Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #141
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Patrick Kane is on a team with some of the best 2 way players in the game...its such a stupid debate. Quit talking like he is going out and winning cups by himself he is part of the team and there are more important players to their success then him
Well, he did win the Conn Smythe this year, but what do they know? You're right, it's a team game, but it seems he was pretty damn important last season during the playoffs. There's quite an argument for him being the most important part that time.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #142
Gary83
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Flames switch it up and win 5-1 tonight.

Sven doesn't play another game all year.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #143
wingmaker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I reserve judgment on this as I do not know what is happening behind closed doors. None of us are privy to that information, so it is really not fair to say that we know better than Hartley when we have no idea what the real situation is.

That said, even if it is as simple as it appears, that Hartley simply wants more, well that isn't really that hard to understand. Baertschi is nowhere near the player Kane is, so the comparisons are ridiculous. He has the chance to be a very good player that can score and contribute in a top six role. But he isn't going to get there without being smart and putting in effort in every facet of the game. He is just not a good enough player for that. If he was, his numbers would reflect it. The truth of the matter is, outside of his five game call-up, he has not been a wow prospect. He did not dominate in the AHL, contrary to what some seem to suggest. He played well but he did not dominate. He has not been consistent at the NHL level, despite being on a line that has been the most productive on the team for much of the season. He is somewhere between the NHL and the AHL it seems. If people want to criticize keeping him up and not sending him to the AHL, that seems fair. Clearly, the club feels he can learn and develop with the big club and, as part of the process of acclimatizing him, has decided not to play him every game. This is really nothing new or surprising. It happens to players in every organization. The over reaction on here is really extreme.
Harry, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it, don't wait for it, just... let it happen. Could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or... two cups of good, hot, black coffee.
wingmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wingmaker For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #144
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
I agree with Hartley's quote re: Reinhart but that has nothing to do with Jackman playing with Money and Hudler. Ie. just because Reinhart is playing doesn't mean that Sven can't. If anything he should be replacing Jackman not sven.
Blues are a big, hard checking team. IMO that's why Jackman is in, same with McGrattan and the reason the morning skate lineups look the way they do, at least one big body on each line, spread it out a bit to roll 4 lines. I'd prefer Sven over Jackman anyday, but perhaps we see Sven come in tomorrow vs Avs, an opponent that requires less Jackman/Gratts and more speed/skill like Sven.

Last edited by Stanley; 11-07-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stanley For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #145
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
Blues are a big, hard checking team. IMO that's why Jackman is in, same with McGrattan and the reason the morning skate lineups look the way they do, at least one big body on each line, spread it out a bit to roll 4 lines. I'd prefer Sven over Jackman anyday, but perhaps we see Sven come in tomorrow vs Avs, an opponent that requires less Jackman/Gratts and more speed/skill like Sven.
I'm sure you're right but that might still be the wrong approach. It's not just about one on one physical battles - and these the Flames will most likely lose anyway - it's about not giving up the puck. There's more to puck battle than physical strength. Guys who can only pass the puck along the boards might hurt more than help.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Henry Fool For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #146
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Darren Haynes is such a good follow for stats like this one.

Darren Haynes ‏@DarrenHaynes_CP
Jackman has 2 goals in his last 148 games (nearly 22 hours of ice time). That's the equivalent of listening to Stairway to Heaven 163 times.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #147
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I admit, I don't get those lines at all. I don't see how they could work.

We'll see.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #148
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Fool View Post
I'm sure you're right but that might still be the wrong approach. It's not just about one on one physical battles - and these the Flames will most likely lose anyway - it's about not giving up the puck. There's more to puck battle than physical strength. Guys who can only pass the puck along the boards might hurt more than help.
Fair enough, although one of Sven's flaws is giving up the puck and forcing passes creating turnovers...

If this helps Sven learn the game better and improve consitency and overall effort, then so be it.

Last edited by Stanley; 11-07-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #149
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strombad View Post

If you don't think he should be taught to be defensive, he should sure as hell be putting up some offence.
How does one put up offence when you are on the 4th line or in the press box? I agree he needs to be a better player defensively but at the same time this is a rebuilding year. Either give the kid some minutes or send him down to Abby. This is turning into a return of the Marc Savard vs Flames coach Greg Gilbert debacle and an unwanted distraction for the team.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #150
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
Fair enough, although one of Sven's flaws is giving up the puck and forcing passes creating turnovers...

If this helps Sven learn the game better and improve consitency and overall effort, then so be it.
He's had games where he was very good with his passes and puck management.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #151
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Patrick Kane is -9 right now on the Hawks. Hawks fans agree that he is bad defensively, and they're fine with that, because he's a point per game offensive player.

He is a bad defensive player. I'm not even saying that Baertschi is bad in his own zone, but Patrick Kane is doing just fine, never stepping into his own zone at all (he hasn't significantly improved his defensive play, contrary to what you believe; he's gone from terrible to awful)
I don't know if we can really compare Sven to Kane. From the moment Kane played in the NHL, he was producing. If Sven produced like Kane, there is no way Hartley would sit him.

Honestly, Monahan hasn't been that great in the defensive end as he's still learning the game and making mistakes, but he's in the lineup because he's still producing.

Iggy got lots of icetime in recent years despite not competing in all 3 zones, but he was at least producing offense. If Sven wants to play, he needs to compete and/or produce. He's doing neither right now.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #152
TheDebaser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
He's had games where he was very good with his passes and puck management.
Really, I think he's just learning how to be effective consistently. Sometimes he pulls off the moves that make him a great passer and puck manager, other times he doesn't and ends up losing possession.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #153
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDebaser View Post
Really, I think he's just learning how to be effective consistently. Sometimes he pulls off the moves that make him a great passer and puck manager, other times he doesn't and ends up losing possession.
Yeah, but it's not just about Bärtschi. The idea of icing big bodies against the Blues might be questionable if the big bodies can't hold on to the puck. You don't get anywhere by winning a physical battle and then simply returning the puck to the opponent. Might work one shift but it will cost you in the long run.

Against Minnesota they worked pretty hard for most of the game but they didn't have the puck at all. It looked like a lost game at 1-1.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #154
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by playmaker View Post
projected lines:

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|CGY|home

Bouma - Stajan - Jones
Cammalleri - Colborne - Galiardi
Jackman - Monahan - Hudler
Baertschi - Backlund - McGrattan

Butler - Brodie
Russel - Wideman
Billins - O'Brien

Berra

Let's hope that things turn out well ...
... so that we can draft our franchise dman Ekblad in 2014

I don't mind these lines at all.

Bouma - Stajan - Jones - Gotta mix something up for all these guys who can play but arent seeing results. Bouma should be real fun to watch with these

Cammalleri - Colborne - Galiardi - Sniper, Playmaker, Hustle...should be another fun line.

Jackman - Monahan - Hudler - meh...should be Reinhart in place of Jackman but maybe needs a couple more practices. Mony and Hudler have the undeniable chemistry...puttin Sven on this line leaves Backlund to play with McG and Jackman which just doesnt work.

McG - Backlund - Sven - Really hoping to see some chemistry spark between Sven and Backlund....Hopefully McG adds some confidence for them to play a more finesse game with each other.

I would like to see us scratch Jackman and McG against a team who doesnt have players taking liberties. I can't think of one of the top of my head...are there any?

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #155
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, but it's not just about Bärtschi. The idea of icing big bodies against the Blues might be questionable if the big bodies can't hold on to the puck. You don't get anywhere by winning a physical battle and then simply returning the puck to the opponent. Might work one shift but it will cost you in the long run.

Against Minnesota they worked pretty hard for most of the game but they didn't have the puck at all. It looked like a lost game at 1-1.
Great point, you don't get points and win games for how many body checks you throw in a game. I can't watch this game, I see a blowout coming again.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #156
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor 1 View Post
McG - Backlund - Sven - Really hoping to see some chemistry spark between Sven and Backlund....Hopefully McG adds some confidence for them to play a more finesse game with each other.
Sven isn't playing, Reinhart is.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #157
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

In a non-Sven comment, who would have guessed Alex Steen would be leading the league in goals right now?

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #158
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Sorry, just saw that
Im as puzzled as all of you now.... Jackman and Mcgrattan - No Sven
I might treat tonights game like a Friday night and start tipping cold ones early to ease the frustration.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #159
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
In a non-Sven comment, who would have guessed Alex Steen would be leading the league in goals right now?
He has a disgusting 30% shot rate right now, it's just insane. Seems like every time he touches the puck it ends in the net. He's a solid player, but not this good. His streak is much like Monahan's was at the beginning of the year, yet for him it's somehow lasted over a month now. Fun to watch, that's for sure.
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #160
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Tags
gtd , winwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwinwinwin