Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2024, 04:46 PM   #5441
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I was following a Chrysler Pacifica, and noticed the rear "bumper" is also the rear bodywork. Any little bump or scrape and that's a huge piece to replace, and corner damage is pretty common. All to avoid a body line, and they managed to still make it look bland and bad.
$482 for a bumper cover for that thing:

https://www.huntparts.ca/products/20...IaAoDnEALw_wcB

It barely goes up further than a Sienna, $377:

https://www.huntparts.ca/products/20...gi_bumper-rear
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 04:58 PM   #5442
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I was following a Chrysler Pacifica, and noticed the rear "bumper" is also the rear bodywork. Any little bump or scrape and that's a huge piece to replace, and corner damage is pretty common. All to avoid a body line, and they managed to still make it look bland and bad.

Spoiler!

Make Bumpers a thing Again. That's my MBA.
Pretty much all new vehicles are like that now except for maybe trucks.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 09:06 PM   #5443
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Why isn't that an option? I've owned lots of cars for a very long time without crashing them.
Because the gubmint' says that liability insurance is mandatory. An EV spontaneously combusting and burning down property falls under liability.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 10:54 PM   #5444
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Because the gubmint' says that liability insurance is mandatory. An EV spontaneously combusting and burning down property falls under liability.
Sorry, I'm totally missing something here haha. Help the slow kid along. You can't keep an EV for a long time because you can't get insurance on them? Or insurance is too expensive?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 01:25 AM   #5445
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anybody have any shops or recommendations for an exhaust leak/cat failure/hole in the exhaust etc?

My 2005 Honda Pilot with about 325k needs one. It's kinda of my work truck for hauling stuff for the family, renovations, winter beater etc. I don't want to spend a lot of money on it but the car is in good shape, reliable, has excellent tires, brakes etc. A very serviceable car without a doubt.

Car I believe has a leak, the power is suffering significantly, check engine is on and the exhaust sounds like my older Honda's with the mufflers we all thought were cool 25 years ago.

Someone mentioned Calgary Muffler on McLeod Trail by Chinook??

Edit: Turned out I had a hole in the exhaust coming from the engine before the CAT. I went to Calgary Muffler by Chinook Mall and was treated to excellent service right on the spot, got the car in and out in about 90 minutes and got what appears to be an excellent deal for the work.

Last edited by curves2000; 03-15-2024 at 06:19 PM.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 01:09 PM   #5446
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Sorry, I'm totally missing something here haha. Help the slow kid along. You can't keep an EV for a long time because you can't get insurance on them? Or insurance is too expensive?
Ah - sorry the quote history on this was a little fragmented. I thought you were talking about a used EV with a damaged battery casing / shield (and thus written off), not an aged, but otherwise mechanically sound EV.

The latter - yes, you could drive till your range degrades to zilch. The former has written off cars as new as 2022.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 09:55 AM   #5447
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on the earlier conversation here, I took a quick look on Autotrader at some EV models....you guys weren't kidding about the cratering market. Some potentially interesting things I saw:

Audi Etron-GT. New starts at $145k...minus options/luxury tax etc. I'm seeing 2022's in the $80K's....that's almost a 50% drop in 2 years. Nik, this is your time to shine.

Mazda MX-30 - About $50k new, and you can find 2 year old ones with low miles in the low-mid 20s. Only 160km range, but if you got the right urban setup, that's a pretty good for a commuter. Most of the stock is in BC (or Quebec) though.

Ford Mach-E. New models start from $54K-72K...I'm seeing 2-3 year old ones in the low 30s. I remember the hype around these a couple years ago...so if you had your heart set on one, maybe it's time to pounce. There seems to be a ton of stock too (2600 for sale in Canada on Autotrader) so I'm sure you can negotiate down further. The F150 Lightning doesn't seem to have take as big of a hit, but those don't seem to be selling well either, so might just be a matter of time.

Tesla Model 3's seem to have also taken a hit...probably a bit part of it is Hertz liquidating their stock affecting the market.

I'm not an EV guy...but if prices crater far enough, I just might be.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 10:14 AM   #5448
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Based on the earlier conversation here, I took a quick look on Autotrader at some EV models....you guys weren't kidding about the cratering market. Some potentially interesting things I saw:

Audi Etron-GT. New starts at $145k...minus options/luxury tax etc. I'm seeing 2022's in the $80K's....that's almost a 50% drop in 2 years. Nik, this is your time to shine.

Mazda MX-30 - About $50k new, and you can find 2 year old ones with low miles in the low-mid 20s. Only 160km range, but if you got the right urban setup, that's a pretty good for a commuter. Most of the stock is in BC (or Quebec) though.

Ford Mach-E. New models start from $54K-72K...I'm seeing 2-3 year old ones in the low 30s. I remember the hype around these a couple years ago...so if you had your heart set on one, maybe it's time to pounce. There seems to be a ton of stock too (2600 for sale in Canada on Autotrader) so I'm sure you can negotiate down further. The F150 Lightning doesn't seem to have take as big of a hit, but those don't seem to be selling well either, so might just be a matter of time.

Tesla Model 3's seem to have also taken a hit...probably a bit part of it is Hertz liquidating their stock affecting the market.

Their transmissions are also exploding, so they're getting hit extra hard. I think I'll sit this one out haha.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 10:42 AM   #5449
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

But would it really even be an Audi without some potential catastrophic failure looming in the background? I thought that was part of the thrill.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 10:50 AM   #5450
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But would it really even be an Audi without some potential catastrophic failure looming in the background? I thought that was part of the thrill.
It really is. Every gen has a grenade.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 01:32 PM   #5451
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Ford Mach-E. New models start from $54K-72K...I'm seeing 2-3 year old ones in the low 30s. I remember the hype around these a couple years ago...so if you had your heart set on one, maybe it's time to pounce. There seems to be a ton of stock too (2600 for sale in Canada on Autotrader) so I'm sure you can negotiate down further.
Yeah I was kind of looking at the Mach-E's and while you have to go out of province to get one into the <$40k range it's starting to look a little tempting.

Even a few Tycans below $100k.
Old 03-18-2024, 01:36 PM   #5452
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The transmission would still be under warranty, right? What's Audi's track record in making long-term fixes for these types of issues? Or do these just never get resolved entirely?
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 02:18 PM   #5453
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

That EV’s submarine in resale, is comical after all the grandstanding over the years.
Further irony, in the value of my brand new manual rower.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 03:44 PM   #5454
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yeah I was kind of looking at the Mach-E's and while you have to go out of province to get one into the <$40k range it's starting to look a little tempting.
I had one as an Uber and the interiors are just really disappointing.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 04:07 PM   #5455
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I asked a parking lot guy last week and it was $90…. I drove away.
I had to find this post from august 2022…. This window chip hasn’t grown in size by a single millimetre.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 06:02 PM   #5456
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

This is an April Fools joke but it's very well done.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2024, 06:03 PM   #5457
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
That EV’s submarine in resale, is comical after all the grandstanding over the years.
Further irony, in the value of my brand new manual rower.
How's the R so far, man? I'm jealous of how much fun it must be to drive, so I barely want to hear hah.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 06:44 PM   #5458
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
How's the R so far, man? I'm jealous of how much fun it must be to drive, so I barely want to hear hah.
The 7.5R, just might’ve been the 997, ironically my fave modern Porsche gen. (Settle down nerds, 964 tops all)

It’s got more jam, sounds better, and oohhhh that sweet dopamine hit of double clutching into third, at 5k rips….

The early caveat is what many other reviews shared out of the gate, too digital and haptic. But, I’m ok with that, being a virtual Gort, and giving HVAC instructions via voice instruction.

I’ve yet to go drift mode, as summer rubber awaits, where I’ll go all C2S on those porker rims.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2024, 06:49 PM   #5459
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:

A lot of it has to do with Canadian market Model 3's being produced in China as well. It shouldn't really matter as most this stuff is assembled by 90% by robots, but the stigma hurts values heavily in cars. Same with cars coming out of India now.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 06:51 PM   #5460
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
If you like the Golf R so much, come take one for the afternoon. I've got a couple used Mark 8's you can have your way with.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote