Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2014, 08:26 AM   #21
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Canadians have been identified. Muktesh Mukherjee and Xiaomo Bai. Married couple with 2 kids. Terrible news. I'm not sure if they are travelling with their children, but it looks to be so (btw, don't think children are Canadian citizens).
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:46 AM   #22
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Austrian government saying that Austrian passenger listed on the manifest was not on board, and had their passport stolen 2 years ago. Italian government also stating the Italian listed on the manifest was not on board, trying to confirm if their passport was also stolen in the past. Could be nothing, but could also be a bad sign?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/08/world/...html?hpt=hp_t1
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:55 AM   #23
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

yeah, that would be an amazing "coincidence" two people with stolen passports on board?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:59 AM   #24
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

I know this is speculative, but since I was in Kuala Lumpur only 3 weeks ago, and went through their airport screening process, I'll share my experience here.

I went through 2 security screening. First was at the main airport area before taking the express rail link to the departure zone. The second was at the departure zone right before boarding. The security screen was, for a lack of a better word, terrible. I had forgotten my bottle of water and had left it in my bag. Both times I was able to pass security without being asked to get rid of it. It was definitely more than the limit of 100ml. Furthermore, the gate had beeped as I passed through, signaling that I had metal objects with me. I realized I had forgotten my belt and promptly took it off, thinking I'd have to pass through the gate again. TSA just waved me through.

Like I said, it's speculative, I hope this isn't the case of some terror plot, but based on my experience with security, I would not be surprised.
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:04 AM   #25
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also wildly speculative, but they just had that terror attack in that Chinese train station. Considering that the plane was mostly chinese nationals, perhaps China has a terrorism problem.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:06 AM   #26
InSutterWeTrust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

A person I follow on Twitter who does some work in the aviation world tweeted the Air France flight that crashed in 2009 had failure reports and warnings before it crashed. There appears to be no such warnings or failures from the Malaysia flight. Makes you wonder what happened.

InSutterWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:11 AM   #27
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InSutterWeTrust View Post
A person I follow on Twitter who does some work in the aviation world tweeted the Air France flight that crashed in 2009 had failure reports and warnings before it crashed. There appears to be no such warnings or failures from the Malaysia flight. Makes you wonder what happened.
That was because the Air France aircraft had ACARS messages being transmitted to the AF control centre, I do believe I have read that this aircraft did not have that option. So we have no reports of that nature in this case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraf...porting_System
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2014, 09:13 AM   #28
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
That was because the Air France aircraft had ACARS messages being transmitted to the AF control centre, I do believe I have read that this aircraft did not have that option. So we have no reports of that nature in this case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraf...porting_System
Since you're an aviation fanatic, in terms of major crashes, what is the ratio of plane crashes that happen at altitude?
Old 03-08-2014, 09:22 AM   #29
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Since you're an aviation fanatic, in terms of major crashes, what is the ratio of plane crashes that happen at altitude?
Not too sure, but they are probably in the minority, I do believe the majority of incidents happen in the time around takeoff and landing.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:30 AM   #30
gordo67
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My brother in law works in Malaysia. That is one of the planes he takes home every 3 weeks. Luckily he just went back to work.
gordo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:30 AM   #31
prime333
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Can the families sue the company for lost of love ones?
prime333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:35 AM   #32
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyCallMeBruce View Post
I know this is speculative, but since I was in Kuala Lumpur only 3 weeks ago, and went through their airport screening process, I'll share my experience here.

I went through 2 security screening. First was at the main airport area before taking the express rail link to the departure zone. The second was at the departure zone right before boarding. The security screen was, for a lack of a better word, terrible. I had forgotten my bottle of water and had left it in my bag. Both times I was able to pass security without being asked to get rid of it. It was definitely more than the limit of 100ml. Furthermore, the gate had beeped as I passed through, signaling that I had metal objects with me. I realized I had forgotten my belt and promptly took it off, thinking I'd have to pass through the gate again. TSA just waved me through.

Like I said, it's speculative, I hope this isn't the case of some terror plot, but based on my experience with security, I would not be surprised.
I accidentally flew from Toronto to Vancouver and back with a knife in my computer case. It's pretty much a crap shoot that they find anything. In fact, it wasn't even discovered in my bag until I was going through security in Fort St. John of all places.

A co-worker of mine is in SE Asia right now and has Malaysia and China in his itinerary (Hong Kong though, so I figured he wouldn't be on a plane to Beijing). Not that I would want anyone to be in that situation, but I was glad he wasn't on this one.

Back in 2000, there was an Alaska Airlines flight that experienced cruising altitude problems that led to a crash off the coast of California. They did have contact with ATC during their situation though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Airlines_Flight_261

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 03-08-2014 at 09:43 AM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:45 AM   #33
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I was always told that the high majority (80%) of crashes happen within the first 3 or last 8 minutes of a flight.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:45 AM   #34
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prime333 View Post
Can the families sue the company for lost of love ones?
I'm sure they could...eventually, but am guessing that's the last thing on their minds right now.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:46 AM   #35
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Back in 2000, there was an Alaska Airlines flight that experienced cruising altitude problems that led to a crash off the coast of California. They did have contact with ATC during their situation though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Airlines_Flight_261
That accident was straight up horrible. Can't imagine what it was like for passengers in the cabin, the pilots fought that plane right until the end.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2014, 09:48 AM   #36
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
That accident was straight up horrible. Can't imagine what it was like for passengers in the cabin, the pilots fought that plane right until the end.
That crash was one of the worst from that perspective. I hated watching the animation of the plane's descent on mayday.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:49 AM   #37
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, two 80 second dives. I would have been dead of a heart attack long before we hit the water.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:50 AM   #38
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

This sounds very much like a "terrorist" type situation for sure. No contact from the pilots in any way about an issue with the aircraft, screams out that they were incapacitated by something or other.

Something catastrophic happened without question.

Awful stuff.

Last edited by transplant99; 03-08-2014 at 09:53 AM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:52 AM   #39
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

A friend said she just read that 2 stolen passports (one Australian, one Italian) were used to board the flight. I'm off to google to see if I can find anything about that.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:00 AM   #40
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
A friend said she just read that 2 stolen passports (one Australian, one Italian) were used to board the flight. I'm off to google to see if I can find anything about that.
Yes that's been reported but really may not have anything to do with the fate of the plane. Lots of stolen passports used around the world for lots of reasons, not exclusively the realm of terrorism.