Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2009, 04:50 AM   #301
Flame Of Liberty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Not sure if this has been posted or not, but even if it was it is well worth posting again - probably the catchiest metal song in recent memory - Pain feat. Anette Olzon - Follow me. I have to say I like Anette's vocals in this song even more than her work with Nightwish.

Flame Of Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:44 AM   #302
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Of Liberty View Post
Not sure if this has been posted or not, but even if it was it is well worth posting again - probably the catchiest metal song in recent memory - Pain feat. Anette Olzon - Follow me. I have to say I like Anette's vocals in this song even more than her work with Nightwish.
Oh yeah, it's catchy, but more in the annoying eurodance-way than a good metal shout-a-long if you ask me, and by Pain-standards I don't even think it's that catchy; it's just too generic. Even the video looks more like Nightwish than Pain (part of it is production value of course). I'd say the only standout track from the newest album is Have a Drink on Me, which does something a little different.

I'm not against artists trying to broaden their scopes, but for Pain it seems kind of pointless. I just hope that if there's a next album, this experimentation breeds something good by then, otherwise it pretty much seems like it's time to pack it in.

For those unfamiliar with the band, here's a bunch of other catchy songs from the three previous albums. (Yeah I have too much time on my hands.)

Zombie Slam:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSFunOavOas
Nailed to the Ground:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVwPMxIFSWw
Same Old Song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZirNZ8QJWns
Bye / Die:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR0XJQAmPr4
Shut Your Mouth:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfXOzOfv5mI
Just Hate Me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak-AM9ZFwJU
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:14 AM   #303
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Curious, anyone have an opinion on Verbal Deception? They're from Calgary, right? Their stuff isn't too bad at all, although I am still trying to figure out where pirate metal came from. I'm probably just old. Either way, I get "The Temptress" stuck in my head a lot.
Verbal Deception don't even sound very piratey.

Alestorm on the other hand are awesome. Super gimicky, but they do it well.

http://www.myspace.com/alestorm

Keelhauled is a great song.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:16 AM   #304
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Speaking of catchy metal songs...

http://www.myspace.com/tyr1

I find Hold the Heathen Hammer High to be an immensely catchy folk metal song.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:50 AM   #305
Flame Of Liberty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Oh yeah, it's catchy, but more in the annoying eurodance-way than a good metal shout-a-long if you ask me, and by Pain-standards I don't even think it's that catchy; it's just too generic. Even the video looks more like Nightwish than Pain (part of it is production value of course). I'd say the only standout track from the newest album is Have a Drink on Me, which does something a little different.
Well yeah I guess it depends on how much you like your metal to be cooked. What I can safely stomach and enjoy is around Nightwish/Crucified Barbara/Drain STH (to stay in Scandinavia) so I don't mind the occasional "pop" sound. I am not a big fan of grown men growling and puking into the microphone.
Flame Of Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:59 AM   #306
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't mind growling, but I never got the puke-sound either.
For the record, I enjoy Nightwish too occasionally.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:46 PM   #307
Bibtin Tex
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

this song's awesome, I love the guitar sweeps
Bibtin Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:36 PM   #308
Shnabdabber
Account Disabled at User's Request

Exp:

No offense but that Pain song sounds like something you would hear in a euro dance club.
Shnabdabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:21 PM   #309
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibtin Tex View Post
this song's awesome, I love the guitar sweeps

You may be a child who wears too tight of pants. But at least you can spot the best guitarist ever.

Jari Maenpaa!!!!

If you like Jari you should check out old Ensiferum, he was excellent with them. The new stuff has Petri Lindroos from Norther (well, was from Norther) as their new guy. Jari was fired/left to work on Wintersun.

By the way, his best song from Wintersun I think is Beautiful Death. Starchild is good too, but Beautiful Death takes the cake.

You should check out the entire CD, most of his solo's are sweeps, or consist of them at some point. Listen to the solo in "Winter Madness" that is a mindblowing solo. All his solo's on "Wintersun" are mindblowing.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:30 PM   #310
flamesrule14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Any Darkest Hour fans? New CD come out yesterday. Haven't had a chance to pick it up yet, but anybody got any reviews?

Killswitch next week too! Looking forward to it.
flamesrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:17 AM   #311
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule14 View Post
Any Darkest Hour fans? New CD come out yesterday. Haven't had a chance to pick it up yet, but anybody got any reviews?

Killswitch Engage sucks man, come on.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:18 AM   #312
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Voivod has a new album out, available on iTunes today. Listened to about half of it in the car, its not bad.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:27 AM   #313
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule14 View Post

I am a fan of both bands. Thanks for the heads up.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:24 PM   #314
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Oh, and I guess I'll have to mention Cantata Sangui too, because I found Madder Mortem because some critic compared Cantata to Madder, so I think if you like one there's a good chance you'll like the other too, that's how it went for me anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rn1drD9dJQ
(That's their only folk-metalish track, but it's a good one.)
http://www.myspace.com/cantatasangui
wow, thanks for that recommendation. loving the dual bass guitars. No Longer In The Eyes Of Aletheia and We'll Have It On Us are killer tracks
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:12 PM   #315
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
Voivod has a new album out, available on iTunes today. Listened to about half of it in the car, its not bad.
Wow thanks for the heads up. Are they using the last recordings from Piggy for the new CD like the last one? I thought that's what they were doing.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:26 PM   #316
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
wow, thanks for that recommendation. loving the dual bass guitars. No Longer In The Eyes Of Aletheia and We'll Have It On Us are killer tracks
Glad you like it. I can warmly recommend the whole album ("On Rituals and Correspondence In Constructed Realities"). I've loved it.

Keep your metal Finnish

Last edited by Itse; 06-26-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:04 PM   #317
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

good show on Saturday. Setlists:

Slayer:
Darkness of Christ (Intro)
Disciple
War Ensemble
Jihad
Chemical Warfare
Ghosts of War
Psychopathy Red
Live Undead
Dead Skin Mask
Hell Awaits
Mandatory Suicide
Angel of Death
South of Heaven
Raining Blood

Megadeth:
Sleepwalker
Wake Up Dead
Hangar 18
Rattlehead
Kick the Chair
In My Darkest Hour
She-Wolf
Headcrusher
Symphony of Destruction
Peace Sells
Holy Wars

It's the Dome so the sound wasn't the greatest. Both bands were in fine form. Especially impressed with Mustaine, he was playing as good as I've ever seen him do.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:10 PM   #318
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

They were having huge problems with the PA, 3rd song into MH's set the mains went down. After they were back online the soundman wasn't able to recover. The opening band got the best mix of the night, Megadeth's mix was alright.

Suicide Silence: Uninteresting, they're treading upon ground that is well worn and fail to put their own stamp on it. Decent enough show and they play well but I was bored.

Machine Head: The Ten Ton Hammer intro being delivered in an arena is a thing of beauty, absolutely heavy as hell. Halo came across very well, what an amazing song. So many metal bands these days have no ability to write actual hooks, whether they're sung or on guitar, they should all take a page out of the mighty Machine Head's book. Instantly recognizable from Robb's vocals to Dave's fills to every note and harmonic, they get a fraction of the credit they deserve.

Slayer: Alright I guess, a bit muddy but we all know the songs. Last time I saw them was over 5 years ago and they've been through twice since, both shows that I skipped out on. Nice tight 1 hour set, enjoyable even though I drifted off a few times. I haven't had much interest in Slayer since South of Heaven and Seasons.

Megadeth: As long as I live I will never tire of seeing and hearing Holy Wars live, quite possibly the most brilliant metal song ever written. Mustaine is basically a tool with a crap voice but he is such an ahole and so full of himself that he pulls it off. I'll buy every album and DVD they put and be in line at every show, won't even complain when I pay the Ticketmaster ripoff fees.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:11 PM   #319
Phaneuf3
First Line Centre

Exp:

I must say I'm not as up on my metal or my pirating (especially pre-release) as I used to be. I had this pop up on amazon the other day and I'm wondering if anyone here has heard it yet? Any good?

Phaneuf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:04 PM   #320
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryzsky View Post

Megadeth: As long as I live I will never tire of seeing and hearing Holy Wars live, quite possibly the most brilliant metal song ever written. Mustaine is basically a tool with a crap voice but he is such an ahole and so full of himself that he pulls it off. I'll buy every album and DVD they put and be in line at every show, won't even complain when I pay the Ticketmaster ripoff fees.
he's an egomaniac, like a lot of other rockers, but holy #$!! he can play. He doesn't get enough credit for his abilities. I think it's about the 6th time I've seen them live. Other than the first one (wayyyyyy back in 1990) this was the best show for them that I've seen.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote