Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2019, 10:57 PM   #1
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default First Time At The Gym

So my usual kind of work over the years has been sales. Computers, batteries, musical instruments, and thus fairly undemanding work physically. But also in that time I have worked on and off over the years for a drummer friend of mine who is an owner/operator of a wicked Hino truck and box with a gutter machine and break press for custom metal bends and all kinds of stuff. In the last year we've done a couple long "tours of duty" that included a lot of Hardie board as well as the usual stuff.

Just the other day, at 36 years old, for the first time I had my shirt off in the mirror and noticed I've actually put on some muscle. I'm still super thin, but I've got all these new baby muscles in places I've never had them. At the Blues Can even this past weekend I had a close friend for a number of years remark how happy I looked, and as fit as I've ever been, and for someone who suffers from chronic depression this is a big deal.

After a week off because the boss had stuff to deal with, I get a call today that his doctors have told him he has to stop work to rehab an injury he hasn't been looking after properly. It really sucks I'm not skilled enough to run the truck on my own, but I think with my music gig schedule getting busy coming up that there is an opportunity here.

Even after a week of not working I can already feel "not as fit" so to speak, and I'd like to maintain at least where I'm at. If I'm not doing siding (which involves a lot of lifting and climbing) then it looks like I'll have to go to the gym.

The thing is I find this very intimidating and was wondering if anyone on CP would help a brother out? I don't know how to use the machines or even work out safely. I'm just used to the day job. I don't want to injure myself, but also I don't think at least first time I'd want to deal with the staff, who are paid to be friendly. At least with another CPer we can have shop talk.

Sorry if this sounds weird, but like I said, I suffer from chronic depression and the last few months have been a wonderful reprieve. I attribute a lot of that to fitness, and I'd like to see this through. Depression is terrible, and the idea of having a cure, or at least a stop-gap would be so rad. Also, girls...

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 01:22 AM   #2
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Get a personal trainer. They're not paid to be friendly, they're paid to teach you how to do things the right way.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:57 AM   #3
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I'd also recommend a personal trainer. You'll get the best results and must satisfaction from learning to do free weights and barbell lifts. It takes a professional to teach you the basics though. Just make sure you find one who actually has the ability to do that. Must trainers will just want to sell you more classes. After twenty years of working out, I need the occasional private training session to tweak my lifts. Quite frankly, I wouldn't trust a non-professional to be able to help.

Also congrats on getting into the gym. I've always felt that exercise is very important to mental health.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:49 AM   #4
Delthefunky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just a couple rounds of pushups, situps, squats or to combine it all "burpees" should work. Trick is to not overdo it, but stick with it over time. Good luck, and hope everythings going fine!
Delthefunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Delthefunky For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 04:57 AM   #5
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Props to taking the step to go to the gym. I certainly haven't done that. Started running again after 2+ years, it's not easy so you deserve credit.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 07:08 AM   #6
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

There's no better tool for combating depression than good physical health. I'd recommend spending a bit of time experimenting with different workout programs and styles, to find something that you'll enjoy enough to continually make time for.

I think you would get the most out of a simple strength training program that focused on compound movements such as squats, presses and dead lifts, like starting strength. They don't require a lot of your time, you'll gain a lot of fundamental knowledge about your body and working out, and after about three months you're going to start to look and feel like an entirely different human being.

Last edited by Matata; 06-19-2019 at 07:10 AM.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:31 AM   #7
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've been going to Orange Theory for the last couple of years and it's really helped me both physically and mentally. It's a guided group workout at a very quick pace. I find it's helped me push myself a lot more than if I was to just show up at the gym. It's kinda like a personal trainer but in a group setting. There aren't a bunch of people preening in the mirror either and it's all shapes and sizes. You can do it as little as one hour a week. There are other similar gyms like Crossfit but they seem a little less casual and little more culty.

I think they have a free trial session but I'm not 100% sure.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:39 AM   #8
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good for you man. I remember when I first went to the gym, I was skinny, weak, and self-conscious that other people at the gym would be critical of me. I eventually realized that as long as you are courteous and clean up after yourself, no one will even notice you. Just go in, focus on yourself, and do your thing. A couple of quick things that I would advise:

1) Take a few pictures of yourself before you join the gym so that 2-3 months from now, you can compare yourself to what you used to look like. You'll be surprised at your gains and it will really help with motivation.

2) Start with light-weights and focus on using proper form and full range of movement. This will help you avoid injury when you eventually work up to heavier weights. Another benefit is that since you are new to the gym, as long as you keep at it, you will see results even if you are lifting light weights.

3) As some have mentioned, hiring a trainer can be helpful. If money is a concern, you might want to look at hiring them for just a few sessions so they can put together a work-out plan for you. There are some great fitness channels on Youtube as well. The best that I have come across is Athlean X, so check that out if you need some workout ideas.

4) Each time you go to the gym, make sure you know what you are going to do before you get there. This will help you stay focused and will allow you to get the most out of your workouts.

5) Finally, just stick with it. Maybe you won't ever be a bodybuilder, but if you stick with it, you will reap the benefits both mentally and physically.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:53 AM   #9
Guest1

I'm not a fan of machines.... they only focus on the 1 or 2 muscles they specialize in and that's it. Where free weights give the opportunity to work out your stabilizing muscles and core (leg press machine vs squats). I found Dr. John Rusin on Facebook and he posts alot of videos on exercises that I find fun to do. Just make sure you're warming up with a little cardio before to prevent injury! Finding the right gym helps too. If it's too busy, I tend not to go because not being able to find room or use a bench pisses me off. The gym at Canyon Meadows is usually pretty quiet (but don't tell anyone... I don't want it to get out!)
Have fun!
Old 06-19-2019, 08:03 AM   #10
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no doubt personal trainers get you the best results, but they are also expensive. If that isn't a concern, go that route, but if it is, I don't think it's necessary.

When you first sign up for a gym, they usually give you three personal training sessions for free. Partly to give you a good introduction to the gym and make sure you know how to do everything properly, but also in the hopes of signing you up with a trainer when it's done. During your initial consultation they'll ask you questions about your goals for the gym (want to get bigger or just more toned, specific areas looking to improve, etc), and will then tailor those 3 workouts to your goals. When it's over, you can just keep doing those same workout routines they showed you on your own.

If continued motivation is an issue, trainers would also be great for guilting yourself to go to the gym on days you're not feeling it, as you won't want to cancel and let them down/mess up their schedule. But if motivation isn't an issue, I don't think it's a must-do. I underwent a similar thing as you 4 years ago without a trainer and just mimicked the routines they showed me in those initial sessions, and I'm pretty happy with the results. Would it be even better with a trainer? Oh probably. But I prefer the extra $1-2K in my pocket.
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:07 AM   #11
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's bring a buddy day at Repsol on Friday. If you want you can be my buddy. Repsol is a good place to start. They have trainers although every time I see them training someone they're running them into the ground. It's brutal. I have never seen a return client. I feel so bad for those first timers.

Lifting is pretty straight forward. I can get you started. I like doing other stuff like hiit cardio. And really, I'm just there for the pick up basketball. It's nice to go with someone who can get you started but it's the kind of place where you'll be up and running on your own in no time. And it's pretty cheap..I think like $70 a month.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 08:51 AM   #12
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been lifting for several years and I've been working with a PT for the last year. If you have any questions, just PM me.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 08:53 AM   #13
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you have the space, don't underestimate the awesomeness of a home gym. Lots of cheap equipment on Kijiji and you will save a load of money over the years.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:03 AM   #14
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally, I've never really been as excited as others to recommend going to the gym. I find that I just mostly do cardio there. I do want to re-iterate that no one judges you at a gym unless you're leaving a mess behind or causing a scene.

For me, if it's free weights it's generally not hard to find a pair of weights that'll do the trick for cheap at home. Pull up bars that attach to door frames aren't hard to come by either. I personally preferred going on runs and doing basic push ups and pull ups at home to paying for Goodlife or whatever. I had also spent the time to acquire a stretching manual to focus on flexibility. Youtube also has a ton of great resource videos to give you an idea what you're aiming for.

If you've never been, I think Goodlife offers a free trial for a few weeks or something and you can go to whatever locations they have. It's worth jumping on that offer to see if going to the gym is your thing, but for me, I didn't prefer that route.

Yoga on the other hand... damn. I really enjoyed doing intro hot yoga classes. My balance and flexibility is better and I also feel stronger.

I agree with others to compare pics. Looking at weight isn't a great indicator as you could maintain the same weight, but be significantly more fit.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:05 AM   #15
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
If you have the space, don't underestimate the awesomeness of a home gym. Lots of cheap equipment on Kijiji and you will save a load of money over the years.
May work for you but doesn't for a lot of people.
There's a reason all that equipment is on Kijiji, people stop using it.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:08 AM   #16
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
May work for you but doesn't for a lot of people.
There's a reason all that equipment is on Kijiji, people stop using it.
At least if you quit at home you aren't on the hook for $1000 gym memberships! Personally I'm a lot more likely to go do some stuff after work if all I have to do is get changed.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:13 AM   #17
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think a big part of the mental health aspect of going to the gym is actually going to a gym. It may be that getting out of the house, being around other people and making it a routine in your life helps along with the benefits of the actual physical activity.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 09:34 AM   #18
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thank you so much for all the responses!

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:43 AM   #19
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Two things:
1. As said in this thread, get a good personal trainer. They'll help teach you proper form so you don't hurt yourself.
2. Once you're ready to go solo, get a good app to track your progress. I like JEFIT for tracking my lifts, and you can make new routines and see shared public routines too. The app also shows an animation of what the movement should look like, so you can try new unfamiliar movements.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:48 AM   #20
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I've been lifting for several years and I've been working with a PT for the last year. If you have any questions, just PM me.
Same. I've been working out with a PT for going on three years and it's the been best use of time, energy and money that I can think of.

The original intent was to go for a month or so to learn the big compound movements safely then buy more equipment and train at home. It was obvious by the second session that the trainer had such a vast amount of knowledge it seemed crazy not to continue, so I did. And not just in workout plans and technique but myriad things related to diet and other wellness-related knowledge. As mentioned by others, if you can afford it, make the investment in yourself. It is well worth it.

Goal setting and accountability are important for long term success, so another benefit of having a PT is that you will probably be doing movements you wouldn't make yourself do, and you will be pushed harder. This brings results but be patient. Results come from consistency, not occasional spurts of uber intensity.

I suggest you look at it, mentally, as a permanent life style change that you will take some time to ease into and incorporate to everyday life. Set some stretch but achievable goals. Resist the temptation to go crazy intense when you start. Lot's of people injure themselves because they are too aggressive trying to gain strength or set new personal records. My personal goals have nothing to do with weight lifted or strength gained. A good trainer will hold you accountable not just for arriving at your sessions (not missing workouts is a personal KPI) and working hard at your sessions, but also for your diet.

If you are going to put in a big effort it only makes sense to maximize your results. This includes knowledge and discipline about how to correctly feed and rest yourself. There's lots more things like tracking macros, food planning, etc. Feel free to PM me.
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote