Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-17-2015, 04:35 PM   #561
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Looked like a suicide mission at that point. I think he was just trying to lead the suburban as far away from McAdams and the boat as possible. He realized that these people would never let him go and he'd become a danger to everyone around him.
I wonder if he would have got away if he hadn't gone back for one last look at his kid. I wonder if Frank would have made it away if he wasn't such a dick to the Mexicans.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:21 PM   #562
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
I wonder if he would have got away if he hadn't gone back for one last look at his kid. I wonder if Frank would have made it away if he wasn't such a dick to the Mexicans.
I'm pretty sure he would have got away as I believe they were waiting for him to make an appearance at the school. I actually believe Ray was somewhat sympathetic as his life was altered forever when his wife was raped and while that's not an excuse to execute the rapist if you are going to commit such a crime it may as well be to a scumbag criminal. The fact that he was set up to murder the wrong guy is unfortunate as was his wife lying to him about the paternity test. It just seemed like he was getting a raw deal from all corners even his job as he was selected to essentially fail on the case. He seemed like a decent man that never recovered from his life being turned upside down.

Frank was a shady man and ultimately he paid the price. I knew in that one scene when the two Mexicans came to the restaurant and he blew them off that it would come back to haunt him.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2015, 09:01 PM   #563
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm pretty sure he would have got away as I believe they were waiting for him to make an appearance at the school. I actually believe Ray was somewhat sympathetic as his life was altered forever when his wife was raped and while that's not an excuse to execute the rapist if you are going to commit such a crime it may as well be to a scumbag criminal. The fact that he was set up to murder the wrong guy is unfortunate as was his wife lying to him about the paternity test. It just seemed like he was getting a raw deal from all corners even his job as he was selected to essentially fail on the case. He seemed like a decent man that never recovered from his life being turned upside down.

Frank was a shady man and ultimately he paid the price. I knew in that one scene when the two Mexicans came to the restaurant and he blew them off that it would come back to haunt him.
I think both Ray and Frank had the same flaw in that they couldn't let things go, and they both ended sacrificing themselves to their egos.

In that last voice message that Ray tries to send to his son, he goes on about how his son is actually the stronger one. When previously he bullied his own son for not "standing up for himself". That was when he realized that sinking to the levels of the criminals makes you a bad person. Although you felt sorry for Ray, he had ultimately become a violent human being who couldn't be around normal people any more. If he really just wanted the quiet family life, he had multiple chances to start over but wasn't really capable of doing that. Instead he kept making the same mistakes over and over: hounding his wife, working for Frank, assaulting his son's bully's dad, etc...
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:39 PM   #564
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I'm the only one who liked season 2 better than season 1.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:41 PM   #565
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I think I'm the only one who liked season 2 better than season 1.
I think you're right. While I understand how and why several in this thread liked Season 2 more than I did, I just have to say that Season 1 was fabulous television. In fact, I think it's right up there for the best season of any television series ever. It was fantastic.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:43 PM   #566
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Season 2 was just fine for me. It certainly didn't have the "je ne sai quoi" of season one but I did love the noire feel about it.

I think with a series like this where they want to tell a story in various locations covering different aspects of detective work, you're going to feel differently about each season.

Rachel McAdams and Collin Farrel stood out for me as positives in this previous season.
Vince Vaughn was good but I fully get why some would not like his work. Even I came across as confused when all I could see was the VV from Old School, and not The Cell.

I do wonder where they go next season. I'm hoping not NYC and more something around Missouri or Florida and maybe cover some of the current issues down there. To me that would make a fantastic season of True Detective.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:56 PM   #567
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or maybe the Pacific NW...or Colorado
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:22 PM   #568
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
I think you're right. While I understand how and why several in this thread liked Season 2 more than I did, I just have to say that Season 1 was fabulous television. In fact, I think it's right up there for the best season of any television series ever. It was fantastic.
Agreed. Additionally, I would say that season 1, episode 4 (Who goes there?) might be the single best hour of anything ever filmed in any format. I was thrilled and exhausted after watching that closing 6 minute continuous shot.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:32 PM   #569
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyfire89 View Post
Agreed. Additionally, I would say that season 1, episode 4 (Who goes there?) might be the single best hour of anything ever filmed in any format. I was thrilled and exhausted after watching that closing 6 minute continuous shot.
Followed up with the take-down of Reggie Ledoux the very next episode.

Season 1 was truly brilliant.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:22 PM   #570
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The obvious major difference between seasons 1 and 2, besides cast, is going with having multiple directors of episodes this year unlike last year when Cary Fukunaga did all 8 episodes. I think that lack of a consistent, unilateral vision from the directors is something that hurt season 2. The cinematography was also not as good, but season 1 was pretty much as good as it gets in that department. Louisiana was as much a part of the story as Woody and Matthew.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:51 PM   #571
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Some great insights into Frank and Ray's characters and downfalls. Thanks guys.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:31 PM   #572
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyfire89 View Post
That scene was hot sex. It was at that moment that capped season 1 being one of my favourite of any show.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:17 PM   #573
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The more I think of Woodrow, the stupider I think this character was.
He goes on some kind of rage ride after banging his gf. Because he is gay and comes across a dead Caspere. Ultimately he gets blackmailed and taken out by a group that consists of some crooked cops who have ties with Caspere AND some guy(s) from his old military group? Like, come on.
And I still don't know wtf that girl that was suing him had to do with the story.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:34 PM   #574
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
And I still don't know wtf that girl that was suing him had to do with the story.
That was what started him down the path of destruction. She's the only reason he was involved in the case.

Like his buddy said, if he was just honest with himself and the world, everyone would have known he was gay and he could have lived openly and happily. When the actress made her accusation, no one would have believed her because she was accusing a gay cop. He likely wouldn't have been suspended. If he wasn't suspended, he wouldn't have gone on his rage ride along the PCH, and he wouldn't have found the body.

Even with him living the lie, without her accusation, he wouldn't have been suspended and he wouldn't have been out for his ride that night, so he wouldn't have been tied up in the whole mess.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:40 PM   #575
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, what I mean was, what are the chances that he comes across the body of a a guy, when he's out on a rage ride, that is intertwined with the corruption of vinci, that is in cahoots with his partner AND his old army buddy?
And, was that his army buddies place he woke up at? Or some random?
Old 08-24-2015, 07:32 AM   #576
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
No, what I mean was, what are the chances that he comes across the body of a a guy, when he's out on a rage ride, that is intertwined with the corruption of vinci, that is in cahoots with his partner AND his old army buddy?
And, was that his army buddies place he woke up at? Or some random?
Absolutely that was way too convenient but I think you are making that out to be a bigger deal than it is as a lot of shows and movies have chance moments happen that in reality are needle in a haystack.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:37 AM   #577
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Generally, season 2 was a letdown after such a powerful first season, but this is a bit surprising:

Quote:
Back in November, HBO signed a new deal with Pizzolatto. Under this new contract, which lasts until 2018, the cable network would consider a handful of projects from the writer, including another season of True Detective. At the time, it was said the show’s return wasn’t a sure thing. According to The Hollywood Reporter, a third season currently appears even less likely.

The outlet posted a profile piece on HBO’s new head of programming, Casey Bloys, and in the feature, it’s briefly mentioned that the future of True Detective is in his hands. THR’s sources at the cable network suggested Bloys and Pizzollatto will possibly pursue a new project instead of another season of the crime series.

Pizzollatto was only interested in working on the show for three years. While promoting True Detective season two, he said he’d prefer to one day work on a more traditional television series.
http://www.slashfilm.com/true-detective-season-three/

I guess the bright spot is that we will see Pizzollatto's storytelling in a new, unrushed vehicle.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 02:56 PM   #578
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wonder how many San Francisco ########### will be in this season

Quote:
True Detective season three is inching closer to reality.

Series creator Nic Pizzolatto is working on a third season of the HBO anthology series with Deadwood creator David Milch, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

HBO would not confirm the news.

The duo are said to be in the early stages of writing a possible third season, which has not yet received a series order.

The news of a potential third season comes nearly two years after the polarizing second season of the drama, which starred Colin Farrell, Vince Vaughn and Rachel McAdams. The first season of True Detective drew wide acclaim for Pizzolatto, director Cary Fukunaga and stars Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...d-milch-989083
Old 03-27-2017, 03:08 PM   #579
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Wonder how many San Francisco ########### will be in this season

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...d-milch-989083
Well, not everything about the second season was bad. Count me in as still interested.
Itse is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 08:24 PM   #580
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Milch should be working on the Deadwood follow-up. Anything that distracts from that is a waste.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post: