Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2014, 02:41 PM   #401
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm assuming with the new LTE capabilities of the iPhone 6, that it would be compatible on the Wind network as well, correct?
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:54 AM   #402
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCallahan View Post
I'm assuming with the new LTE capabilities of the iPhone 6, that it would be compatible on the Wind network as well, correct?
A bit late circling back to this....you're probably right but for the wrong reasons.

The iPhone 6 is very likely going to be supported by Wind (no official announcement, likely a couple/few weeks away) because the phone is AWS HSPA+ compliant.

Wind doesn't offer LTE. That's a different discussion point....!

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:25 AM   #403
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonFourTwo View Post
A bit late circling back to this....you're probably right but for the wrong reasons.

The iPhone 6 is very likely going to be supported by Wind (no official announcement, likely a couple/few weeks away) because the phone is AWS HSPA+ compliant.

Wind doesn't offer LTE. That's a different discussion point....!

Yeah, did some more looking into it after I had posted that, and realized Wind doesn't support LTE yet (sounds like there's doubts that they will!). But with the iPhone 6 supporting the right AWS frequencies , I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't support it! They'll need to if they want to continue to increase their subscriber base. I'm actually someone that's looking to switch over to Wind, and this was going to be a factor in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2014, 10:48 AM   #404
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

^^ Ya - I think the only thing working against Wind (re: iPhone) is that they don't have 'official' support, which I expect to change now that there's a new generation of iPhone that is network compliant from day one (wasn't the case when the iPhone 5 launched). And you're spot on....the user base definitely wants the iPhone, which I suspect is why they've been so good on offering unofficial support for the 5 series. Shows that the company at least tries to give customers what they ask for.....(Robellus, you listening?).

I've said it before and will keep saying it - Wind is an amazing opportunity for 'typical' phone user. I've saved (conservatively) $1000-$1200 over the past 3 years and don't feel like I've sacrificed anything.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:22 AM   #405
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

My wife and myself each have Wind. We both have the iPhone 5c. Absolutely love it. I was with Bell before. When my contact with Bell was up about 3 years ago, I switched my phone number to Wind (was using a Blackberry at the time). The plan I have is unlimited Can/US talk, text, and unlimited data, and voicemail. The unlimited wish plan for $40 a month!
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:15 PM   #406
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://openmedia.ca/blog/you-can%E2...-done-it-again
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:56 AM   #407
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by To Be Quite Honest View Post
http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/09/16/gl...ing-new-phase/

They apparently secured this funding by having a buyout of one of their two initial investors Orascom. Meaning the Egyptians are out of the picture and hopefully call center quality will improve some. This also means $300 million in new funding and expansion of their network. I only wish they had acquired this funding earlier since videotron got all of the 700Mhz spectrum from the gov't for $233 million. Will we see a spectrum transfer or spectrum sharing plan now between Videotron and Wind? Maybe a buyout of Videotron's won spectrum outside of Quebec?

So either way, with the new funding we will likely see LTE at some point on Wind network, improved/expanded coverage and better customer service. This is great news for Wind customers of which there are over 750000 now.

Last edited by FlameOn; 09-16-2014 at 08:58 AM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:22 AM   #408
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Or they are just going to sit tight, maintain status quo, and cash out in a few years to the Big 3.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/tony...lcom-1.2767532

Quote:
What remains to be seen is whether Wind's new owners plan to spend a little cash to beef up their new acquisition in order to truly compete on a national scale. At least one telecom analyst said Tuesday he suspects the plan will likely to be sit tight, maintain the status quo and wait for the earliest chance to flip their asset to one of the incumbents.

"We assume that private equity may just want to operate the asset with modest incremental funding until rules change, and Wind can be sold to an incumbent, perhaps after the 2015 Canadian federal election," Canaccord analyst Dvai Ghose said.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2014, 08:02 PM   #409
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've had my wife and daughter on wind for just over two years...ten more months left till windtab is paid up. Trouble is now though, both of their phones are pooched and they need new ones.

Anyone have any idea how I should approach this with wind? Do I have to pay the tab ($260) before getting any kind of new phone for them...any way of working that into a new deal of some kind, or am I SOL?
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:02 AM   #410
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the tab needs to be paid off when you upgrade your phone through them, if memory serves. If you bring your own phone, they just leave the tab on your account under the original terms.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2014, 10:45 AM   #411
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
I've had my wife and daughter on wind for just over two years...ten more months left till windtab is paid up. Trouble is now though, both of their phones are pooched and they need new ones.

Anyone have any idea how I should approach this with wind? Do I have to pay the tab ($260) before getting any kind of new phone for them...any way of working that into a new deal of some kind, or am I SOL?
I've upgraded my phone twice while under my Wind Tab. I initially got a Nexus S from them (at the discount), but then bought a Nexus 4 and now a OnePlus outright and brought it over.

I think the best bet for you will be to buy a google phone outright (or find something cheap on kijiji, if they Apple-bound) and just put the sim card in.

Wind probably isn't going to allow you to start up a new Wind Tab (and you probably don't want to anyways).
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2014, 08:02 AM   #412
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Or they are just going to sit tight, maintain status quo, and cash out in a few years to the Big 3.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/tony...lcom-1.2767532
I think that Dvai Ghose's analysis in wrong, even foolish, and I'm disappointed that the CBC would even print that. Why?

1. The feds have shown clear, unwavering (even somewhat unfair) support to grow another national carrier.
2. Telus has attempted on a couple of occasions to purchase Mobilicity, and had nothing but roadblocks thrown up. The Feds would make selling Wind Mobile to a major incumbent made virtually impossible.
3. If the 'Pro-business' Conservatives are making such huge concessions to grow another wireless carrier, why would anyone expect the Liberals or NDP to suddenly change the rules?
4. Lacavera has clearly stated that this is to simplify the ownership structure and attract investment to grow the company. He's been at this for several years....not just the past 12 months.
5. There's nothing but upside for Wind Mobile. Traction has been gained (took a while) and their single biggest challenge (consistent investment) has now taken a huge step towards being addressed.

Last edited by WilsonFourTwo; 09-20-2014 at 08:04 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to WilsonFourTwo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2014, 09:36 AM   #413
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the additional funding it looks like Videotron may be looking elsewhere for it's national deployment which is looking to cost upwards for $1-2 billion dollars. Wind and it's new creditors will make it more difficult for Videotron to acquire them and they will likely go after mobilicity instead. If they do neither... then the spectrum is wasted and they will likely scrap and plans for a national rollout
http://business.financialpost.com/20..._lsa=3940-9ad9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Probably this is a sell out to Videotron or merger if anything.

Last edited by FlameOn; 09-21-2014 at 08:54 AM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:52 AM   #414
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does wind ever have promotions or are there prices rock bottom as it is? Im thinking of switching but not sure if I should wait until they come out with a deal or just do it now
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:17 AM   #415
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

We are paying $33 and $35 for my son and sister in law's respective $40 per month plans. That's before the discount of having 2 lines on the one account. Originally we did sign my SIL up for the $40 plan, then when it went on sale paid a $25 admin fee to switch it to $35.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:24 AM   #416
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Does wind ever have promotions or are there prices rock bottom as it is? Im thinking of switching but not sure if I should wait until they come out with a deal or just do it now
They come out with free voicemail deals from time to time or bill credits for roaming charges.

When I signed up I got $200 credit ($20 per month for 10 months) to cover roaming and extra features and free voicemail for the $40 plan with a $300 tab/phone subsidy.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2014, 08:20 AM   #417
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wind tends to have a few promotions throughout the year but like other providers, the three best times tend to be:

1. Back to school (usually cheap talk/text/data)
2. October-ish, when most big manufacturers release their flahship devices (this is hit or miss and usually geared towards getting a specific device)
3. Christmas, because giving someone a recurring bill is apparently a good gift (I still don't get this, lol)

In general though, their plans tend to be pretty rock bottom and picking up service at any point during the year is excellent value. And since there's no service contract you can always alter your plan to take advantage of promos when they come up. I've altered my plan twice in three years.

Frankly, I wouldn't continue paying $85/mth while waiting for a $40/mth plan to become and $35/mth plan.

The biggest barrier is often paying the device cost up front. The cost is really minimized via the WindTab option, which I *highly* recommend using if they have the device that you want.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:46 AM   #418
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonFourTwo View Post
Wind tends to have a few promotions throughout the year but like other providers, the three best times tend to be:

1. Back to school (usually cheap talk/text/data)
2. October-ish, when most big manufacturers release their flahship devices (this is hit or miss and usually geared towards getting a specific device)
3. Christmas, because giving someone a recurring bill is apparently a good gift (I still don't get this, lol)

In general though, their plans tend to be pretty rock bottom and picking up service at any point during the year is excellent value. And since there's no service contract you can always alter your plan to take advantage of promos when they come up. I've altered my plan twice in three years.

Frankly, I wouldn't continue paying $85/mth while waiting for a $40/mth plan to become and $35/mth plan.

The biggest barrier is often paying the device cost up front. The cost is really minimized via the WindTab option, which I *highly* recommend using if they have the device that you want.
Wind tab does lock you in to what is effectively a contract as to leave wind you have to pay off the tab which reduces at a far slower rate than the subsidy/term of tab. It also limits your ability to switch plans within wind as the really low cost plans or promotions have a maximum tab balance which if you go with max subsidy you will exceed.

Not that the tab is a bad deal at all just want to clarify the costs of going with a subsidized device.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:44 AM   #419
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Overall they seem pretty good. The big question for me is whether my iphone 5 will be compatible. As far as prices I talked to a sales rep yesterday and he said their prices are already so low that if they do have a promotion it's usually for an add on thrown in rather than a reduction in price. He also said if you bring your own phone (which I would) you get credits every month that can pay for additional stuff like roaming costs but can't reduce the initial monthly price of the plan.
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:32 AM   #420
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Looks like they have a special holiday package that they announced, essentially it's the $50 package, for $44.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/11/06/wi...ed-us-calling/

Deal ends on Dec 24th
The Following User Says Thank You to MrCallahan For This Useful Post: