Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2019, 06:40 AM   #121
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
People should pay attention to what happened in the NBA and NHL this year. The Blues and Raptors weren’t the favorites coming into the year. But they had contending teams that were in the mix. And when things broke right for them, they won it all.

There are no prohibitive favorites in the NHL. Wilson has built a team that has contended for several years and will contend for at least a few more. Their window has not closed IMO.
Nobody is saying their window has closed but you just said "at least a few more" they gave the guy an 8 year deal not a 5 year deal. What happens after a few more years? I don't think anyone is debating they will be a good, competitive team for the next few seasons. It's after that as their forward group is starting to get thin on star power and their most important player in Burns is getting up there in age.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:27 AM   #122
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Nah I think the window has closed. Pavelski gone, Thornton gone. Kane, overrated.

Burns and the goalie are great but for how long?
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:29 AM   #123
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Deal could be long but people have been saying the Sharks window is closing for several years now. Doug Wilson has kept it going and deserves some benefit of the doubt (admittedly I’m a fan so I’m biased).
Old 06-18-2019, 07:30 AM   #124
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Nobody is saying their window has closed but you just said "at least a few more" they gave the guy an 8 year deal not a 5 year deal. What happens after a few more years? I don't think anyone is debating they will be a good, competitive team for the next few seasons. It's after that as their forward group is starting to get thin on star power and their most important player in Burns is getting up there in age.
I'm sure they would have loved to give him a 5 year deal. It wasn't on the table, he was a UFA. That's the market. But it doesn't make much difference. Their window is now. In 5 years they'll be rebuilding anyway, his cap hit won't really matter. That's the cap world game.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:36 AM   #125
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Nah I think the window has closed. Pavelski gone, Thornton gone. Kane, overrated.

Jones wasn't great this year at all.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 02:10 PM   #126
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Jones is not great lol
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:48 PM   #127
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

That’s actually a good point. Scratch the goalie too. So what are they?

The Sharks are in trouble.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:40 PM   #128
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
That’s actually a good point. Scratch the goalie too. So what are they?

The Sharks are in trouble.

They are a contender.

They made it to the Conference Final this season and have a very good chance of doing that again.

They went six games with the eventual Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues, despite having injuries to key players.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brick For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 07:36 PM   #129
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick View Post
They are a contender.

They made it to the Conference Final this season and have a very good chance of doing that again.

They went six games with the eventual Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues, despite having injuries to key players.
They could just as easily be eliminated in the first round. I'm curious how you measure their "very good chance"?
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:44 PM   #130
Singularity
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I wonder if the plan is to leave him exposed for the expansion draft. Use him for another season then off load him sooner then later.
Full NMC
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:03 AM   #131
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with those saying this is a risky contract, but there’s some absurdly bad takes on Erik Karlsson as a player in here. The guy still scored at a 70 point pace this season despite being plagued with injuries. He was great for them in the playoffs. This is a two time Norris winning defenseman and he’s on our biggest competition for the division title for the next 8 years. That’s not a good thing for Flames fans. Maybe in 5 years it will be but certainly not now. I was really hoping he’d wind up in New York or Tampa or something.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:19 AM   #132
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

This isn't the first time people have thought the Sharks were in trouble. Yet they always seem to remain as one of the top Western teams.

They have too many elite players to not be a home-playoff team IMO. Hertl, Labanc and Meier just put up 74, 56 and 66 points respectively. I doubt Jones has another sub-90% season next year.

They'll probably slow down eventually, but I don't think it'll happen next year.
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote