Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 12:26 PM   #61
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Happy Colborne is out.

That game on Monday was probably one of the worst games I have seen him play in a Flames uniform.

Bad decisions, soft on the puck, and every play died on his stick.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2016, 12:26 PM   #62
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
You know the no good Edmonton Oilers? ya those guys that usually allow 40 shots a game? The mediocre Panthers had 14 shots on net against them! Mediocrity beat the no good.

Yes that division where the best player in the league had the Habs atop the standings before he got hurt. Lightning who have had injury isssues/Stamkos contract/Drouin trade request to deal with.

In the end if you barely beat the no good oilers and put up 14 shots on them? you are an mediocre team. No other way around it.
LOL, I love the qualifier "barely". A win is a win, no?

And clearly you've seen the very best the Panthers have to offer by watching one game right? I have to tell you, that was one of their worst games of the year. I even said so in the game thread itself. I've seen them play against the best in the league and school them as well, but yeah, the one game they played that you watched is indicative of how they've been the entire season.

I'm not blaming you either, because how often would you actually get a chance to watch them to know anything otherwise? Point is, I follow them pretty closely, so I have a lot better idea of what kind of team they are.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:29 PM   #63
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

ps - I also like how you say "They're the absolute best team in the league defensively" when Caps have allowed 2 less goals in 1 less game. Also the Kings are tied for goals against having played 1 less game. So they're good defensively, thanks to Lou but they're not absolutely the best team defensively.
Uh, not making anything up here.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/team?report...me&aggregate=0

Click on goals against/game and see what you find. Tied with Washington and slightly ahead of the Kings.

And there are very few teams that have good defensive numbers and lousy goaltending numbers. They go hand in hand.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:32 PM   #64
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
LOL, I love the qualifier "barely". A win is a win, no?

And clearly you've seen the very best the Panthers have to offer by watching one game right? I have to tell you, that was one of their worst games of the year. I even said so in the game thread itself. I've seen them play against the best in the league and school them as well, but yeah, the one game they played that you watched is indicative of how they've been the entire season.

I'm not blaming you either, because how often would you actually get a chance to watch them to know anything otherwise? Point is, I follow them pretty closely, so I have a lot better idea of what kind of team they are.
Sure, a dead clock is right twice a day. So a win is a win.

You're right, I don't watch them cuz I could care less about them. But that one game was against the no good Oilers, where players refuse to back check. If they had trouble beating them, that shows what kind of a team they really are.

Also, after years of piling up losing records and top 5 picks, they better turn the corner and become somewhat exciting for a perspective buyer for re-location. I guess the no good oilers might turn it around some year too.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:34 PM   #65
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Uh, not making anything up here.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/team?report...me&aggregate=0

Click on goals against/game and see what you find. Tied with Washington and slightly ahead of the Kings.

And there are very few teams that have good defensive numbers and lousy goaltending numbers. They go hand in hand.
So they tied with Wash and slightly ahead of Kings, so they're not absolutely the best team defensively? Did I say something different?
Old 01-13-2016, 12:34 PM   #66
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure, a dead clock is right twice a day. So a win is a win.

You're right, I don't watch them cuz I could care less about them. But that one game was against the no good Oilers, where players refuse to back check. If they had trouble beating them, that shows what kind of a team they really are.
Well I guess you're worse than a broken clock, because you haven't been right once yet today.

One game doesn't show much for any team. You seriously can't be that obtuse.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:35 PM   #67
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So they tied with Wash and slightly ahead of Kings, so they're not absolutely the best team defensively? Did I say something different?
You seemed to think that they were behind those teams, and they're not. But go ahead and keep being pedantic. I could do this all day.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:37 PM   #68
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well I guess you're worse than a broken clock, because you haven't been right once yet today.

One game doesn't show much for any team. You seriously can't be that obtuse.
C'mon you're better then that (I think? maybe you're not lol).

I'm right about the fact Panthers are not absolutely the best defensive team in the league. Which you claim they are.

Hope they Flames put them in their place and they go back to their losing ways.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:37 PM   #69
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have zero faith in Hiller. With that being said Go Flames Go!
Old 01-13-2016, 12:38 PM   #70
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

mmmhmmmm shallow and pedantic.

Now that Hiller is in net, I'm going to change my prediction. I still think the Flames win but it'll be 9-7 Flames.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:38 PM   #71
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Florida is my #2 team, I follow them somewhat closely (although not as closely as CPF) and I second him when I say the Panthers are a very good team. These aren't the Panthers of the past 5 years. The Flames shouldn't be taking them lightly. Ekblad out helps us though.

Tears of joy in my eyes that Colborne is scratched. Bold prediction that Hiller plays well and the Flames win 4-1.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2016, 12:38 PM   #72
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You seemed to think that they were behind those teams, and they're not. But go ahead and keep being pedantic. I could do this all day.
Where did I say they are behind those teams? You claimed they were absolutely the best. I told you they're not and used facts to show that.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:41 PM   #73
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Florida is my #2 team, I follow them somewhat closely (although not as closely as CPF) and I second him when I say the Panthers are a very good team. These aren't the Panthers of the past 5 years. The Flames shouldn't be taking them lightly. Ekblad out helps us though.

Tears of joy in my eyes that Colborne is scratched. Bold prediction that Hiller plays well and the Flames win 4-1.
The Flames shouldn't be taking anyone lightly. They'd be focusing on the Matthews sweepstakes by now if they were in any other division.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:51 PM   #74
jessnuts
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Cali, your passion is infectious. Always loved Jagr (who hasn't), but have decided to cheer for the panthers to come out of the east this year. Even with their great season this year it feels like I'll be cheering for an underdog, which is always a bonus. I usually only use my NHL package to watch blacked out Flames games, but I think it will be getting more exercise for the rest of this year at least.

That said, for tonight - screw the panthers. I'll cheer for them to win the 38 other games they have, but Go Flames Go.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jessnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2016, 12:53 PM   #75
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I hope the travelling Jagr's make an appearance at the Dome tonight.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:54 PM   #76
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everytime the Flames play a team Jagr is on, I always pay extra attention as I always seem to think it'll be the last time I'll see him play the Flames. Been saying that for 5 years now...

Cali, why is Jagr so awesome? I mean common, he's on pace for 30 goals at the age of 43!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2016, 01:40 PM   #77
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Fine, let's change dominant to "won convincingly". Most of those games were never in doubt, and the goaltender usually gets a star when the team holds the opposition to very few goals. That's the Panthers M.O., excellent team defense. Score adjusted shot attempts may be more indicative since they were leading most of those games, although I don't delve into advanced stats very often. I watch them play, and most of the shots are from the perimeter with a clear lane for the goalie to see. The last few games, they've gotten away from that, but overall they are very strong in their own end.

What it comes down to is they have something like a 17-0-1 record when scoring 3 goals or more. That's pretty good, and deserves recognition for their ability to close out games whereas previous years they lacked that ability.

They are certainly NOT a "bubble team".
They're going to look like a bubble team tonight when the Flames light them up
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2016, 01:42 PM   #78
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I found the perfect gameplan for Hiller being in net.

Getting my awesome GF to drive my ass to the game so me and my buddy can get wrecked.

Wee!
Old 01-13-2016, 02:10 PM   #79
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm this quote from Hartley:
"It's a matter of giving [Ramo] a break, but at the same time [Hiller] can come in and hopefully [Hiller] plays the next 10."
Old 01-13-2016, 02:11 PM   #80
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everytime cp is crapping out lately, I think we've traded for Drouin.

Tags
gtd , winw , winwinwinwinwinwinwinwin