Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2019, 02:51 PM   #121
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’d rather give Phaneuf a low-dollar 1 year contract then trade assets to acquire an aging Dman. I know that won’t be a popular opinion but it’s how I feel. Any assets that we have need to be used towards a legit top 6 RW or center moving forward and Valimaki isn’t a long term problem right now it’s a short term problem.

List of remaining left hand D I’d consider giving a low offer:

Phaneuf
Hutton
Schlemko
Sbisa

Another option could be to deal Frolik and Brodie still and see what’s left to offer Gardiner a 1 year deal to give him another crack at cashing in big at free agency but that definitely seems far fetched.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:51 PM   #122
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Hi Brodie just jokin about all those rumours man...

Hi Stone just jokin about those buyout rumours man haha see ya at camp
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 02:53 PM   #123
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Assuming it’s a significant enough year to require repair, at least the recovery starts during the off-season. Still a faint hope that he’s back at the end of the season.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:54 PM   #124
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
I’d rather give Phaneuf a low-dollar 1 year contract then trade assets to acquire an aging Dman. I know that won’t be a popular opinion but it’s how I feel. Any assets that we have need to be used towards a legit top 6 RW or center moving forward and Valimaki isn’t a long term problem right now it’s a short term problem.

Phaneuf
Hutton
Schlemko
Sbisa

Another option could be to deal Frolik and Brodie still and see what’s left to offer Gardiner a 1 year deal to give him another crack at cashing in big at free agency but that definitely seems far fetched.
I wouldn't be opposed to a few PTOs being given out, to see how the players fit in to the lineup and locker room.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:56 PM   #125
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post
Assuming it’s a significant enough year to require repair, at least the recovery starts during the off-season. Still a faint hope that he’s back at the end of the season.
For expansion draft reasons if he is not going to be back until end of season I would rather he just take the whole year off.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:58 PM   #126
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurwamac View Post
team gets knocked out 1st round for being too small and none of you have a problem with having a toothpick on the blue line who thinks he's better than he is. can't stand the guy.
Did he steal your girl or something????
Old 08-12-2019, 02:59 PM   #127
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
For expansion draft reasons if he is not going to be back until end of season I would rather he just take the whole year off.
Won’t help for the expansion draft, he requires protection no matter what

Makes sense to try and rehab him for the end of the season especially dice depth on D is crucial for any playoff run
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:02 PM   #128
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post

Phaneuf
Hutton
Schlemko
Sbisa

The thing is that Frolik needs to be traded, just to clear Tkachuk room. So if you get a cheap defenceman that's equal to those guys, it's two birds with one stone.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:04 PM   #129
kurwamac
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiggy77 View Post
nobody would go for him
kurwamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:08 PM   #130
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's say you go to Boston and offer Frolik for Miller. He's a little more than I'd like at $2.5 but its only for one year and he's experienced. Problem is they don't particularly need Frolik, but that kind of trade would be OK.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:11 PM   #131
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiggy77 View Post
With that body I'm sure he easily could have..
blender is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 03:15 PM   #132
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post
Verbatim my reaction upon reading this alert on my phone.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:16 PM   #133
RichKlit
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

This sucks so much !@$ so far the kid cant stay healthy. Feels like this season is going to be one to forget and its still August.
RichKlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:17 PM   #134
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
There is no silver lining to this news.
I think there is.

Firstly, he was penciled in as the 5-6 guy. Sucks he will lose development time, but in terms of this up and coming season his absence shouldn't hurt that much.

Secondly, 6-8 months puts him back anywhere February to March. That would be an ideal time frame for a player to return. Pretty much the same time he returned from his high ankle sprain. If he can come back and put a solid month or two in the AHL then it would be a positive. Like they mentioned on the radio, you would rather lose a player in August than in March.

Sucks he got injured, but the season wasn't predicated on Valimaki playing the regular season in Calgary. If he can be dropped in the final weeks and playoffs the Flames are in the same position.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:21 PM   #135
FiveSeven
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Old 08-12-2019, 03:25 PM   #136
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

JurassicTunga12 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JurassicTunga12 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 03:26 PM   #137
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Dammit lousy news. Our stockpile of D has gone from having lots of options to praying for no more injuries in a hurry. I wonder if some PTO invites will be forthcoming.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:26 PM   #138
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, this is terrible news.

I guess this is what all of us hockey fiends get for wishing for more news from the hockey gods the last couple of weeks. I wish Juuso all the best with his recovery.
Does anyone know if this is the same knee he has had issues with in the past? I actually hope so, because getting surgery might be what he needs to kick the lingering issue once and for all. If it's an entirely new injury unrelated to the last, I will start getting a little bit concerned.

This is a great opportunity for Kylington- I certainly echo what many in here have already said and hope that he takes full advantage of it. This might actually be a godsend long term if Kylington comes in and really impresses- having to choose him or Vali for one remaining spot could have planted some seeds of doubt in the player or lead him to move on to find an easier opportunity, so this will at least let us really see what we have before having to make a choice.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:30 PM   #139
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I think there is.

Firstly, he was penciled in as the 5-6 guy. Sucks he will lose development time, but in terms of this up and coming season his absence shouldn't hurt that much.

Secondly, 6-8 months puts him back anywhere February to March. That would be an ideal time frame for a player to return. Pretty much the same time he returned from his high ankle sprain. If he can come back and put a solid month or two in the AHL then it would be a positive. Like they mentioned on the radio, you would rather lose a player in August than in March.

Sucks he got injured, but the season wasn't predicated on Valimaki playing the regular season in Calgary. If he can be dropped in the final weeks and playoffs the Flames are in the same position.
Short for the team? No

Long term for the team and prospect? Yes

Valimaki is arguably their best prospect and having back-to-back long term injures could be brutal for his development. Hoping he recovers quickly and can play towards the end of the season. Missing so much time is just scary at his age.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:31 PM   #140
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

WOW ####

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote