Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-25-2019, 05:13 PM   #101
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
The commercial where he mansplains the game to Doug is ironic. Vic is basically Doug.
That's not really what mansplaining is. Vic could mansplain to Russ, he's not mansplaining to Doug.

Last edited by Roughneck; 02-25-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:12 PM   #102
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
That's not really what mansplaining is. Vic could mansplain to Russ, he's not mansplaining to Doug.
To Russ?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:24 PM   #103
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Wasn’t able to watch. Do they use the free-guard rule.
There's some talk of them trying a modified (even further) version of this at one or some of the tour events where you cannot even touch the opponents stone for the first five rocks, therefore eliminating the "tick" shot. Would be interesting to see how this would go.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 02-25-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:29 AM   #104
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
There's some talk of them trying a modified (even further) version of this at one or some of the tour events where you cannot even touch the opponents stone for the first five rocks, therefore eliminating the "tick" shot. Would be interesting to see how this would go.
That sounds terrible to me. It takes skill to regularly pull off the tick shot and I'd hate to remove that skill. Also the shot is risky - fully removing the rock is a disaster and missing the rock entirely is also a disaster - missed tick shots can lead to some very interesting ends.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2019, 08:59 PM   #105
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since there’s no Brier thread I’ll post this here. What an amazing final. Koe is outstanding.

That said, here’s another example of why I hate Vic. On the double to win Here is Vic’s play by play: “Are they going to love it far enough? Noooooooooo”.

Spoiler alert: They moved it far enough. It was an amazing shot by Koe to win the Brier and Vic had no idea what colour Alberta was. That is unforgivable. Your job is to call the play and you can’t figure out if a rock is dramatically closer. That’s worse than what he did in the Scottie’s. And Russ and Cheryl continued to say brilliant way more than needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2019, 09:09 PM   #106
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Glencoe Club represent
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:38 PM   #107
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Koe is cold as ice. 4 time Brier champion is incredible.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:42 AM   #108
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Came down to the last rock again! I found myself rooting for Bottcher and Moulding but E=NG feels great nonetheless. Tough loss for Bottcher though. His patience and great skipping put him in exactly that spot to take command of the game, but the adrenaline got to him. Man is Koe ever clutch. How many last rock wins was that this week...3?

Sigh, this always marks a low point of the sports season for me. Nothing beats the Brier.

Oh and Vic is awesome. If you know the game well enough to hate his odd gaff, you know it well enough to not need him to nail every call. Much like Bob Cole’s voice makes you feel like it’s Saturday night, Vic Rauter’s Makes you feel like it’s Scotties/Brier season.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2019, 08:27 AM   #109
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

After losing his first 2 of the Alberta tankard, Koe is on quite a roll. Imagine if he blows through the world championships with out losing?

Tough for Bottcher, but if Koe has the last shot of a game, seems like he is winning rather often.

And Vic is great. An announcing mistake doesn't affect my enjoyment one bit, but listening to the three of them through the course of a week is a joy.

Last edited by Strange Brew; 03-11-2019 at 10:18 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2019, 04:15 PM   #110
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Vic I'm okay with but Russ and Cheryl were so negative especially early in the week when a few of the teams (Manitoba) were struggling. "That's just awful" and "they should have this figured out by now" were not terms they used during the Scotties. It was "the ice" or "frost" or "a slow spot" whenever one of the Ladies missed a shot. Unless Gushue was playing Russ has a permanent boner for Gushue from that gold medal thing. I couldn't listen to them, watched with the volume down most of the time.

I prefer Kevin Martin and Joan on Sportsnet over Howard and Bernard on TSN.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:18 AM   #111
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Vic I'm okay with but Russ and Cheryl were so negative especially early in the week when a few of the teams (Manitoba) were struggling. "That's just awful" and "they should have this figured out by now" were not terms they used during the Scotties. It was "the ice" or "frost" or "a slow spot" whenever one of the Ladies missed a shot. Unless Gushue was playing Russ has a permanent boner for Gushue from that gold medal thing. I couldn't listen to them, watched with the volume down most of the time.

I prefer Kevin Martin and Joan on Sportsnet over Howard and Bernard on TSN.
I actually like that Russ & Cheryl aren't afraid to be negative. Sometimes a bad miss is just a bad miss. I hate when the commentators make excuses. I find they are usually pretty spot on as to what went wrong - if the skip gives too much or too little ice Russ usually tells the viewer that before the shot is even thrown, if there is a faster line they are usually on top of that. No reason the skips shouldn't know the ice as well as the commentary team.
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:55 AM   #112
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
That said, here’s another example of why I hate Vic. On the double to win Here is Vic’s play by play: “Are they going to love it far enough? Noooooooooo”.
Do you know what Vic is watching when he makes that call? Is he watching the tv feed that we see or is he in the booth looking down at an angle?

I think the problem is more likely his vantage point. When events are being called the announcer is usually watching the play, not a screen.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:47 PM   #113
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Carey's Team Canada is having an awful time at the Worlds.

3-4 record and haven't played the big teams yet.

Top 6 make the playoffs. 6-6 might get in.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:16 PM   #114
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have not been able to watch but following the results. What is going wrong for her? Absolutely smoked by the Americans. A five ender against and a steal of 4 against.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:12 AM   #115
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

another split day, so now Canada is 5-5 with two games to go tomorrow, against Sweden and Denmark.

6-6 may squeak in to one of the 6 playoffs spots, maybe a tiebreaker.

I'm not sure what's wrong. Carey also struggled at her only other world championship appearance, 4th place in 2016.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:27 AM   #116
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
another split day, so now Canada is 5-5 with two games to go tomorrow, against Sweden and Denmark.

6-6 may squeak in to one of the 6 playoffs spots, maybe a tiebreaker.

I'm not sure what's wrong. Carey also struggled at her only other world championship appearance, 4th place in 2016.
Here are their numbers after today

Carey 73%
Wikes 82%
Ferguson 83%
Brown 84%

Pretty clear where the weak link is thus far though from what i have seen and its maybe half of their games, Wilkes misses have really put Chelsea in difficult positions to make shots but she has also flat out missed open draws and easy raises.

They cant lose again basically but she has really not figured out the ice at all making that extremely unlikely.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:29 AM   #117
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

How the f do we lose to countries where curling can’t be nearly as big as it is in the frozen north?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:35 AM   #118
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

I've always thought with Worlds it's a case of peaking too soon. You get up for the Scotties/Brier and it's hard to get back to that peak two/three weeks later for the World's. Obviously it's doable as we've won so many times, but when they come out flat, I feel it's a bit more of that than anything.
That's why the months from the Roar to the Olympics is important (well - not in 2018 apparently...)
Old 03-22-2019, 11:18 AM   #119
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Canada lost to Sweden this morning and have been eliminated.

https://www.tsn.ca/canada-misses-pla...rlds-1.1277654

Old 03-22-2019, 07:36 PM   #120
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not making it to top 6 is rather shocking given how tournament tested this team is.