Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #261
maidestone
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Hope you see this thread again 4x4!

Because Holy moly this was just announced minutes ago
http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/08/27/go...o-199-and-249/

Just ordered a 16GB one. Delivery this Friday. Total = $278.44.
Simply too good a deal to pass up! ^_^
maidestone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maidestone For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #262
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ Son of a......

I just ordered mine on Friday, 8GB for $309. Here's hoping they'll price adjust......

Thanks for the post, good find for sure!

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #263
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonFourTwo View Post
^ Son of a......

I just ordered mine on Friday, 8GB for $309. Here's hoping they'll price adjust......

Thanks for the post, good find for sure!
https://support.google.com/googlepla...ct/nexus_price
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #264
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Thank you very much!!

And Holy Shatner!! Just looked and the 8GB is only $199. That is UNBELIEVABLE.

I'm literally sitting on my deck waiting for UPS to deliver the phone today.....and now to find out it's $110 less than I expected - wow - great day!

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:22 PM   #265
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonFourTwo View Post
Thank you very much!!

And Holy Shatner!! Just looked and the 8GB is only $199. That is UNBELIEVABLE.

I'm literally sitting on my deck waiting for UPS to deliver the phone today.....and now to find out it's $110 less than I expected - wow - great day!
Like this?

Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:52 PM   #266
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Has anybody else signed up for Wind's $33 plan?
http://www.windmobile.ca/en/Pages/un...verything.aspx

It doesn't seem clear, does the data and text extend outside the Wind zone? If not, is that what the mean with the regular $30 and $40 plans?
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:43 AM   #267
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Has anybody else signed up for Wind's $33 plan?
http://www.windmobile.ca/en/Pages/un...verything.aspx

It doesn't seem clear, does the data and text extend outside the Wind zone? If not, is that what the mean with the regular $30 and $40 plans?
Still the same as other Wind plans, texts outside home zone are 20˘ each and data is something obscene like $2/mb.

I'm on the 2010 HMP $40 plan and nothing is free on Wind Away. Lucky for me, I rarely need my phone outside Calgary, Edmonton, or Ottawa. I unlocked the phone before going to the US because while voice and text roaming were reasonable (20˘ per text/minute), data is just obscene. Add T-Mobile pay per day SIM and set up Google Voice and I could call Canada for free. This solution doesn't work for Away zones in Canada, though. Wind may not be for everyone.
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to billybob123 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #268
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is wind LTE?

Last edited by ken0042; 09-12-2013 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Question split from iPhone 5s thread.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #269
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Is wind LTE?
No. It is only 4g.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #270
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertuzzied View Post
No. It is only 4g.
It's 3G, unless you're slimy marketing teams from att.

Wind uses the AWS spectrum of cellular technology. It's basically the dough left over after all the other carriers used their fancy cookie cutters to take the nice dough out. Same spectrum as t mobile uses in the US, but they have LTE. simply put its low cost because it's low quality. That's a technical truth - although LTE makes it more stable.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HotHotHeat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #271
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

hmmm thats what it says on my s3. I've had no problems with the leftover dough the past 3 years. Unless i'm in a part of a Roger's commercial with those dbag kids.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #272
secol
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

yeah i've had pretty much no problems with reception either
secol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:25 PM   #273
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertuzzied View Post
hmmm thats what it says on my s3. I've had no problems with the leftover dough the past 3 years. Unless i'm in a part of a Roger's commercial with those dbag kids.
Some ROMs list things that shouldn't be, as 4G. Normally it is listing LTE as 4G though, so maybe the wrong thing.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #274
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
It's 3G, unless you're slimy marketing teams from att.

Wind uses the AWS spectrum of cellular technology. It's basically the dough left over after all the other carriers used their fancy cookie cutters to take the nice dough out. Same spectrum as t mobile uses in the US, but they have LTE. simply put its low cost because it's low quality. That's a technical truth - although LTE makes it more stable.
Wind uses 3G and hsdpa +.

HSPDA+ is 4G. It's not LTE 4G but it is a fourth generation of wireless communication.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #275
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Also, your comment about AWS being the cookie dough left over by the bigger carriers is way, way.. way off base. I don't even know exactly what you mean by it. It seriously makes no sense. It seems like you're just trying to downgrade the usefulness of AWS and hoping no one calls you on it. It's just a different wireless spectrum, that's all.

AWS was auctioned by the Canadian Government in 2008. The big three of Telus, Bell and Rogers put a lot of money into this auction and acquired as much of this spectrum as possible. This was the first time the Canadian Government set up a spectrum auction and they set aside some of it for new entries into the market. Telus tried to buy Mobilicity just a couple of months ago, not for their small subscriber base, but for their aws spectrum. The CRTC blocked the deal because that spectrum could not be sold for a set number of years after the auction. It's why Shaw (who never rolled out their cell network with AWS) who had a deal with Rogers is being held up. Why are these companies trying to acquire AWS if it's the cookie cutter dough they cast of? Again, what you said makes zero sense whatsoever.

Now don't get me wrong, AWS isn't special, it's just another form of wireless spectrum. The way you're trying to downgrade it is just foolish and very ill-informed.

The bigger companies are using AWS to roll out their LTE networks. A newer and smaller company like Wind is using AWS for their 3G and HSPDA+(4G) signals because that's all they have. It's not a lower quality, not by any stretch. An all AWS network (t-mobile in the States, Wind in Canada) had previously been at a disadvantage using AWS since it was the only spectrum they had but that's been changing pretty rapidly as all the newest bigger phones now support it. I can't really think of a phone that has come out recently that doesn't support AWS. The iPhone was the last to come around but it now supports AWS and the two newest iPhones (5s and 5c) will support it as well and can be used on Wind Mobile here in Canada when they're available.

Saying LTE makes it more stable is just another one of those totally baffling points as well. It literally make zero sense.

AWS is just a different form of spectrum, just like GSM or CDMA etc.

Just a weird post all around with basically everything you said being totally misleading.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2013, 07:53 AM   #276
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

So I just signed up my son for Wind last night. MMF- from what your are saying is that when we see "H" beside the signal we are getting 4G; which should be faster than 3G. Is that right?

I am impressed with their coverage. We drove around Copperfield last night making sure he'd have coverage at all his friends' houses. Then we headed east on 22X to see where the signal cut out and what the phone would show when "away." We got as far as Hwy 797 before giving up and coming back home. (It was getting late; and I was running too low on gas to want to venture further.)

They were also able to just disable data roaming. So if he does end up "Away" and not notice; he can still text and call. It's one thing for him to not notice and we get a $2 bill for 10 texts; it's another to get a $100 bill because he was watching Youtube.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:26 AM   #277
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
They were also able to just disable data roaming. So if he does end up "Away" and not notice; he can still text and call. It's one thing for him to not notice and we get a $2 bill for 10 texts; it's another to get a $100 bill because he was watching Youtube.
Yep, that feature has saved me when up in crossiron, or even visiting the states when I forget for a moment where I am.

I spend 49 weeks of the year within the safe confines of the city, so I'm still bff with Wind and my GS3

And yes, that H means you are all 4Ged out.

Last edited by MRCboicgy; 09-13-2013 at 08:28 AM.
MRCboicgy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #278
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So I just signed up my son for Wind last night. MMF- from what your are saying is that when we see "H" beside the signal we are getting 4G; which should be faster than 3G. Is that right?

I am impressed with their coverage. We drove around Copperfield last night making sure he'd have coverage at all his friends' houses. Then we headed east on 22X to see where the signal cut out and what the phone would show when "away." We got as far as Hwy 797 before giving up and coming back home. (It was getting late; and I was running too low on gas to want to venture further.)

Unfortunately because of all the marketing spin offs there are terms that are interchangeable terms for the different signal types.

I've always been one to think of the HSPA technology almost as a 3.5G with it being a fourth generation technology but compared to LTE, last generation stuff. Similar as 720p which is technically HD but not true HD, 1080p is to resolution that LTE is to wireless data signal speed IMO.

It would be better all together to throw out the 3G/4G and just leave it specifically as HSPA or LTE. At the very least, glad that Canadian carriers list LTE as LTE on the device.

Last edited by Anduril; 09-13-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #279
maidestone
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I was with Wind for 6 months until 4 months ago. My phone said "No Service" when I was in the YYC cell phone pick up waiting area. So I parked and went inside the airport to the luggage carousel in Meeting Place A. My phone again reported "No Service." CrossIron Mills? I found that about 20% is very weak "Wind Home," 20% is "Wind Away," and the rest is again "No Service."
It is possible that the AWS spectrum is inferior when it comes to indoor reception, hence it is not as good as the others unless it is used for LTE.
Too often I would forget that when I am in a "Wind Away" zone, while I can pay to call or text others, they cannot call or text me back. That is simply unacceptable to me.
After 6 months of constantly checking and worrying about reception wherever I go with my mobile phone, I had enough and went back to Fido.
Wind may have great plans, but the stress of depending on its limited coverage makes it too expensive.
maidestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #280
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oddly, most dead zones for me are inner city. Certain spots on Stephen Ave, like the basement of the Bear and Kilt and the Unicorn, Calgary Court and the mall in Chinatown.. but that's about it. It's been about a year that I've noticed it that way. Funny they can't fix the downtown spots. Coverage everywhere else in the city seems ok.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote