Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2008, 10:37 PM   #161
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler View Post
Damn! This new Arsis - We Are The Nightmare is purdy good. Technical, but with plenty of melody (something a lot of "heavy" bands tend to forget about).

The new Torche (Meanderthal) is amazing as well. I'll definitely be grabbing a copy when it is officially released. Not sure if I would categorize it as Metal. But, that seems to encompass a number of different subsets in this day and age.

Not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread, but anyone who liked Dog Fashion Disco should check out their new incarnation: Polkadot Cadaver. It basically picks up where Adultery left off. Fan-tastic.
Agreed with Arsis. They are fantastic.

I don't know Torche, so I'll check them out.

Also I had no idea there was a new incarnation of Dog Fashion Disco. I loved that band!

Edit: Thank for you bringing up Polkadot Cadaver!

Last edited by AC; 04-07-2008 at 10:40 PM.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:43 PM   #162
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
I just saw Zimmer's Hole last night in Victoria. Awesome gig if you have a (warped) sense of humour as well as a love for the cheezy side of Metal. Go check them out in Calgary if they still have tickets available. Fun will be had by all... trust me.
Hilarious band. I loved their 'Vowel Song' from the latest album.

Please post more in this thread, we seem to have very similar tastes.

I recently got into the Swedish band Witchcraft:
http://www.myspace.com/witchcraftswe
Old 04-08-2008, 09:09 AM   #163
Sittler
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Yeah, I too dig that Witchcraft. I'd put it more in the hard rock side of the Metal fence, but hell who really cares about labels when it's damn good music. A real respect for the Pentagram and Sabbath days of rock and roll. I like to throw 'em on when I'm in a bit more of a mellow yet rawkin' mood. Quality.

www.myspace.com/polkadotcadaver has some good samples. Definitely worth checking out. I was bummed when I heard DFD was calling it a day. No one does that classic Faith No More vibe while expanding on it like DFD did.

Going back to the mini-thread about Dax Riggs - I received his latest solo disc in the mail a few weeks back and hot damn is it a good one. Check out his myspace as well for some killer samples.

Someone also mentioned the new Testament. It's slowly growing on me for sure. I have a huge soft spot for Testament as well as Death Angel as they were 2 of my faves growing up that didn't receive enough recognition behind the Big 4 (Metallica, Slayer, 'Thrax and Megadeth).

On the new tip, I'm really digging the latest Genghis Tron. This was a band I'd always heard of but never checked out until recently. I'm not sure how I would describe them other than some sort of frankenstein offspring of Dillinger Escape Plan, Converge, Daft Punk, Zombi and Horse the Band. Weird, but good stuff.

On a final note, I'm not sure about any others out there, but I have WAY too much music (not that it's necessarily a bad thing). The downside is I can't listen to it all. And, the iPod doesn't help at all cuz I forget about certain discs when they aren't sitting in front of me. I think I have somewhere around 2000 CDs as well as various albums I've downloaded and are in line to be purchased whenever feasibly possible. Anyone else in that same boat?
Sittler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:20 AM   #164
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

My favourite metal bands are Conduction and Valence but I guess you could classify them more appropriately as electronic.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:27 PM   #165
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Witchcraft... A real respect for the Pentagram and Sabbath days of rock and roll.
Yeah, they definitely have a very real Pentagram feel to them.

Quote:
www.myspace.com/polkadotcadaver has some good samples. Definitely worth checking out. I was bummed when I heard DFD was calling it a day. No one does that classic Faith No More vibe while expanding on it like DFD did.
Yeah, I already grabbed their album since last night. It's awesome. Thanks for bringing them up!

Quote:
Going back to the mini-thread about Dax Riggs - I received his latest solo disc in the mail a few weeks back and hot damn is it a good one. Check out his myspace as well for some killer samples.
Another good album. Though I personally enjoyed his previous work even more, but his latest was still quite good.

Quote:
On the new tip, I'm really digging the latest Genghis Tron. This was a band I'd always heard of but never checked out until recently.
Definitely a strange band. I had avoided them for a while before I finally checked out their latest. It's quite interesting though.

Quote:
On a final note, I'm not sure about any others out there, but I have WAY too much music (not that it's necessarily a bad thing). Anyone else in that same boat?
Definitely my case. I've been continuously upgrading my iPod in order to store my music. I'm at the 160 GB model, and currently have a good 10 GB of music still to go through, and a ever-growing list of about 200 bands to still check out.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:21 PM   #166
Sittler
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I know it's not Metal, however they are my all-time favourite band: King's X. I came across their latest release (not coming out until May) on a blogspot and it's been stuck on play for the last 2 days. Their best disc since 1996's Ear Candy - not that anything past that was bad, just not all-around as good as this. Anyway, I do know there are some fellow KX-fans on this board. Go buy 2 or 3 copies when this sumb1tch comes out as it's #1 with a bullet as fave of the year so far (and there has been a fair bit that I like this year).
Sittler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:37 AM   #167
Shnabdabber
Account Disabled at User's Request

Exp:

Quote:
I know it's not Metal, however they are my all-time favourite band: King's X. I came across their latest release (not coming out until May) on a blogspot and it's been stuck on play for the last 2 days. Their best disc since 1996's Ear Candy - not that anything past that was bad, just not all-around as good as this. Anyway, I do know there are some fellow KX-fans on this board. Go buy 2 or 3 copies when this sumb1tch comes out as it's #1 with a bullet as fave of the year so far (and there has been a fair bit that I like this year).
King's X are also one of my favs. Jerry Gaskill has one of the most underrated, deepest grooves in rock. Good to see these boys are not slowing down, can't wait for the new album.

www.bnrmetal.com <---- A killer site that has a ton of info. Nearly any metal band out there of consequence can be found. Disco's, news, band history's...

Also, for anyone who has been under a rock... Testament is coming to Calgary!
Shnabdabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 03:36 PM   #168
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Two new upcoming Opeth tracks from their new album:

Old 05-01-2008, 02:40 PM   #169
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just in case some of you metalheads hadn't heard, and may be in the Montreal area in June:

June 21: IRON MAIDEN, TYPE O NEGATIVE, MASTODON, HAMMERFALL, HATEBREED, OVERKILL, 3 INCHES OF BLOOD, SYMPHONY X, UNEXPECT, LAUREN HARRIS, DETHKLOK and more.

June 22: MÖTLEY CRÜE, VOIVOD, ANTHRAX, DISTURBED, REV THEORY, 3 DAYS GRACE, SHADOWS FALL, PRIESTESS, DROWNING POOL and more.

http://www.bravewords.com/news/88372
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:54 PM   #170
Ardor
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I love these guys! I've had the opportunity to seem them twice. Last time was a couple of years ago in Edmonton (Ogre Tones tour), in some 'nothing' bar - there weren't even two hundred people there, and they rocked liked they were playing to a sold out arena! It was unbelievable!

I agree with Shnabdabber, Gaskill is killer . . .and when they 'go off' live and jast jam it out, it's unreal - one of the tightest live bands I've ever seen.

Definitely looking forward to the new stuff!
Ardor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:00 PM   #171
Ardor
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Okay, so now the juices are flowing . . . reading all this stuff!

Along with King's X, the other bands that I would put at the top of the list for "tight" live shows . . . Tool and August Burns Red. Mind blowing!
Old 05-01-2008, 03:30 PM   #172
flamesrule14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anybody going to the As I lay Dying concert? They are playing with Misery Signals, August Burns Red and Evergreen Terrace. I think they play tonight in Calgary. They are in Edmonton on Saturday and I was stupid and didn't get my tickets in time so I miss them once again.
flamesrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:38 PM   #173
Lucifer
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'll be at the As I Lay Dying show tonight, should be awesome. Not really crazy about the opening bands, except for August Burns Red. Only saw As I Lay Dying once and that was back at Taste Of Chaos '06.
Lucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:34 AM   #174
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

I know this isn't "directly" related to this thread but since I saw the song mentioned in the first post.....

I FINALLY BEAT THROUGH THE FIRE AND FLAMES ON EXPERT!! 94% baby . God I hate that song, not because of the "song" because of the mental anguish it has caused me the last month trying to beat it. I can now destroy my copy of frikkin GH3. Anyone who hasn't seen the ludricrous difficulty of this song watch this, its insane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0dh0...eature=related

On a more positive note, Just downloaded the album "screaming for vengeance" for rock band. One of my favorite albums and bands of all time. Higly recommend it if you own the game. The guitar portion of it is closer to Guitar hero difficulty on expert, unlike most of the preloaded songs on Rock Band which I find are closer to the hard setting on GH when you play them on expert. I think too many people were bashing Rock Bands Guitar portions for being way too easy as most people could beat the game on solo career mode on the first pass on expert, as long as they had any sort of expert experience in GH. Its nice to see they are upping the anti a bit.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:00 AM   #175
Rhetts_the_Best
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Apocalyptica- amazing cello sound!
Iced Earth- amazing band! ( glorious burden one of my top 5 cd's)
Protest the Hero-great guitar, warming up to the singer though
Testament-Old school sound mixed with new school awsomeness!!!
The Sword- awsome awsome awsome!!!!!
Dethklok- They have always been awsome!
Rhetts_the_Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:21 AM   #176
Ardor
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer View Post
I'll be at the As I Lay Dying show tonight, should be awesome. Not really crazy about the opening bands, except for August Burns Red. Only saw As I Lay Dying once and that was back at Taste Of Chaos '06.
Hey Lucifer, how was the show last night? I'm a little envious, I must say.

I'm pretty choked, I missed out on tickets for Calgary AND Edmonton.

$%&!*...
Old 05-05-2008, 04:21 PM   #177
Lucifer
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So anyways As I Lay Dying was awesome, can't wait to see them again. Got there in time to see August Burns Red, who I thought were pretty good. Misery Signals was alright, not a huge fan of them. Kinda wish I could have caught Evergreen Terrace but meh, not a huge fan of them.

Anyone going to Gigantour next Wednesday? I'm looking forward to seeing Children Of Bodom the most. I wanted to catch them two years ago when they were in Edmonton for the Unholy Alliance tour but in the end, I never went. Can't wait to see them, along with In Flames for the first time.
Lucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:27 PM   #178
Shnabdabber
Account Disabled at User's Request

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer View Post
Anyone going to Gigantour next Wednesday? I'm looking forward to seeing Children Of Bodom the most. I wanted to catch them two years ago when they were in Edmonton for the Unholy Alliance tour but in the end, I never went. Can't wait to see them, along with In Flames for the first time.
Yeah I had tix lined up to go, but I can't get out of work. Sucks, but hey, there is a pile of good concerts coming up this summer.

I can't wait for monsters of rock, or basically, Testament. Dillinger Escape plan should be cool as well, hopefully their music doesn't get lost in the open air.

Paul Gilbert + Marco Minnemann FTW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne6hZW3Wsr8
Shnabdabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:47 PM   #179
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Video for "Inside The Fire" from Disturbed from the album "Indestructible" which will be released on June 3rd.

WARNING: People who are not comfortable with the topic of suicide may find the content of the video offensive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m53lQhBalOQ
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:04 PM   #180
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quite possibly the most underrated 'hard rock' (for lack of a better inclusive term) of all time. Great, great band.