Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2020, 06:08 AM   #1
kootenayguy9
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default What are your thoughts on Ebikes?

So I decided to cancel my gym membership and purchase an ebike with the money I am saving. Has anybody done the same thing? I know there is a cycling thread on CP but I think there should be one ebikes. Does anyone have any good advice on their experiences in the ebike world? We are so fortunate to have so many great places to ride in Calgary and surrounding areas. One thing I read that I find interesting about ebikes is that they are “Climate change proof”as you can easily change your tires depending on what the weather and trail conditions are like.
kootenayguy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:54 AM   #2
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t know if an e-bike and a gym membership cancel each other out. I find that an e-bike is like going for a brisk walk with moderate heart rate increase but not into my cardio zone aside form the odd hill. I’ve got about 3000 km on mine now that I am back everyday at work.

I use mine as a commenter and have a Rad City. That Bike is purely a pathway/commuter bike. The bike thread has had Ebike s discussed a few times so I’d a good resource to search through
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2020, 12:21 PM   #3
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Only ppl with e-bikes are people with DUI's and need to get to work
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to skudr248 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 09:47 AM   #4
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Check out the cycling thread and ask some questions there. We've had a few good conversations about ebikes and some of the folks there are very knowledgable about brands and what to look for and avoid.

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=169784
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:15 AM   #5
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I have two ebikes. One is a RadRover (fat bike) and one is a Sondors Fold X.

The RadRover - presumably because of resistance due to the fat tires and weight - can give me a great workout. I use pedal assist five (maximum) on the way to work so I don't get super sweaty and I use assist two on the way home and can really get my heartrate going. I pedal as fast as I can to try to set a new record every day, which is really fun.

The Sondors Fold X is also fun, but not as comfortable for commuting. I do take it with me on vacation and camping because it's so easy to transport. Literally folds up into nothing and I can throw it in my vehicle without taking up any space.

I've started letting my daughter ride the Sondors now that she's 14 and has been driving so she knows the rules of the road. My wife rides it sometimes as well and we've gone on some really fun rides just the two of us. My wife is 5'3" and I'm 6'4" and the Fold is comfortable for both of us as it's super adjustable.

The Rad bike feels higher quality than the Sondors, so I'd recommend that if you're looking in that price range, but I do love them both. The Sondors has smaller diameter wheels, so feels torqueier unless you upgrade the Rad. I did just add a new controller, display and motor from www.boltonebikes.com and the Rad will basically climb up a wall now, so that's pretty cool.

Anyway, as a fun mode of transportation I don't think they can be beat. It's so awesome using the bike pathways on a motorized vehicle. They're like a warp zone for getting around while you have a great time. I've had the Sondors for three years and the RadRover since January and I'll never get tired of them.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 10:18 AM   #6
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've got the RadRunner and love it. It is fun to mod and just makes cycling more enjoyable.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 10:41 AM   #7
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

My 74 year old dad purchased an e-bike after being instructed by doc to lose weight. From a caloric standpoint, it might not be all that different than perhaps brisk walking, but the difference is he took to it like mad and was out every day this summer, averaging maybe 25k a day. Lost a decent amount of weight too. He simply wasn't going to do the same with walking, hiking etc. So my advice is whatever works for you and motivates you to get out and be active. They are definitely heavy and cost a fair bit. An entry level e-bike will get you more of a mid range road/mountain I believe.

And most notably for me, at almost 40 years old, I went on my first bike ride with my dad this summer.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 10:46 AM   #8
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

One of Canada's Top 50 startups this year is a Calgary company called DJ Bikes. I believe they import electric bikes from China. Dude running it was also an ATB entrepreneur success story - you probably saw him on the ATB commercials last year.

If you're considering an e-bike, give them a look. You'd be supporting local.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 11:51 AM   #9
JR449
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Is there anything that can handle the fury of winter??
JR449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:35 PM   #10
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR449 View Post
Rules #5 &9: HTFU; Badass
Shut up legs

https://www.velominati.com/
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 12:50 PM   #11
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenayguy9 View Post
So I decided to cancel my gym membership and purchase an ebike with the money I am saving. Has anybody done the same thing? I know there is a cycling thread on CP but I think there should be one ebikes. Does anyone have any good advice on their experiences in the ebike world? We are so fortunate to have so many great places to ride in Calgary and surrounding areas. One thing I read that I find interesting about ebikes is that they are “Climate change proof”as you can easily change your tires depending on what the weather and trail conditions are like.
eBikes are a game changer. I've put 5000km on mine. It takes away any excuse you might have for not riding in my opinion. Costs are variable depending on what you go with. I'm looking at an electric cargo bike to be our "second car" and I want something that will be a little more robust. So I'm looking at a Tern GSD S00, but the one I want is like $9000. The rad power bikes are a much cheaper alternative, but I have concerns about the serviceability of those and how long the hub drive motor will last long term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I don’t know if an e-bike and a gym membership cancel each other out. I find that an e-bike is like going for a brisk walk with moderate heart rate increase but not into my cardio zone aside form the odd hill. I’ve got about 3000 km on mine now that I am back everyday at work.

I use mine as a commenter and have a Rad City. That Bike is purely a pathway/commuter bike. The bike thread has had Ebike s discussed a few times so I’d a good resource to search through
This is completely dependent on you as the rider. I used my electric mostly when I had wind or when I had a hill to climb. But eBike riders are proven to ride longer and more often, so it's a net benefit. You can dial up or down your pedal-assist. I often had an average heart rate of around 135 bpm even with mild pedal assist and I kept a lot of weight off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR449 View Post
Any bike can handle winter if you prepare it properly. I rode my Simcoe Roadster that I converted to an eBike all winter (my winter bike was stolen). Be careful though, winter in Calgary eats bikes.
GGG
Old 10-20-2020, 01:43 PM   #12
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
eBikes are a game changer. I've put 5000km on mine. It takes away any excuse you might have for not riding in my opinion. Costs are variable depending on what you go with. I'm looking at an electric cargo bike to be our "second car" and I want something that will be a little more robust. So I'm looking at a Tern GSD S00, but the one I want is like $9000. The rad power bikes are a much cheaper alternative, but I have concerns about the serviceability of those and how long the hub drive motor will last long term.
A 750 watt Bagfang motor for a RadWagon is $249 USD and you'd also need the RadPower Upgrade Kit for $139. Dirt cheap for tons of power. It's really not a concern if you want to upgrade the motor or if it craps out.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 01:49 PM   #13
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Perhaps I don't understand ebikes. Please help me to do so. My big question, simply (and harshly) put, isn't it a bike for lazy people? Wouldn't you be better off to just ride a regular pedal bike?
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 01:57 PM   #14
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Perhaps I don't understand ebikes. Please help me to do so. My big question, simply (and harshly) put, isn't it a bike for lazy people? Wouldn't you be better off to just ride a regular pedal bike?
It makes cycling as a daily activity even more accessible. Longer commutes can be done with less effort, larger loads can be carried (cargo bikes), hills are flattened, headwinds are lessened. It's a great advancement to get more people riding bikes so we can continue the war on cars.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 02:02 PM   #15
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Most ebikes just assist you. You still have to pedal. Like others have said, you'll burn less calories but they allow you go further. For someone with a longer commute, it will help get them to work more quickly, less sweaty but still get some exercise in.

On something like a cargo bike or pulling the kids they would be great.

They're also fun.

I'll be getting one when I slow down on my regular bike. Hopefully by then the road bike ones have come down in price.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 02:08 PM   #16
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I’ve been spying the radwagon for carting my kids around. I currently have a yuba xtra cycle cargo but from my place if I dip into the river valley, I’ve got to come out of the river valley and if I’ve got the kids on the bike that isn’t happening without a lot of cursing.

I know I’d use the bike a lot more if it had the e option on it.

TL DR: I want one and will follow discussion here to get an idea if it is a decent purchase or not

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 02:09 PM   #17
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
They greatly improve accessibility for those who want to be able to bike (for recreation, longer distances, up hills, with cargo, etc) but cannot (due to fitness, health, weight, or other reasons).

They can also be good for allowing non-biking friends or partners to keep up with more fitness oriented cycling enthusiasts. Or if you want to bike to work but don't want to or can't shower when you get there. They can be used to expand your range so that you can go on more interesting or longer rides. Or if you used to be a serious mountain biker but age and kids have caught up with you.

It doesn't seem to me like laziness is a primary motivation to get an ebike though as those people would just drive.

Last edited by Flames0910; 10-20-2020 at 02:14 PM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 02:10 PM   #18
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
It makes cycling as a daily activity even more accessible. Longer commutes can be done with less effort, larger loads can be carried (cargo bikes), hills are flattened, headwinds are lessened. It's a great advancement to get more people riding bikes so we can continue the war on cars.

Commuting / carrying cargo makes sense. I can buy into that.

But as someone who uses their bikes purely for pleasure and training purposes, and treats hills and headwind as an extra training bonus (rule #5), I have a hard time respecting my (totally mobile) neighbour who is bragging to me about doing 60K in two hours, only to drop later in the conversation that it was on his eBike.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 02:12 PM   #19
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My commute is about 20k each way. I would commute 3 times a week depending on how I was feeling and while doing that was not feeling like going for runs, mountain biking, and other things because I wanted to rest. I just end up over training.

Instead with the E-bike I can commute every day and feel rested and its about 10 minutes faster. I am then back to normal evening and weekend energy levels. I also use it for any car trip I would be taking by myself. So grocery trips etc. I hauled my thanksgiving meal groceries including the turkey back.

These were just things I wasn't doing without the E-bike. So am I Lazy? That is definitely part of the benefit. Instead of expending energy especially on the short post work trips around the neighborhood I now can put in very little effort. However overall my activity level increased and E-biking decreased driving and didn't displace any other physical activity.

An E-bike is a summer car replacement, not a bike replacement.

Last edited by GGG; 10-20-2020 at 02:35 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 02:15 PM   #20
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I say this with affection, but knowing Sliver's fondness for his Rascal scooter and the reason he uses it, means him riding an ebike is 100% laziness and I respect that.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post: