Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2017, 01:49 PM   #141
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

With this Freeze Out going on in YYC and a New Years long weekend, I thought it would be a great time to Bump this thread.

Anyone have any good ones you have seen lately to recommend?
14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:42 AM   #142
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Netflix has really been hitting it out of the park this year with Documentaries, check out the latest Wormwood on the CIAs LSD experiment and the apparent suicide of one of the people in the group.

Last edited by Thor; 12-31-2017 at 01:44 AM.
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Thor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2018, 10:21 PM   #143
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm about three hours into Wormwood (the first four parts). Looking forward to seeing the rest of it. Errol Morris is a genius.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to snootchiebootchies For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2018, 06:44 PM   #144
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I love music docs. There's a new one about XTC airing on the 11th. It's on the Movie Network in Canada.

The BBC makes great documentaries about artists like Kate Bush and Yazoo.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:56 PM   #145
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am weirdly infatuated by the dancing of Kate Bush. It’s hypnotic.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:05 PM   #146
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Netflix: Here is "Road" narrated by Liam Neeson.

The story of Motorbike Road Racing in Ireland and Isle of Man where they will hit speeds of 320km/hr on country roads with no run off areas where the "furniture" is stone walls and serious injury and death are no strangers.

The story of two Dunlop brothers and their Uncle and Father.

A must for any motorbike enthusiast and a real life human drama that will bring tears to your eyes at the end.

Personal shoutout ... My Sis is in it.

Last edited by Bagor; 01-06-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:57 AM   #147
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:17 AM   #148
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

In light of some of the discussion in the Fluoride thread about the Flat-Earth documentary "Behind the Curve" on Netlfix, I highly recommend it.

Other than the insanity of the lunatics who believe the earth is flat and the impressive mental gymnastics required to hold that belief, I thought it was well done.

It really outlines well their theories and the lengths they'll go to prove them and ignore all evidence that exists outside of what they want to see.

It also touches on mainstream scientist's unwillingness to engage with these groups and disprove their beliefs which has in turn solidified these people into a unified lunatic fringe, and some of these people are unhinged and some are in it because in this movement they've managed to transform themselves into the King of the Crazy People.

That being said, I dont feel it did enough to really hammer home the fact that mainstream science is at a gross disadvantage in this because they can engage these groups rationally and disprove their very tenuous theories, but as with most conspiracy groups they just find another work-around to arrive at their desired conclusion.

So mainstream scientists, as it were, are damned if they do and damned if they dont.

Brilliant stuff though. I had to pause it several times because I missed bits while I was busy laughing.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2019, 09:28 AM   #149
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I actually had this on my watch list for this weekend, thanks for letting me know that its worth it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:43 AM   #150
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
In light of some of the discussion in the Fluoride thread about the Flat-Earth documentary "Behind the Curve" on Netlfix, I highly recommend it.

Other than the insanity of the lunatics who believe the earth is flat and the impressive mental gymnastics required to hold that belief, I thought it was well done.

It really outlines well their theories and the lengths they'll go to prove them and ignore all evidence that exists outside of what they want to see.

It also touches on mainstream scientist's unwillingness to engage with these groups and disprove their beliefs which has in turn solidified these people into a unified lunatic fringe, and some of these people are unhinged and some are in it because in this movement they've managed to transform themselves into the King of the Crazy People.

That being said, I dont feel it did enough to really hammer home the fact that mainstream science is at a gross disadvantage in this because they can engage these groups rationally and disprove their very tenuous theories, but as with most conspiracy groups they just find another work-around to arrive at their desired conclusion.

So mainstream scientists, as it were, are damned if they do and damned if they dont.

Brilliant stuff though. I had to pause it several times because I missed bits while I was busy laughing.
I have a lot of questions after watching this. I also agree that this was well done and it wasn't just piling on and saying "can you believe how dumb these people are?!" or anything like that. I did like that they at least put out both sides of the "debate". I don't know if I could point to a particular favorite moment, because there are a number of hilarious parts. I also don't want to spoil this for people who have yet to see it. I did think that it was hilarious that people think that Patricia is in the CIA because the last three letters of her name are CIA though!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:14 PM   #151
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Trailer for Apollo 11 is out. Looks really good.
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:44 PM   #152
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anyone hasn't seen "Free Solo" yet, go see it. It just won the oscar for best documentary and for good reason. The climbing the guy does is insane and it feels like you're watching one of those crazy action movies like Cliffhanger or Vertical Limit, except then you realize he's actually doing it in real life, and if he falls he dies. Even my wife, who is not in to extreme sports at all, was on the edge of her seat the whole time.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Redliner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2019, 08:48 AM   #153
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

I watched a documentary on Quincy Jones on Netflix and then watched it again with the wife. It was so good, what a brilliant man and it amazes me just how gifted he is.
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to socalwingfan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 12:09 PM   #154
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

I kind of went down the rabbit hole on Theranos and Elizabeth Holmes. She was the Silicon Valley entrepreneur who managed to create a multi-billion dollar health technology company. It centered around alleged technology that would give people the ability to run basically all blood tests at home with only a tiny amount of blood. But the technology never actually existed, and she's (along with her business partner Ramesh Balwani) now been indicted by a grand jury for wire-fraud. From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Prosecutors allege that Holmes and Balwani engaged in two criminal schemes, one to defraud investors, the other to defraud doctors and patients. After the indictment was issued, Holmes stepped down as CEO of Theranos but remained chairperson of the board.
HBO did a documentary about this (it premiered yesterday), and I'll be watching it as soon as I've caught up on a couple other ones. It's so fascinating how she was able to pull this off and manipulate people all the way up to the President (Obama). The lists of Theranos' top end investors is staggering.

Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:56 PM   #155
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Just came here to post about this. It was a fascinating watch.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:29 PM   #156
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

watching out for blood right now.

it seems like allot of fluff to me, within a couple minutes they tell you shes a con. at this moment there is a naturopathic doctor as their "credible" medical expert complaining about how she is wasting peoples time.

Probably the most shocking thing is how she conned the state of arizona and walgreens to get this product to market.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:32 PM   #157
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Man that no blinking thing of her's creeped me out when I watched the documentary.

I think the description of her as a zealot is pretty accurate.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:39 PM   #158
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
watching out for blood right now.

it seems like allot of fluff to me, within a couple minutes they tell you shes a con. at this moment there is a naturopathic doctor as their "credible" medical expert complaining about how she is wasting peoples time.

Probably the most shocking thing is how she conned the state of arizona and walgreens to get this product to market.
I feel like you missed the point of the documentary. Everyone knows she’s a con, it isn’t an expose, she was outed a long time ago. It’s an examination of how she did it.

The part you find shocking is the entire point, except your list is missing Federal regulators, investors, scientists, engineers, chemists, biochemists, media, public, patients etc.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:22 AM   #159
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I feel like you missed the point of the documentary. Everyone knows she’s a con, it isn’t an expose, she was outed a long time ago. It’s an examination of how she did it.

The part you find shocking is the entire point, except your list is missing Federal regulators, investors, scientists, engineers, chemists, biochemists, media, public, patients etc.
Ya, I don't know, I've been aware of the story for a while, and it is pretty shocking, but the documentary fell flat.

I think it would have done allot more for me if they spent more time on the people who were swindled by her, and unrolled the scam as an escalation slowly over time.

The Fyre Doc was fundamentally a similar story on a smaller scale and did allot more for me. Founder makes an impossible claim, is constitutionally incapable of walking it back, that uses mix of charisma, intimidation, and self delusion to dig the hole deeper than should have been possible, gets caught and doubles, then triples, then quadruples down with chips they don't have, oblivious to the harm they are causing others.

I also think the real scandal is that she didn't fool anyone with real expertise yet still pushed this through enough regulations to do some real damage.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:51 PM   #160
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd love to see this, about the Red Wings 5 Russian players (Larionov, Konstantinov, Fetisov, Fedorov, Kozlov)

https://therussianfive.com/story/

Mentioned by Friedman in 31 Thoughts. Opens only in the USA but will hopefully make it up here at some point.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote