Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-06-2018, 11:42 PM   #261
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I haven't seen anyone mention that wacky sequence where Smith was behind the net on the penalty kill pinning the puck against the boards! I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Would love to see a replay, if anyone has it!
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:47 PM   #262
KipperFaNaTic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Unpopular opinion incoming.

I do not think the hit was dirty.

-Dumba was playing desperation hockey in the final minute in a close game so I understand his aggression
-Dumba did not leave his feet to deliver the hit (he jumped after contact)
-Dumba did not hit the head IMO. My eyes saw Dumba's forearm hit Backlund's sternum. But I do admit that this point is arguable.
-Backlund has his head down. Why are you going into the slot with your head down.
-Backlund still had the puck in the vicinity.

I thought Lomberg's response was sufficient for the hit. I believe Backlund will be playing on Saturday, and we will all move on.
KipperFaNaTic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KipperFaNaTic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2018, 11:48 PM   #263
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipperFaNaTic View Post

-Dumba was playing desperation hockey in the final minute in a close game so I understand his aggression
-Dumba did not hit the head IMO. My eyes saw Dumba's forearm hit Backlund's sternum. But I do admit that this point is arguable.
-Backlund has his head down. Why are you going into the slot with your head down.

I thought Lomberg's response was sufficient for the hit. I believe Backlund will be playing on Saturday, and we will all move on.
Agreed. Not that bad
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:52 PM   #264
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

No breakaways against. Not many odd-man rushes against. Flames played well defensively, and Smith made the big saves (all the saves in this case) when needed. You can't go far in the playoffs if your team isn't able to play this type of game.

What I really notice with Peters' system is how good the players on the ice at being aware of defencemen jumping into the play. I felt Hartley's teams were also really good at rotating right away and covering for defencemen. Late in the game, I think it was Brodie that jumped deep into the zone, and I saw Mangiapane just rotate right in and cover for him. I was afraid with him being a rookie and not getting much practice time with the squad, that he may not notice or take too long to recognize it. Nope. Straight away, no hesitation. They rotate so well out there. Gulutzan didn't have the defencemen activating nearly as much, so you didn't see this happening. It is just really cool seeing this team being constantly aware of the situations on the ice, and fulfilling their responsibilities defensively.

Also, I love Lomberg. There is something to be said about one of the smaller players on your team being the 'goon'. I like how he went right at Dumba, but once he got a shot in or two and Dumba turtled, he didn't continue throwing.

Also, screw the Wild fans. They think Calgary is a dirty team? Ha! Yeah, that Giordano check I do think was dirty, and I hate seeing crap like that from the team I cheer for, but I bet it was unintentional. More reactionary. How about a team that comes out with a plan on neutralizing an opposing player by continually whacking him on the hands with their sticks? The Wild are always a cheap team. Usually boring as watching paint dry too. Cool logo though.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2018, 11:52 PM   #265
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

^^^ I agree with all of your points except that Dumba did not hit the head. Backlund made himself vulnerable and Dumba has to step up and try to keep the puck in somehow but for me initial and principle point of contact was the head and the follow through hit his chest, that video that AC posted on page 12 is nice and clear and that's what I'm seeing on it anyway.

Hope you are right about Backlund playing on Saturday, best for everybody involved to be able to turn the page.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:53 PM   #266
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Seeing it live, and now on replay, I am optimistic based on how he left the ice. He looked fairly steady on his skates. I haven't seen any footage of him on the bench or going down the tunnel.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:55 PM   #267
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipperFaNaTic View Post

I tend to agree.

Backlund was a little low on that hit and Dumb was past the point of no return IMO. Dumba did leave his feet, but I can't tell if it was before or after the hit. It's not like he leaped into Backlund.

Obviously none of us liked how the hit turned out, but at the speed of the game, I don't think Dumba could have reacted much differently. Certainly no intent on his part other than to deliver a solid hit. Backlund's body position had a lot to do with the outcome.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:02 AM   #268
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

The hit wasn’t dirty but it’s a garbage and classless play to blow a guy up like that at that point in the game. Kind of an “unwritten rule” thing.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 12:06 AM   #269
Flamette
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Anyone know how Fro is coming along? Timetable? If Backs is out we could use him.
In the Sun on Wednesday:

“Flames winger Michael Frolik had a setback in his recovery from a lower-body injury. He hasn’t even skated in the past week.”
Flamette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flamette For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 12:10 AM   #270
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

I agree it wasn't much of a dirty hit from Dumba, it was more the circumstances that made it bad. Still I cheered Lomberg straightening Dumba out, and deep down in the spur of the moment I was hoping that Peters would pull a Hartley and goon it up completely at the end of the game only because Dumba was still at the ice. That would obviously have been horrible though.
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crapshoot For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 12:13 AM   #271
DomeFoam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Dumba... what a piece of ####. Trying to be a big man in front of his hometown friends. No need for that garbage at that stage in the game, try and score and be a real difference maker when you're down 2-0.
DomeFoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:26 AM   #272
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Johnny just moved past McGenerationalillness in the scoring race.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:29 AM   #273
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapshoot View Post
Johnny just moved past McGenerationalillness in the scoring race.
Not McDavid's fault, he might have gotten a headache in the last week! Or a hangnail!
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:36 AM   #274
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Not McDavid's fault, he might have gotten a headache in the last week! Or a hangnail!
Oh, there was a list of symptoms

I am glad that we don’t see crap like that

Most likely because the Flames just get ahead of it and win
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:42 AM   #275
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sure seems like Boudreau likes to have his team walk the line in terms of dirty play. He also says that the hit was a good hockey hit. He then proceeds to take issue with Lomberg being out there and I say that Lomberg's response was a good hockey team mate response. I don't like how disengenuous he is. That is the bed you make and you better be prepared to sleep in it.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:17 AM   #276
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
This is probably the greatest reaction gif post I've seen on this forum.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 01:18 AM   #277
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomeFoam View Post
Dumba... what a piece of ####. Trying to be a big man in front of his hometown friends. No need for that garbage at that stage in the game, try and score and be a real difference maker when you're down 2-0.
I hope his friends enjoyed watching Johnny skate circles around him all night
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 01:21 AM   #278
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
What I really notice with Peters' system is how good the players on the ice at being aware of defencemen jumping into the play. I felt Hartley's teams were also really good at rotating right away and covering for defencemen. Late in the game, I think it was Brodie that jumped deep into the zone, and I saw Mangiapane just rotate right in and cover for him. I was afraid with him being a rookie and not getting much practice time with the squad, that he may not notice or take too long to recognize it. Nope. Straight away, no hesitation. They rotate so well out there. Gulutzan didn't have the defencemen activating nearly as much, so you didn't see this happening. It is just really cool seeing this team being constantly aware of the situations on the ice, and fulfilling their responsibilities defensively.
This is why I referred to GG hockey as "3 vs 5" hockey. The forwards played deep and the defensemen played almost glued to their corner of the blue line.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 01:22 AM   #279
Gaudreau
Farm Team Player

Exp:

If Backlunds out I'd love to see a second line of Tkachuk-Bennett-Neal.
You could slot in Czarnik in Neal's spot on the third line and keep lines 1 and 4 the same as tonight.
Gaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:42 AM   #280
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
This is why I referred to GG hockey as "3 vs 5" hockey. The forwards played deep and the defensemen played almost glued to their corner of the blue line.
Which incidentally explains the whole GlueGun moniker.
The Following User Says Thank You to crapshoot For This Useful Post: