Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2012, 12:57 PM   #141
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone know how Mobilicity service compares to wind? Same ish?
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #142
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Does anyone know how Mobilicity service compares to wind? Same ish?
Worseish.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #143
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Switched the second handset from Rogers to Wind today. So long Rogers. Die in a fire.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:14 PM   #144
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So Wind finally let their existing customers get the Galaxy S3 and i got one. I notice there is an unlock option on their site, but i can't find anywhere how much it costs to unlock their phone. Is it free?
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:30 AM   #145
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's $10 to unlock (used to be free), but you used to need 3 months of continuous service; I believe it may now have changed to 6 months.

What do S3 unlock codes go for on ebay and the like?

Edit: what do you think of ths S3? My wife's bb just died, she says the S3 is too big, but it seems pretty light to me.
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:18 AM   #146
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob123 View Post
Edit: what do you think of ths S3? My wife's bb just died, she says the S3 is too big, but it seems pretty light to me.
My wife used to always say the same, she just got rid of her BB 9700 and got an S3 with Rogers. She couldn't be happier. Loves it.
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:30 PM   #147
secol
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

as long as she has average or larger hands she'll be fine....small hands might be an issue though
secol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:52 PM   #148
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by secol View Post
as long as she has average or larger hands she'll be fine....small hands might be an issue though
I've found that the curved design makes it a lot friendlier to hold than something like the S2.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:51 AM   #149
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This weekend, Wind has a promo on for those sitting on the fence. Sign up for the $40 BTS plan on pay after and get one of the Galaxy Nexus, HTC Amaze, or Motorola Razr V for $0 on Windtab (reg $99 on the $40 plan).

http://www.windmobile.ca/en/Pages/am...me-phones.aspx

On a related note to the Amaze, mine is giving me some problems. When I do the soft shutdown or put it in airplane mode, I can't get it to reconnect to the Wind Home network, even after 20-30 mins, unless I do a hard reboot. It's not the battery, since I tried a replacement, and not the Sim (I think), since I tried pulling it, wiping it off, and rebooting. It's not the end of the world since I can just hard reboot it, but a bit frustrating since I need to shut down the phone at work since I get no signal and the battery burns out searching, and then need to hard reboot every time (takes about 1 min to start cold). Any suggestions? I may try a factory reset... This may be better to ask in the android thread.
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #150
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

So based on what I've been reading, it looks like the new iphone isn't likely to be AWS. Crap, I was really hoping I'd be able to get a new iphone and ditch Rogers at the same time.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:07 AM   #151
maidestone
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maidestone View Post
Made the switch after more than 10 years with Rogers/Fido.

$399 for the Huawei Ascend P1 - Awesome display. Fast, duo-core cpu. Smooth ICS, and $200 less than a Samsung SII. Polaris Office software included too!

$29 unlimited plan. 75-100% signal strength in Panorama Hills just south of Stoney Trail. Over 3mbps download speed.

Nothing to complaint about, so far.
10 days into the switch and still VERY satisfied with the coverage and data rate. The Huawei Ascend P1 died though, after 8 days. Took it back to Wind Mobile with the intention of exchanging it for a Samsung Galaxy S3 (I deemed the service easily deserve a better phone) and paying for the difference ($250 plus GST) in costs, only to be told S3s are presently reserved for new activations on Windtab only. Disappointed. Exchanged for another Huawei Ascend P1 which I sincere hope will prove to be more reliable - it is a great phone for the money after all.
maidestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:30 AM   #152
fleudian
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
So based on what I've been reading, it looks like the new iphone isn't likely to be AWS. Crap, I was really hoping I'd be able to get a new iphone and ditch Rogers at the same time.
Where did you read this? I was still holding out hope for an AWS iPhone.
fleudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #153
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
10 days into the switch and still VERY satisfied with the coverage and data rate. The Huawei Ascend P1 died though, after 8 days. Took it back to Wind Mobile with the intention of exchanging it for a Samsung Galaxy S3 (I deemed the service easily deserve a better phone) and paying for the difference ($250 plus GST) in costs, only to be told S3s are presently reserved for new activations on Windtab only. Disappointed. Exchanged for another Huawei Ascend P1 which I sincere hope will prove to be more reliable - it is a great phone for the money after all.
that is false. they released the s3 to all existing customers last week too. I had to go and ask them every week for the past 2 months though!

the s3 is flipping awesome. I can't see the iphone 5 touching it.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #154
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertuzzied View Post
that is false. they released the s3 to all existing customers last week too. I had to go and ask them every week for the past 2 months though!

the s3 is flipping awesome. I can't see the iphone 5 touching it.
No of course not. That is why Apple is suing Samsung to get it banned.
Azure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:10 AM   #155
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I got this phone as well. Seems pretty killer, although this is me going from no data at all on my previous phone.

Did you manage to get a protective case? Wind doesn't sell any at this time. After seeing smashed iphone screens I'm now looking for a case? Not sure where to get one, but this device is thin as paper and a whole lot of screen..
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #156
maidestone
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
I got this phone as well. Seems pretty killer, although this is me going from no data at all on my previous phone.

Did you manage to get a protective case? Wind doesn't sell any at this time. After seeing smashed iphone screens I'm now looking for a case? Not sure where to get one, but this device is thin as paper and a whole lot of screen..
The first Ascend P1 inexplicably refused to turn on after using it for 8 days. Admittedly that would be something that could happen to a Motorola or a Nokia - not to mention a Samsung or a Huawei. I was using that as an excuse to justify getting a Samsung S3 because I have been a bit of a gadget freak all my life. I came from a Samsung Galaxy Q, so to me the P1 is a 4 times improvement at only twice the cost of the Q, and the P1 is honestly an awesome handset in every area and much more cell phone than I really need.

I agree with your observation that the P1 is very thin and has lots of glass area - but then that is Corning Gorilla Glass too, no less. The P1 is a bit of an oddball in North America and so, like yourself, I have not been able to find a case for it. Please let me know if and when you find a nice case for yours? Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to maidestone For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #157
secol
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Stop holding out hope. Tmobile in the state's already bought a different spectrum a while back which is iPhone compatible. Without T-Mobile it make no sense to make the iPhone compatible with the band wind is using
secol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #158
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ Will do maidestone. There seem to be lots available in Europe but that means ordering online and waiting.. anyway I'll let you know!
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2012, 10:44 PM   #159
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The first Ascend P1 inexplicably refused to turn on after using it for 8 days. Admittedly that would be something that could happen to a Motorola or a Nokia - not to mention a Samsung or a Huawei. I was using that as an excuse to justify getting a Samsung S3 because I have been a bit of a gadget freak all my life. I came from a Samsung Galaxy Q, so to me the P1 is a 4 times improvement at only twice the cost of the Q, and the P1 is honestly an awesome handset in every area and much more cell phone than I really need.

I agree with your observation that the P1 is very thin and has lots of glass area - but then that is Corning Gorilla Glass too, no less. The P1 is a bit of an oddball in North America and so, like yourself, I have not been able to find a case for it. Please let me know if and when you find a nice case for yours? Thanks!
I ordered one for you and one for me. If you don't take it I'm selling it in the buy and sell forums
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #160
maidestone
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
I ordered one for you and one for me. If you don't take it I'm selling it in the buy and sell forums
Thank you most sincerely! I'll take it unless it is so expensive that I cannot afford it.
I should appreciate it if you could provide a link to what we are buying.
Thanks again!