Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-14-2019, 08:20 AM   #1061
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Every day I get more and more depressed with peoples behaviours.
Meh, I've had people do this to me almost 30 years ago.

Lots of cyclists are pricks too, those pathways bring out the Mad Max in people.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:26 AM   #1062
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Every day I get more and more depressed with peoples behaviours.

Go ride in cycling friendly cities, and then come back. Makes it even worse when you ride here.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:31 AM   #1063
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
I didn't wuss out today. Put on the rain gear and rode in. It doesn't matter how expensive the rain jacket is, they're all liars when they tell you they're "breathable".
Not liars, you just exceed the amount of vapour that can be passed through the membrane. Even the most breathable jacket is overwhelmed by the amount of vapour generated biking.

Pit zips help quite at but but I find biking you want water resistant not water proof. Just a good DWR wind shirt rather than a real rain coat. Then just pack a rain coat in case you breakdown.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:49 AM   #1064
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I chickened out biking and took a car2go. By the time I walked 5 minutes to the car, the rain was completely finished.
What a sucker.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:16 AM   #1065
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Anyone else read this toilet paper opinion piece?

https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/co...hits-the-ditch

Grinds my gears..
Old 06-14-2019, 09:31 AM   #1066
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post

Grinds my gears..
honestly, what is wrong with people? its baffling to me that people have such a hate boner for cycling. the old saying of "rome wasn't built in a day" is pretty apt here. I'm a cyclist, and anecdotally, the #1 reason people i know dont ride bikes to get around isn't because of the winter, its because RIDING A BIKE ON CALGARY ROADS IS TERRIFYING(if you're not used to it).

it's a chicken and egg situation. people dont bike because its scary and need infrastructure to make it less scary. why spend money on infrastructure if nobody uses them. the cycle continues on and on and on because people have no idea that its possible to move and be closer to where you work or find a job closer to where you live(unpopular opinion, i know), and get personally offended if they need to take an extra 3 seconds on their completely voluntary trips to ensure the safety of another human being

it just...makes me sad that so many people think that promoting alternative forms of transportation makes you a red commie bastard who hates freedom and trucks
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:34 AM   #1067
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Calgary is built for automobiles, everyone drives but everything that annoys me about driving is cyclists fault like high parking costs."

Maybe it's the fact that 'everyone' drives means parking spots are limited. That whole silly supply and demand thing...
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:38 AM   #1068
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Grinds my gears..

Saw that pop up on twitter yesterday, no way I feed it a click. Life's too short.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:41 AM   #1069
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
"Calgary is built for automobiles, everyone drives but everything that annoys me about driving is cyclists fault like high parking costs."

Maybe it's the fact that 'everyone' drives means parking spots are limited. That whole silly supply and demand thing...
Someone hasn't been downtown in the last, um, three years...
Old 06-14-2019, 09:46 AM   #1070
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Someone hasn't been downtown in the last, um, three years...
Or you haven't take a bus..ever.

Instead of say $350 if they moved it to $150, they would instantly be full because a bus pass is just over $100 and the convenience would be worth $50 but not that extra $150. In any case, it's not the cyclists fault...
Old 06-14-2019, 09:51 AM   #1071
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Grinds my gears..
I believe that article was advocating sending 1.6% of the transportation budget on dedicated cycling infrastructure and 5% on dedicated walking infrastructure. I don’t know if he realizes it or not but he is pro-cycling infrastructure.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 02:12 PM   #1072
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wired failure today,. My free hub broke loose and when I peddle the cassette spins but doesn't transfer to the wheels. Stupid POS wheeltech hub. Never had a problem in my life with hubs and this one has failed twice in 2 totally different ways .
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:24 PM   #1073
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

^ where is it dry enough to ride? That happened to me twice last season as well. Starting to think the huge cogs that come on cassettes these days put down more torque than the hub can handle.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:58 PM   #1074
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

We are out in Cyprus Hills. It's a 29er, and I am not light, so ya, lots of torque. The internet tells me it's possible the ring with the teeth inside can break loose, which is what it feels like. The pawls engage fine. May need to find the beefiest hub they make...
Old 06-14-2019, 10:15 PM   #1075
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had my Stan’s rear hub melt down in a similar fashion. I was just gliding down to the hut at keystone standard basin and had to push/glide on down hills 11k back to the trailhead. Only time I have had such an epic failure
Old 06-17-2019, 04:01 PM   #1076
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Idaho Stop inquiry defeated 7-6. Saw that Jeromy Farkas voted for it, finally something I agreed with him on and then:
https://calgarysun.com/news/local-ne...c-6ad5821ec609
Quote:
“I’m sort of voting yes just to anticipate the look on Jason Kenney’s face when we ask him to look at this. I just think it’s funny more than anything else,” said Farkas at Monday’s meeting.
The 7 asshats should be ashamed of themselves. There's literally no reason not to explore it. Studies have shown it's safer:

Quote:
A 2010 study from UC Berkeley found bicycle injuries dropped by 15 per cent in the year following the introduction of the measure in Idaho.
Just remember next election, these people do not care about the safety of Calgarians.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2019, 04:34 PM   #1077
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So massive speeding fines and zero common sense? Sounds about right. I just about got run over on my way home form an SUV doing an Idaho stop.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:52 PM   #1078
redflamesfan08
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
So massive speeding fines and zero common sense? Sounds about right. I just about got run over on my way home form an SUV doing an Idaho stop.
Only an Idaho stop when cyclist do it. When drivers roll stop signs (or turning right on a red) its just business as usual. After logging almost 13000km the last 3.5 years on my bike I feel quite confident saying the average driver in the suburbs would lose their license on points in a week if they were actually monitored. And yet bikes are the danger we need to watch out for.
redflamesfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:06 PM   #1079
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone in a bike or a car actually stop at stop signs. I will continue to rolling stop in a car and Idaho Stop on a bike.

Their isn’t sufficient enforcement of either to worry about.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:58 PM   #1080
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've got a 4-way on 3rd ave and 7th st that I stop at twice a day. Like, really stop. Crazy notion. It does piss me off when a bike goes blowing through it, a women did that today in front of me and got honked at. Why would I want to do that?

I have another one in Sunnyside that I Idaho stop at if there are no cars and pedestrians around. It really depends on the circumstance. But I always stop in a vehicle, because my brother once got a $365 running a stop signs ticket, and it cost him in insurance for 10 years. I'm cheap enough that lesson sticks with me. And because you can kill someone. Kind of a biggie.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: