Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2019, 12:25 PM   #81
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Now I don't know what to be mad about!
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:46 PM   #82
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
And the police probably weren't looking forward to having their investigation picked apart and errors highlighted for something that had little gain.
like all the leaks from the PD.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:58 PM   #83
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

It appears this is a "he has suffered" enough decision.
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:05 PM   #84
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
It appears this is a "he has suffered" enough decision.
16 hours of community service this weekend:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1110640060720918530
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:17 PM   #85
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
And the police probably weren't looking forward to having their investigation picked apart and errors highlighted for something that had little gain.
Apparently they were.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1110567019873779714

Furthermore the Police investigate and gather evidence they don't decide who gets charged and who gets charges dropped.
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MelBridgeman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2019, 03:24 PM   #86
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

So...if I like a person (or their ideology) and the charges are dropped or they decide not to prosecute, he's clearly completely innocent.

But if I don't like someone (or their ideology) and the charges are dropped or they decide not to prosecute, he's clearly completely guilty and just got away with it.

I see...
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2019, 03:26 PM   #87
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
So...if I like a person (or their ideology) and the charges are dropped or they decide not to prosecute, he's clearly completely innocent.

But if I don't like someone (or their ideology) and the charges are dropped or they decide not to prosecute, he's clearly completely guilty and just got away with it.

I see...
It's hilariously transparent, too.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:29 PM   #88
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel took issue with Jussie Smollett telling reporters earlier that he was innocent, while "still running down the Chicago Police Department."

"How dare him? How dare him?" Rahm said.

"This is a person now who has been let off scot-free with no sense of accountability of the moral and ethical wrong of his actions," Emanuel said.

He admonished Smollett for "using hate crime laws that are on the books to protect people who are minorities from violence" only to "turn around and use those laws to advance your career and financial reward."

"Is there no decency in this man?" the mayor said.
From CNN
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:39 PM   #89
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by weitz View Post
from cnn
https://twitter.com/user/status/1110601581265907712
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2019, 04:13 PM   #90
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why is everything about ####ing "whataboutism".

No one is completely righteous and no one is completely evil, it's all various shades of grey.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:24 PM   #91
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Kim Foxx, the Cook County State’s Attorney, tried to convince Chicago police to turn the Jussie Smollett case over to the FBI, Chicago newspapers reported.

According to the Chicago Sun-Times, the effort by Foxx came after a former Michelle Obama chief of staff reached out to Foxx. The newspaper reported that the chief of staff and lawyer was a supporter of Smollett. She was described as Tina Tchen, “a Chicago attorney and former chief of staff for former First Lady Michelle Obama,” by the Sun-Times.

You can read the texts here.
https://heavy.com/news/2019/03/kim-f...a-tchen-obama/
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:58 PM   #92
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So what is it in it for Chicago PD to fake this? That they hate black people so much that they would ignore a hate crime and play the victim as a suspect?

Sorry don’t get it. Maybe I am far removed from that city. However I just don’t see the motivation to frame a guy vs. him just straight out lying?
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:08 AM   #93
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe it’s me. But are people not reading this properly? He did community service and forfeited his bail and the prosecution dropped the charges. Let’s be honest even if found guilty after a long trial that’s probably around what he’d of gotten anyways. The evidence against him and was available for everyone to read a page or so back. Wether he was found criminally guilty or not he still faked a attack to further his career.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Patek23 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2019, 06:26 AM   #94
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i thought the presser witht he mayor and the chief of police was somewhat interesting in that there were several uniformed members of the police standing behind the chief and mayor standing stone faced.

i am assuming it was meant as a display of unity.

anywyas, the whole situation seems odd.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:04 AM   #95
BBQorMILDEW
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So much for white privilege.
BBQorMILDEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:22 AM   #96
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
Maybe it’s me. But are people not reading this properly? He did community service and forfeited his bail and the prosecution dropped the charges. Let’s be honest even if found guilty after a long trial that’s probably around what he’d of gotten anyways. The evidence against him and was available for everyone to read a page or so back. Wether he was found criminally guilty or not he still faked a attack to further his career.
You aren’t reading it properly.

He did community service and forfeited his bail - yes, one would assume this is admission of guilt.

But then, after a behind closed doors deal of some kind, the judge sealed the case (no, the evidence is not available to anyone) and dropped the charges. Smollett then walked out of the building and proclaimed his undying innocence to the press.

I agree he wouldn’t have received more fines/service time, but the biggest penalty is being found guilty. To which he hasn’t been. Which undermines the entire police force.

Edit: see below for error corrections. Maybe I read bits of it wrong myself, but my point remains.

Last edited by Scroopy Noopers; 03-27-2019 at 07:33 AM.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2019, 07:27 AM   #97
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
But then, after a behind closed doors deal of some kind, the judge sealed the case (no, the evidence is not available to anyone) and dropped the charges. Smollett then walked out of the building and proclaimed his undying innocence to the press.
No. The prosecutors dropped the charges, not the judge. Judges do not do that. As for why it was sealed, it was presumably on the request of Smollett's lawyers, and the prosecutors did not object (though we can't know that for sure).
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2019, 07:44 AM   #98
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yah the biggest issue here is him coming out and still proclaiming his innocence. That's what makes this a weird story.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2019, 07:46 AM   #99
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Yah the biggest issue here is him coming out and still proclaiming his innocence. That's what makes this a weird story.
If it had gone like this: “I just want to put this all behind me and focus on my future”

Done. End of story.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2019, 08:00 AM   #100
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I were innocent and could prove it, I'd go to trial. The prosecution would likely just drop the charges at the point where the evidence showed I was innocent. Then I could walk out and say "See? I told you I was innocent". But if I were guilty and had this beautiful offer allowing me to walk free...I'd be all over it. I might even try to walk out and say "See? I told you I was innocent"...but only if I were a decent actor.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote