Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2020, 12:47 PM   #101
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'll try again, quote did not work properly.
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 12:50 PM   #102
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Diesel engines = the worst of them all. Love me a good turbo whine but I loathe diesel engine noise. Just the worst.

After that, Harleys and other like sounding cruiser bikes. You won't ever he me complain about how a Ducati sounds ripping off somewhere.

Best engine sound and I hate to say it, is the flat plane v8s from Ford. Ooof. Actually the small liter v8s from Germany too. They sound best.

Yobbos who run their civics with loud exhaust are petulant little children who have no idea what they're doing. No, you're not cool for making your v -tech 4 cylinder sound like a dying rhino.
There are certainly those people.

On the other hand... Honda's B/K/F series engines are amongst the best 4 cylinder engines ever produced, not just for their tremendous output, but for their great sound, particularly when matched with a quality header/exhaust. 'V-TEC' 4's can sound amazing if done right.

I had Supersprint exhaust on my 2001 S2000 which amplified the great sound of the F20C which is amongst the best inline 4's ever, if not the best.

I owned a 2016 GT350 TP - it did sound great but had absolutely abysmal build quality. I would not own another Ford unless it was built by Multimatic.
Old 06-18-2020, 02:54 PM   #103
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Actually the small liter v8s from Germany too. They sound best.
I owned a B6 S4 once upon a time almost strictly because of this reason + manual. I did put an APR exhaust on it as it was pretty quiet from the factory. In my 20 something year old mind at the time, it was a quiet exhaust when cruising around that didn't intrude on anyone.

I test drove a B7 RS4 later in life, and that took everything up a notch. One of the best sounding cars I've had the pleasure of being near. At that point it was a 12 year old car and the thought of actually owning it and having to deal with it scared me away.

I really like all 5 cylinder engines as well.

V10s sound like crap to me, I'm not sure why.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2020, 05:41 PM   #104
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I owned a B6 S4 once upon a time almost strictly because of this reason + manual. I did put an APR exhaust on it as it was pretty quiet from the factory. In my 20 something year old mind at the time, it was a quiet exhaust when cruising around that didn't intrude on anyone.

I test drove a B7 RS4 later in life, and that took everything up a notch. One of the best sounding cars I've had the pleasure of being near. At that point it was a 12 year old car and the thought of actually owning it and having to deal with it scared me away.

I really like all 5 cylinder engines as well.

V10s sound like crap to me, I'm not sure why.
I have owned three Audi's, two of which were 5 cylinders (1985 Coupe GT, 1994 S4). I bought both used in the 90's and each had over 200,000 fuss free KM when I sold them, extremely reliable and far more robust than modern Audi's. Very few exist now, let alone good ones. The Ur-Quattro and B3 turbo's are my favourite 5 cylinder Audi's. I once had a chance to purchase a 1991 Audi Coupe Quattro 20V but purchased a 1990 Corrado instead. I'd do it differently now.

I've got a totally different take on V10's.

The 980/01 in the Porsche Carrera GT is one of the best sounding engines ever as is the 1LR-GUE in the Lexus LFA. The modern Audi/Lambo V10's sound great as well. The only V10 that I don't find particularly pleasing out of the box is that in the Viper.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FLAME ENVY For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2020, 08:42 PM   #105
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME ENVY View Post

The 980/01 in the Porsche Carrera GT is one of the best sounding engines ever as is the 1LR-GUE in the Lexus LFA. The modern Audi/Lambo V10's sound great as well. The only V10 that I don't find particularly pleasing out of the box is that in the Viper.
Agreed. Both the CGT and LFA are widely considered to be two of the best sounding road cars of all time. I'm not a huge fan of the Audi/Lambo V10 (they're good, just not top-shelf great), but an honourable mention should go to the E60/63 BMW M5/M6... Great engine that was overshadowed - or dragged down - by the perceived issues of the SMG transmission (even though a manual was available also)...
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:37 AM   #106
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have owned three Audi's, two of which were 5 cylinders (1985 Coupe GT, 1994 S4). I bought both used in the 90's and each had over 200,000 fuss free KM when I sold them, extremely reliable and far more robust than modern Audi's. Very few exist now, let alone good ones. The Ur-Quattro and B3 turbo's are my favourite 5 cylinder Audi's. I once had a chance to purchase a 1991 Audi Coupe Quattro 20V but purchased a 1990 Corrado instead. I'd do it differently now.

The Audi/Lambo V10 sounds amazing and is one of the best sounding engines today. The Viper V10 doesn't sound as exotic because it isn't as it was originally designed to be a truck engine. Basically a magnum 5.9L V8 with two cylinders added so not exactly a ground up design for a sports car engine.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:07 AM   #107
vtec260
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Here's what I do every time I sell a car (or anything really) on Kijiji.

1. Remove all your junk and give it a solid cleaning. Doesn't have to be show-car clean, but make it as nice as possible as you can in one afternoon. It's crazy how many people just leave all their junk in their car. If you added mods on the car, remove them if you can. Most people want clean, original cars.

2. Gather up as much service history on the car as you can, list the main points in your ad, and have them ready in a folder to show. Most people won't read your stack of papers, they just like to see a service history as it shows good ownership.

3. Take decent (no need for professional) photos, in good light. All 4 exterior sides, and relevant interior shots to show condition. Engine shot. Odometer shot. Extra tires/rims shot. Shoot it outside, not in your garage. I like late afternoon/early evening light as it's a bit softer/warmer.

4. Spend the time and write an ad with proper English/grammar. Remember, the buyer is not just judging the car...they are judging you. An ad is a reflection of who you are and how you took care of the car.

5. This one I think is key....disclose the stuff that's wrong with the car. It has multiple benefits. 1) It makes you a decent human. 2) It removes surprises, so you attract people who are ok with those deficiencies, and filters out those who aren't (to me this is hugely important, as I don't want to waste my time). 3) It removes a bargaining element for people to haggle over. Some people go looking for issues to use to lower the price (I know I do!)...remove a good chunk of their ammo.

6. Price it about 10-15% above what you want to sell it for. Gives people some room to haggle, to make themselves feel good. And if they don't haggle, bonus for you.

None of this is particularly revolutionary, but you'd be surprised how much your ad can stand out if you just do a little bit more than typical. Most people are lazy, and it costs them time and money in the long run. Every time I've sold a car, I've rarely ever had to show it to more than 2-3 people. Last week, the 3-series I bought for $4800 two years ago, I sold for $6000 with 24 hours. There's a similar car, priced for less, that's been on Kijiji for 2 months now because the ad is terrible.

Followed these advises and sold our SUV within a week. Weeded out a lot of tire kickers and left little room to barter down for the buyer since all known non-functioning items were disclosed. Since I do most maintenance like oil/transmission/transfer case fluids, etc., I took pictures where/when they were done with items used, mileage, what service vehicle called for and uploaded to Google photo in maintenance album which I can share with the new owner.

One thing I can't understand is people who offer a price on Kijiji without seeing it first in person. Now, time for a new to me SUV to replace.
vtec260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:10 AM   #108
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec260 View Post
Followed these advises and sold our SUV within a week. Weeded out a lot of tire kickers and left little room to barter down for the buyer since all known non-functioning items were disclosed. Since I do most maintenance like oil/transmission/transfer case fluids, etc., I took pictures where/when they were done with items used, mileage, what service vehicle called for and uploaded to Google photo in maintenance album which I can share with the new owner.

One thing I can't understand is people who offer a price on Kijiji without seeing it first in person. Now, time for a new to me SUV to replace.
Well, it works and is a big time saver. If you are selling something for $20k, and I'm looking at it thinking 'if everything he's disclosed is true, that's an $18k vehicle to me,' I'll ask if you're willing to drop the price before I go through the hassle of a meet-up. Saves you time as the seller, too. From a buyer's perspective, it works 9/10 times, anyway, so it's kind of crazy not to start the negotiating right away.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:32 AM   #109
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anything that avoids wasting my time is good with me, so personally if somebody wants to give me an offer before they come over, that's totally fine with me as it gives both of us an idea of whether it's realistic. But then my negotiating window is much more narrower when you do come....I always want to avoid having someone negotiate me down before they come, and then do it again in person. With small items, if we agree to a price before you come, it becomes a take it or leave it situation.

But like I said, disclose all the issues in your ad, and you take away a lot of negotiating power, and are more likely to get someone who is willing to pay close to what you're asking (assuming your asking price is reasonable).
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 01:31 PM   #110
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
Agreed. Both the CGT and LFA are widely considered to be two of the best sounding road cars of all time. I'm not a huge fan of the Audi/Lambo V10 (they're good, just not top-shelf great), but an honourable mention should go to the E60/63 BMW M5/M6... Great engine that was overshadowed - or dragged down - by the perceived issues of the SMG transmission (even though a manual was available also)...
Good call! I totally forgot about the V10 powered M's, they do sound terrific.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:18 AM   #111
vtec260
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Anything that avoids wasting my time is good with me, so personally if somebody wants to give me an offer before they come over, that's totally fine with me as it gives both of us an idea of whether it's realistic. But then my negotiating window is much more narrower when you do come....I always want to avoid having someone negotiate me down before they come, and then do it again in person. With small items, if we agree to a price before you come, it becomes a take it or leave it situation.

But like I said, disclose all the issues in your ad, and you take away a lot of negotiating power, and are more likely to get someone who is willing to pay close to what you're asking (assuming your asking price is reasonable).
Yup, totally agree on smaller priced item. But when you are selling larger ticket items like cars, campers, etc. taking 30-40% off the asking price without seeing it grinds my gear by shooting an offer. If it's close enough, then I will entertain the offer, but low ballers irks me. I don't know if it's me, but I appreciate people who message me with proper sentences, grammar, and asking clear questions, rather than quick non-sense abbreviations that I have to decipher what the other party is trying to say.
vtec260 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vtec260 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2020, 06:37 PM   #112
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMHO, best sounding exhausts, starts w/Scuds.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 09:44 PM   #113
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec260 View Post
Yup, totally agree on smaller priced item. But when you are selling larger ticket items like cars, campers, etc. taking 30-40% off the asking price without seeing it grinds my gear by shooting an offer. If it's close enough, then I will entertain the offer, but low ballers irks me. I don't know if it's me, but I appreciate people who message me with proper sentences, grammar, and asking clear questions, rather than quick non-sense abbreviations that I have to decipher what the other party is trying to say.
I get pretty miffed at the goofs who shoot you a number, no preamble, no questions, just a lowball number. The last car I sold I called the guy out, I straight up accepted his offer, then he went silent. I don't know who taught this younger generation how to buy and sell but they really are a socially inept group. A handshake used to be a deal, if you said you were taking something you took it, no second round of negots unless of course the item was misrepresented. For all the benefits of free advertising you really have a lot a chaff to deal with.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:19 PM   #114
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Good call! I totally forgot about the V10 powered M's, they do sound terrific.
Weird. I couldn't disagree more. I far prefer any V8 variant of the M5. The E60 was odd and homely in its styling, unreliable, and not nice to listen to. Bottom of my list for M5s.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:28 AM   #115
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Weird. I couldn't disagree more. I far prefer any V8 variant of the M5. The E60 was odd and homely in its styling, unreliable, and not nice to listen to. Bottom of my list for M5s.
I know the list of common complaints against the E60&63 is long, but the engine usually isn't (nor should it be) on that list.

An F1-derived V10 with 500hp that screams to an 8,250 RPM redline is A-OK in my books. (The engine received multiple industry awards at the time as well, so must've been A-OK in someone else's book too).
Old 06-23-2020, 09:44 AM   #116
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

After having a chance to drive a 458 in the Italian countryside, everything else sounds like butt in comparison. It ruined everything!
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2020, 10:05 AM   #117
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

#1 all time is F355 with Capristo exhaust.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2020, 11:46 AM   #118
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
An F1-derived V10 with 500hp that screams to an 8,250 RPM redline is A-OK in my books. (The engine received multiple industry awards at the time as well, so must've been A-OK in someone else's book too).
The engine was an amazing feat of engineering. As was the S54 in the E46 M3. It doesn't mean they don't both sound like crap

I fully admit the V10 thing is just a personal preference, but I think more people will agree the S54 was not a great sounding engine, despite being an engineering masterpiece in a car that is sure to be an eternal classic.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:48 AM   #119
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suppose the 355/60, over the Scud, cuz manual.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 04:54 PM   #120
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
The engine was an amazing feat of engineering. As was the S54 in the E46 M3. It doesn't mean they don't both sound like crap

I fully admit the V10 thing is just a personal preference, but I think more people will agree the S54 was not a great sounding engine, despite being an engineering masterpiece in a car that is sure to be an eternal classic.
Perhaps the tangent has run its course, but we're getting away from the topic of "great sounding engines"... Yes, both the S54 and S58 were great engines, while I'd argue the S58 also sounded great (hard to achieve that with an inline-6).

V10s in general are widely considered the best sounding engine configuration... LFA, Carrera GT, LMP cars, F1 cars... all considered the aural peak of their kind... I just happen to think the BMW V10 fits in that category as well... Like you said, personal preference... I guess yours is just wrong
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post: