Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 02:17 PM   #81
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Hmm this quote from Hartley:
"It's a matter of giving [Ramo] a break, but at the same time [Hiller] can come in and hopefully [Hiller] plays the next 10."

I just don't get why he's so hesitant to just declare one of them his #1.

Last year there was a stretch where Hiller started every game for a month and a half or so. Hartley was asked point blank in a scrum if he was the #1 now he refused to give him that label, and instead said they have two good goalies. The next game Hiller crapped the bed and Ramo takes over. Maybe a coincidence but there's a tried and proven way of managing goalies at the NHL level, and it's starter -> backup.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:55 PM   #82
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post

Last year there was a stretch where Hiller started every game for a month and a half or so. Hartley was asked point blank in a scrum if he was the #1 now he refused to give him that label, and instead said they have two good goalies. The next game Hiller crapped the bed and Ramo takes over. Maybe a coincidence but there's a tried and proven way of managing goalies at the NHL level, and it's starter -> backup.
Hartley's fairly straightforward, and I think he really doesn't have a #1. Nor are either of them really a #1 anyway. Ramo played like it in December, though, so maybe he can become one relatively late in his career.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:05 PM   #83
The Hendog
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I hope the travelling Jagr's make an appearance at the Dome tonight.
Apparently the travelling Jagr's will be at the Dome tonight!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...gary-1.3402265
The Following User Says Thank You to The Hendog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2016, 03:06 PM   #84
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
TSN's ice chips said Brodie and Backlund are both out tonight. Anyone else heard this?
I saw that as well. After a brief I checked CP and found no such proof. They ended up removing it.
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2016, 03:15 PM   #85
JJ1532
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post

Is the 1a/1b method also not effective? Dallas is using it to good effect with Lehtonen and Niemi. Elliott and Allen did the same in St Louis last season.

I think the more common system used is starter/backup because most teams have a guy that is a legitimate starter, someone you will expect to play 50-70 games in a season. We are one of the teams who don't have a goalie at that standard. I think the goalie tandem worked well for us last season and hopefully Hiller is fired up(given his comments today) enough to go out and show he can wrestle some games back off Ramo. It was only last season that he managed more starts and better stats than Ramo. I still think there is an average NHL goaltender in him.

But I don't think Hartley is in a position to name either as his main starter, neither are good enough for that distinction. Keep it as it is.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:23 PM   #86
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1532 View Post
Is the 1a/1b method also not effective? Dallas is using it to good effect with Lehtonen and Niemi. Elliott and Allen did the same in St Louis last season.

I think the more common system used is starter/backup because most teams have a guy that is a legitimate starter, someone you will expect to play 50-70 games in a season. We are one of the teams who don't have a goalie at that standard. I think the goalie tandem worked well for us last season and hopefully Hiller is fired up(given his comments today) enough to go out and show he can wrestle some games back off Ramo. It was only last season that he managed more starts and better stats than Ramo. I still think there is an average NHL goaltender in him.

But I don't think Hartley is in a position to name either as his main starter, neither are good enough for that distinction. Keep it as it is.
Well, Dallas is deploying a 1A/1A tandem, I don't think it is right to even compare the two goaltending situations. Hiller needs to come in a play like the useful goalie he was last season. If not, it's going to be a short trip back to the bench. Even then if things go wrong for him tonight I think that they leave him in all game so Ramo doesn't have to do anything. Whatever happens tonight, I think Hiller gets 3 or 4 starts in a row and hung out to dry if he doesn't get it together.

Which, may spur Treliving to finally go out and make that trade. Knowing full well there isn't a good insurance policy beside Ramo should he get hurt.

Going to be an interesting few games.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:34 PM   #87
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1532 View Post

I think it's more like a 1b/2a system in Calgary, where they switch places being the bad starter and the good backup. Therein lies the problem.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:39 PM   #88
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope Hiller goes on a run. It would be nice to get something for him or Ramo at the deadline.

I am glad Colborne is scratched he was awful against the Sharks. I am holding out hope that Frolik is a late add and is ready to go instead of Raymond
Old 01-13-2016, 03:41 PM   #89
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I hope Hiller goes on a run. It would be nice to get something for him or Ramo at the deadline.

I am glad Colborne is scratched he was awful against the Sharks. I am holding out hope that Frolik is a late add and is ready to go instead of Raymond
I would bet Raymond would still be in (and Bollig out). Which would suit me fine. Raymond's last game was not great (not terrible) but his previous few were OK (a couple were actually good). Bollig didn't do much last game to keep himself in.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:48 PM   #90
hockey.modern
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default GTD - Panthers vs Flames - 7:00 - SN1

Bit confused right now, what's our second line right now? Bennett center? I think it's the same as the previous game but can someone clarify.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:47 PM   #91
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Isn't the game at 7:30pm?
Old 01-13-2016, 05:03 PM   #92
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
Isn't the game at 7:30pm?
Yup.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:04 PM   #93
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I hope this game isn't going to be like last years game with Hiller in net.

CPHL Dallas Stars
The Following User Says Thank You to t0rrent98 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2016, 05:08 PM   #94
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a bad feeling we're gonna get destroyed in this one. I hope I'm wrong. Go Flames!
Old 01-13-2016, 05:10 PM   #95
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey.modern View Post
Bit confused right now, what's our second line right now? Bennett center? I think it's the same as the previous game but can someone clarify.
Gaudreau Monahan Ferland
Bennett Backlund Hudler
Raymond Granlund Jones
Bollig Stajan Jooris
Old 01-13-2016, 05:13 PM   #96
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
BTW, if anyone has any specific questions about the Panthers and their players, please ask. I'll do my best to answer.
I do. How can you have split loyalties?
Old 01-13-2016, 05:22 PM   #97
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Taking my dad to see the game tonight. Hoping for a huge Flames win!
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2016, 05:52 PM   #98
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well, it was a good streak while it lasted, panthers. But it all comes crashing down tonight in a convincing fashion. 6-2 Flames.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:55 PM   #99
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Re; OP

The game is at 7:30 apparently. Why an East Coast team should have to stay up til 9:30 to watch their team get spanked by the Matthews condending Flames, I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
Gaudreau Monahan Ferland
Bennett Backlund Hudler
Raymond Granlund Jones
Bollig Stajan Jooris
That might be the best top 6 we've had this year, but that bottom 6 might be the worst lol. Hoping for

Gaudreau Monahan Ferland
Frolik Bennett Hudler
Bouma Backlund Jones
Granlund Stajan Jooris

When healthy.

Last edited by GranteedEV; 01-13-2016 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:03 PM   #100
hockey.modern
First Line Centre

Exp:

I actually feel confident with Hiller in net today. It's his only opportunity to show that he is still a capable NHL goalie and he needs to make the best out of it.

Tags
gtd , winw , winwinwinwinwinwinwinwin