Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2018, 11:00 PM   #301
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Free Solo was probably the best theatre experience since Dunkirk or Valerian for me.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 12:16 AM   #302
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Took my kid to see Ralph Breaks the Internet. We loved it. Personally, I think it was better than the first. Lots of good life lessons in there for kids, tons of tech and social references, and plenty of laughs. My 4 year old was dying laughing on a lot of scenes, and so was I. I particularly enjoyed the Disney Princesses and how they were utilized. Also loved how they used most of the original voice actresses.

I highly recommend, regardless if you have young ones.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2018, 05:25 PM   #303
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Interesting. I took my 9 year old son to see Ralph Breaks the Internet and we both thought the first one was a lot better. This one just kinda fell flat I thought. Seemed really predictable too. Not the worst movie but certainly not one of the best.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:41 PM   #304
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
Interesting. I took my 9 year old son to see Ralph Breaks the Internet and we both thought the first one was a lot better. This one just kinda fell flat I thought. Seemed really predictable too. Not the worst movie but certainly not one of the best.
Spoiler!
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2018, 09:57 AM   #305
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched Thor: Ragnarok on Netflix last night after avoiding it since it came out... I thought it was quite entertaining!
Old 11-27-2018, 02:45 PM   #306
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

The new Suspiria was fun. Its a deliberately obtuse in a good way, looks good and is nicely creepy, has some excellent supernatural scenes, good dancing and a real firework finale. Easily among my favorite recent horror films.

It's more creepy and suspenseful than actually scary. If you need to understand everything you see on screen then this isn't a film for you, but if you take it as a trip it's quite entertaining. Although I'm sure a lot of people will hate it, it's just that kind of movie; hard to follow and doesn't even try to explain itself most of the time. But as I said I liked it. In all its retroness it actually felt quite refreshing.

So would recommend, sort of, proceed with caution
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:00 PM   #307
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
The new Suspiria was fun. Its a deliberately obtuse in a good way, looks good and is nicely creepy, has some excellent supernatural scenes, good dancing and a real firework finale. Easily among my favorite recent horror films.

It's more creepy and suspenseful than actually scary. If you need to understand everything you see on screen then this isn't a film for you, but if you take it as a trip it's quite entertaining. Although I'm sure a lot of people will hate it, it's just that kind of movie; hard to follow and doesn't even try to explain itself most of the time. But as I said I liked it. In all its retroness it actually felt quite refreshing.

So would recommend, sort of, proceed with caution
Spoiler!
Old 11-28-2018, 12:27 AM   #308
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Spoiler!
Yeah, that scene was quite grotesque. I'd also call it possibly the best scene in the movie, very likely a future classic. I can honestly say I haven't seen anything close to that before, at least not even near as well done. Thats the scene that I think might really stick with you.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2018, 01:14 AM   #309
sl888
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PEI View Post
Free Solo was probably the best theatre experience since Dunkirk or Valerian for me.
You should check out The Dawn Wall with Tommy Caldwell.
sl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sl888 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2018, 07:49 AM   #310
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl888 View Post
You should check out The Dawn Wall with Tommy Caldwell.
I just watched that and it was awesome.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:35 AM   #311
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
The themes in Harry Potter are such pervasive children and young adult literature themes that it's IMO a bit unfair to criticize HP for them. If one were to write a YA book, the first question to ask why the same themes and plot points that run through most YA fiction from Brother's Grimm to Narnia to HP to Wildwood to Hunger Games. The fact is these there are strongly resonant themes that are part of the genre, and it would be silly to ignore them. Like hooks in popular music, we get a little psychological response when stories hit plot points that we may or may not have been anticipating but which we subconsciously recognize from other stories.
When I start watching a movie in which the child has absent parents, and the child is a misfit in their world, and then something happens that force them out of their environment into a different world (and there are literally dozens of movies that start out like that), my mind is already set up for a whole bunch of themes and plot-points. It's best if some of these are rewarded and some of these are subverted, but everything is done with an awareness of those expectations.
nm

Last edited by calgarybornnraised; 11-29-2018 at 01:38 AM.
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:23 PM   #312
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Yeah, that scene was quite grotesque. I'd also call it possibly the best scene in the movie, very likely a future classic. I can honestly say I haven't seen anything close to that before, at least not even near as well done. Thats the scene that I think might really stick with you.
Agreed it was beautifully put together. Probably could have had a short film of just that scene and pretty much hit the same notes as the whole feature.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:49 PM   #313
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

The Long Dumb Road is an ok road movie, but I’m a sucker for Jason Manzoukas playing a dirtbag so I quite enjoyed it.

In Hearts Beat Loud Nick Offerman is a single dad who writes songs with his daughter during the summer before she leaves for college in an attempt to relive past glories. Its also only ok, but it’s geared towards indie rock nerds like me which bumps it up a notch.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:06 PM   #314
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

As a card carrying member of the Nic Cage fan club I was sorely disappointed with Mandy. It was ok I guess, artsy and slow as hell for the first hour+ and then it picks up a bit. It was not the high octane psychotic masterpiece the reviews and buzz led me to believe. If you enjoy films like VVitch, The Proposition (Guy Pearce version), Heavy Metal, and Fantasia it’s for you. Not crap but not what I was hoping for.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:57 AM   #315
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
As a card carrying member of the Nic Cage fan club I was sorely disappointed with Mandy. It was ok I guess, artsy and slow as hell for the first hour+ and then it picks up a bit. It was not the high octane psychotic masterpiece the reviews and buzz led me to believe. If you enjoy films like VVitch, The Proposition (Guy Pearce version), Heavy Metal, and Fantasia it’s for you. Not crap but not what I was hoping for.
I liked it. I grew up in the 80's as a kid so I liked the 80's vibe with the music and setting. I think anytime a show is going 80's it risks alienating some younger viewers that can't associate. I'm also a sucker for artsy movies so it does check a lot of boxes for me but this is definitely not a film that everyone will like. Not a masterpiece by any means but I enjoyed the film.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:21 PM   #316
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know what I was expecting from Crazy Rich Asians, but it was a pretty formulaic rom-com, unfortunately. They could have used Ken Jeong and Jimmy O. Yang to better effect.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:31 PM   #317
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I don't know what I was expecting from Crazy Rich Asians, but it was a pretty formulaic rom-com, unfortunately. They could have used Ken Jeong and Jimmy O. Yang to better effect.
Yeah. It seemed to me that during the run up to the film's opening, it was comedians like Jimmy O. Yang, Ronnie Chieng, and Awkwafina who were heavily promoting the film. So I expected more crazy from Crazy Rich Asians. But it was just another insubstantial and manipulative rom-com with attractive mannequins.

And the movie follows the long tradition of other Asian films where streets are never crowded, and you can always find a seat at street food stalls.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:28 PM   #318
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

I gave in and finally watched Bright on Netflix.

Great beginning and maybe first 30min. Went downhill from there and was just weird by the end. Way too much use of deus ex machina.

And is it just me or is Will Ferrell always Will Ferrell in every movie staring Will Ferrell? Like I get it, you're Will Ferrell.
Looch City is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:14 AM   #319
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post

And is it just me or is Will Ferrell always Will Ferrell in every movie staring Will Ferrell? Like I get it, you're Will Ferrell.
That was pretty well established like 10-15 years ago
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2018, 08:22 AM   #320
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post

There are just some actors who are cast because in roles exactly because of their persona. Dane Cook, Ben Stiller, Danny McBride, Vince Vaughn, Melissa McCarthy, Chris Pratt all come to mind that have not really shown a lot of range. Sure there is the few one-offs, but generally they play themselves.

The good thing about Will Ferrell is that he's pretty likeable.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote