Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #181
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So, I must admit I am way behind on tech. My 3 year plan with Bell is running into about 30 months now and I'm on a Blackberry Bold. So, I'm hearing Wind is the way to go (don't often leave the city)? And the Samsung Galaxy S3?

Does Wind routinely offer that $29 plan, which is basically the $25 plan with unlimited data? I see it was extended to mid month, but, is this something that routinely gets extended or will a new carrot be dangled?

I understand I will owe Bell approx. $25 per month left on contract, can anyone confirm that to be the case? If so, I could likely make the switch anytime now. Are there any cool new phones I should wait for though?
Southside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #182
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside View Post
So, I must admit I am way behind on tech. My 3 year plan with Bell is running into about 30 months now and I'm on a Blackberry Bold. So, I'm hearing Wind is the way to go (don't often leave the city)? And the Samsung Galaxy S3?

Does Wind routinely offer that $29 plan, which is basically the $25 plan with unlimited data? I see it was extended to mid month, but, is this something that routinely gets extended or will a new carrot be dangled?

I understand I will owe Bell approx. $25 per month left on contract, can anyone confirm that to be the case? If so, I could likely make the switch anytime now. Are there any cool new phones I should wait for though?
Just be aware that 29$ excludes voicemail.. which is basically a must. The 40$ plan includes unlimited calling in canada and voicemail. Apparently with the 29$ plan it's 8 bucks for voicemail haha. Kind of a joke, but it makes the 40$ plan a no brainer and for the comfort that you will never really pay anything more is nice.

Hope this helps. I hear the iphone 6 will have cool snap on power connections with treasure maps and 2% more screen for icons. Hehe.

Androids have been great.. I have the Huawei Ascend P1. Who knows what they will come out with in the next 6 months.

Last edited by calumniate; 10-04-2012 at 09:08 PM.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:27 AM   #183
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Just be aware that 29$ excludes voicemail.. which is basically a must. The 40$ plan includes unlimited calling in canada and voicemail. Apparently with the 29$ plan it's 8 bucks for voicemail haha. Kind of a joke, but it makes the 40$ plan a no brainer and for the comfort that you will never really pay anything more is nice.

Hope this helps. I hear the iphone 6 will have cool snap on power connections with treasure maps and 2% more screen for icons. Hehe.

Androids have been great.. I have the Huawei Ascend P1. Who knows what they will come out with in the next 6 months.
Maybe I am in the minority here, but I don't consider voicemail as a must.

If someone calls me, 90% of the messages they will leave are: "Hi, its _____. Call me back". That's exactly what I see when I see a missed call on my call display.

If they need to leave a message that is more detailed than that, they can text or email me.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #184
SeoulFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think it also may depend on how you would like to run windtab - the higher rate plans do give a larger front-end discount than the lower rates (not sure of the exact numbers).

I also wanted to check in and say that (so far) the $5 preferred roaming to the US (10 cents per minute) seems to be working flawlessly (will find out for sure when I get the bill). It auto connects to T-Mobile and have had good service with really no hassles. I am using it as a phone (no data) and like the convenience so far.
SeoulFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #185
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post

If someone calls me, 90% of the messages they will leave are: "Hi, its _____. Call me back". That's exactly what I see when I see a missed call on my call display.

If they need to leave a message that is more detailed than that, they can text or email me.
Yeah.. on that note I think I've had 2 voicemails so far so there's some truth to what you say.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #186
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post

The only reasons voice mail is still an option, is for moms.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #187
maidestone
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Wind Mobile in Alberta is now HSPA+ with HD Voice.

[One of the biggest achievements this September is the complete upgrade of all of our Alberta sites to HSPA+. The entirety of both Edmonton and Calgary are now receiving increased 4G network speeds of up to 21 Mbit/s download, 5.7 Mbit/s upload. Residents in these regions should find their service has improved greatly over the last few weeks.]

[WIND Mobile is also proud to be the first Canadian carrier to introduce HD Voice capabilities throughout its network.]

http://windmobileblog.com/2012/10/se...ches-hd-voice/

Last edited by maidestone; 10-06-2012 at 03:03 PM.
maidestone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maidestone For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #188
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

so what does that mean exactly?
Old 10-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #189
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Think it means when i talk to my mom it sounds like landline quality. I have noticed a difference. Some calls had a bad echo previously
Old 10-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #190
Kipperriffic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

A few years ago people were reluctant to go with Wind because of their limited coverage. How much area do they cover now? And hows the reception?
That is the only thing that kept me from their amazing deals. Currently with Koodo, which i think is the best so far. ( I dont use a smartphone (yet) so dont care about data plans)

(My apologies if this question may have been answered previously. I've not looked through the entire thread yet - direct me to a post # if this qs has been thoroughly answered. thanks!)
Kipperriffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #191
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Better call quality and faster data speeds. Both of which are a big concern because of the spectrum they use.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #192
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Oh. i was wondering what the "H+" on my s3 meant. haha. i thought downloading was just faster because i got a better phone.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #193
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Where would I even see the difference?

I still always only see 3g, maybe it's my phone that's not capable of latching onto this (nexus s)
Old 10-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #194
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

It is possible that your phone can't support the faster data speeds, but you should notice the improved call quality.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #195
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I didn't see this mentioned, but it looks like Wind has extended their coverage area. Copperfield is now covered; as is most of the deep SE.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #196
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I didn't see this mentioned, but it looks like Wind has extended their coverage area. Copperfield is now covered; as is most of the deep SE.
Where did you find this info. I was in south silverado last night and noticed i had three bars for the first time, when normally i get one or none.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #197
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

http://www.windmobile.ca/en/pages/st...dcoverage.aspx
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #198
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So probably an embarrassing newb question... but I noticed Mobilicity has the Galaxy Nexus for 100 bucks less then Wind Mobile. I know this phone is unbranded so if I went to Mobilicity and bought the phone from there could I slip in my sim card from Wind and no problem?
Old 10-19-2012, 10:56 PM   #199
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
So probably an embarrassing newb question... but I noticed Mobilicity has the Galaxy Nexus for 100 bucks less then Wind Mobile. I know this phone is unbranded so if I went to Mobilicity and bought the phone from there could I slip in my sim card from Wind and no problem?
Yeah but Mobi will make you sign up for at least a month, depends on the dealer.
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to billybob123 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #200
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob123 View Post
Yeah but Mobi will make you sign up for at least a month, depends on the dealer.
Yup this. You could consider waiting until the 29th and seeing the exact pricing of the new nexus.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post: