal election in Chilliwack waited at least an hour or more.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2020, 10:05 PM   #6817
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

It must really depend on where you live. The last time I voted in a federal election in Canada, there was no line up at all. The people working the polls looked bored as hell and were excited when I stepped up to vote.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:08 PM   #6818
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
It must really depend on where you live. The last time I voted in a federal election in Canada, there was no line up at all. The people working the polls looked bored as hell and were excited when I stepped up to vote.
agreed my typical election experience here is 15 minutes or less. that's why the last city one stands out so much. can't remember how long the line what but it was Banana Republic America bad.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:08 PM   #6819
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Isn't the typical playbook of the Russians to produce valid information, such as Hillary's emails?
No. The Russian playbook is actually to forge damaging information and documents and “salt” these with innocuous but authentic documents obtained through hacking or unlawful means. That’s what the Russians tried with Emanuel Macron.

That’s why it’s unwise for Hunter Biden to make any comments about this at all—it only gives credence to an obviously fake story by giving the propagandists a chance to trot out some authentic Burisma email and say that was on the hard drive too.

Meanwhile—and honestly, not picking on you—but this “story” Giuliani and Bannon have concocted is so transparently stupid a child could see through it. We are asked to believe that Hunter Biden, who lives in LA, drunk-drove to a PC repair shop in Delaware, dropped off 3 laptops for unspecified “repairs“, because a) that is totally a thing normal people do, and b) there are no laptop repair places in LA where he lives, apparently? Then he forgets he did that, and the owner of the shop instead of calling him looks at the contents of the hard drives, and then gives them to the FBI who wants the hard drive because reasons.

Except actually he also kept a copy when he turned the documents over! And when the FBI didn’t seem to be doing anything this unnamed PC repair shop owner gives all of this to Rudy bleeping Giuliani, America’s unhinged pocket-dialing uncle. Why? Because he is a PATRIOT, that’s why, and America deserves to know about something something Hunter Biden Burisma something something. And who better to deliver that message to America than Donald Trump’s shrillest and least credible shill!

Be honest: do you believe even one word of that? And do you think there is any upside in dignifying this idiotic alt-right fantasy with a response? I don’t. Biden is doing the right thing by ignoring it.

Because in addition to being childish and dumb, this story is also quite clearly Russian disinformation designed to support the candidate they favour. Don’t take my word for it: the signatories to this letter say that’s exactly what this is and they are in a position to know.

https://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000...7-579f9b330000
Old 10-19-2020, 10:35 PM   #6820
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Beat to it by Iowa.
Closed Thread