Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2019, 11:07 PM   #61
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSpring2013 View Post
wow.. can't wait for mono.. and benzo.. to make triumph return! such a exciting season.

Why are people keep doing this? For the thousand times....

Old 03-20-2019, 11:10 PM   #62
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

A Derek Ryan historical Flames comparable might very well be Dave Hindmarch (also out of U of A). Badger Bob absolutely loved the guy. Swiss Army Knife-type player. Too bad a goal post took out his knee. Led to some changes in net moorings after that incident.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:53 PM   #63
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
A Derek Ryan historical Flames comparable might very well be Dave Hindmarch (also out of U of A). Badger Bob absolutely loved the guy. Swiss Army Knife-type player. Too bad a goal post took out his knee. Led to some changes in net moorings after that incident.
I have to admit, I am not familiar enough with him to draw a comparison.

He didn't play for the Flames long, but I kind of get a Brian Skrudland vibe from Ryan. Not as physical or chippy, but the no nonsense attitude and ability to fit in anywhere in the line up.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 03-20-2019 at 11:55 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:58 PM   #64
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
Why are people keep doing this? For the thousand times....

Please post this when people start asking for Gaskal to post the ATL report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:06 AM   #65
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Wow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMatt View Post
You’re not even trying now...immediately after Neal was injured (literally the very next game) the boys went on a season high 7-game winning streak (Neal wasn’t skating then)

Feb 14 -Florida - loss (Neal injured in this game)
Pitt - won
Ari - won
NY - won
Ana - won
Ott - won
NY - won
NJ - won
Mar 02 - Minnesota- loss

I guess you’re still not changing your opinion, even though the “ inputs” you used to come to that opinion have been proven to be the EXACT opposite

It’s just so painful watching you post, it really is.

If I get the timing wrong, my bad. The point though, is that correlation doesn't equal causation. I fail to see how Neal absence makes the entire bottom six play better (and the top six which he wasn't even on play worse) which was the opinion I responded to. What you think is "proof" isn't.

As for my painful posts, there's an easy solution. A. Don't read. In fact, use ignore. Also B. Try not to use personal insults because it's not proper.

As for not changing my opinion, I don't even think you know what my opinion is.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:32 AM   #66
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
In his press availability today, Coach Peters said something relevant to this discussion about who comes out when Neal returns. He said Mangiapane has looked good with Doc and Hath and also with Janko and Czarnik "so there's a little bit of a common denominator in the 88 car". It sounds like Coach Peters has liked Mangiapane's game.

Not quite the 79 train but hopefully with just as much impact come playoff time...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:05 AM   #67
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
If I get the timing wrong, my bad. The point though, is that correlation doesn't equal causation. I fail to see how Neal absence makes the entire bottom six play better (and the top six which he wasn't even on play worse) which was the opinion I responded to. What you think is "proof" isn't.

As for my painful posts, there's an easy solution. A. Don't read. In fact, use ignore. Also B. Try not to use personal insults because it's not proper.

As for not changing my opinion, I don't even think you know what my opinion is.
if you're doubling down on them losing when Neal went out when in reality they went on a 7 game winning streak, the ignore list is probably a good idea.

No point reading posts arguing the sky is red.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:14 AM   #68
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
if you're doubling down on them losing when Neal went out when in reality they went on a 7 game winning streak, the ignore list is probably a good idea.

Pffffft, Neal is clearly some sort of reverse spirit bomb when it comes to scoring ability.

He goes down and our goal scoring team wide is as follows:

5, 5, 4, 2, 2, 3, 2, 2, 2, 1, 0

He starts skating with the team again, 3M line blows up the Knights and top line annihilates the Devils next game.

"Guys take my scoring energy!"

Old 03-21-2019, 11:17 AM   #69
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

The guy is walking good luck charm and may be a magician.

His teeth grew back a few days after all being knocked out!

There are no other explanations. Zero.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2019, 11:30 AM   #70
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You are missing the point. It’s not that they started losing when he left. It’s that you can’t point to him in or out as causing winning or losing. The Flames have won when was in. They’ve won when he was out. They were on both a seven game winning streak and a 4 game losing streak in his absence. Again, correlation is not causation. It’s a logical fallacy.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2019, 01:30 PM   #71
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
You are missing the point. It’s not that they started losing when he left. It’s that you can’t point to him in or out as causing winning or losing. The Flames have won when was in. They’ve won when he was out. They were on both a seven game winning streak and a 4 game losing streak in his absence. Again, correlation is not causation. It’s a logical fallacy.
No, you can't point to Neal as "causing" winning or losing, but you can point to Neal reducing the quality of our play relative to his replacement.

Through to the point of Neal's injury, the Flames were a 52.51% possession team and a 52.27% GF team 5v5. Since his injury, the Flames have been a 57.28% possession team and 59.57% GF team 5v5. Taking Neal's on-ice numbers - 50.20% CF and 40.98% GF and contrasting them with Czarnik's on-ice numbers since Neal's injury (since Czarnik has taken Neal's role) - 58.97% CF and 57.95% GF we see that it's not an insignificant difference. I think there's some merit to the idea that the Flames have experienced an improvement in their quality of play without Neal. That difference would probably be even more profound if the 1st line didn't slump after the all-star break.

The eye test shows why, too. Our third line forecheck is absolutely suffocating and they regularily finish their shift with a whistle in the offensive zone, and this is, on paper, beneficial to other lines too as they they can then start their shift with offensive zone faceoffs. Neal is not so effective as a forechecker in my opinion.

I don't dislike Neal, and I think a Czarnik - Bennett - Neal third line would have the best combination of abilities possible, but I do think the third line is better off playing fast rather than... well.. whatever they do when Neal is out there with Jankowski, which I wouldn't call playing fast.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 03-21-2019 at 01:33 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2019, 06:24 PM   #72
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
What about us collegian Mike Eaves- admittedly maybe a more early bloomer than doc ryan- was a smart cookie -
Pulled out of retirement while coaching the flames to join the 86 cup run
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote