Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Leagues and Games > Calgarypuck Hockey League
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2020, 08:57 AM   #1
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The Russian kid and some rule tweaks

OK here is how we are going to handle this tricky situation.
- The Russian kid taken by CBJ in the NHL will be made available in the supplemental draft.
- Simmer will be given a compensatory 2nd round pick at the end of the 2021 draft. This pick is not a tradeable pick until the CPHL draft order is finalized. the pick can cannot be traded to meet a condition.

Moving forward:

- If a NHL team signs a college or European free agent, that is not property of a CPHL club, that player goes up for bidding using standard free agency rules and processes. The definition of this is an official announcement by the NHL club, or official report from media such as TSN that the player has been signed.
- If a NHL team drafts an overager, that was not drafted in the CPHL draft or not previously signed by a CPHL team, that player will be made available in the supplemental draft. In advance of the NHL draft, overagers can be signed as they can be now. This only applies to unsigned ones that then get drafted in the NHL.

Questions?

The supplemental draft can start. Canes are on the clock.

Last edited by Jiri Hrdina; 10-09-2020 at 09:24 AM.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2020, 09:15 AM   #2
simmer2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jiri, we were talking about the college or European Free agent thing.

A GM does the work to find someone who is unsigned in the CPHL, but now everyone gets access to the same player. It takes any sort of reward for effort away from it.

As an example, I signed number of guys this off-season and they had been signed by an NHL team for a while and I signed them.

Now, in this circumstance, other folks get the chance to get the guy off of my work.

Not sure I follow the logic, if really, all the CPHL is trying to do is avoid 'first to keyboard', but still incent people putting work into their prospects.
simmer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:17 AM   #3
simmer2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, want to make sure I understand the rationale for not being able to trade the pick? Is this more of trying to keep track of the pick than anything? As I imagine that gets a bit ugly.

If that's the case, can it be traded closer to the draft when there is a sticky thread for the order of the picks?
Old 10-09-2020, 09:24 AM   #4
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the rule, we are comfortable to try it out this way and if it doesn't work we will adjust. Keep in mind this ONLY applies to euro and college free agents, which typically get a lot of press when those signings happen. And again, you can sign these guys in advance when there starts to be buzz about them potentially having NHL interest. That work is still rewarded.

Not being able to trade the pick: yes largely b/c it is hard to track, and we saw the nightmare of that this season. Once the order is established I think it would be OK. I would say though it shouldn't be traded to meet conditions (of which you have a couple) as those conditions were made with an understanding of round 2 being it's normal length. Otherwise i'm fine with that and will change the above to reflect.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:31 AM   #5
simmer2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
On the rule, we are comfortable to try it out this way and if it doesn't work we will adjust. Keep in mind this ONLY applies to euro and college free agents, which typically get a lot of press when those signings happen. And again, you can sign these guys in advance when there starts to be buzz about them potentially having NHL interest. That work is still rewarded.

Not being able to trade the pick: yes largely b/c it is hard to track, and we saw the nightmare of that this season. Once the order is established I think it would be OK. I would say though it shouldn't be traded to meet conditions (of which you have a couple) as those conditions were made with an understanding of round 2 being it's normal length. Otherwise i'm fine with that and will change the above to reflect.
I'm alright with that, as long as the commishes are open to adjusting if need be. I don't think rewards the right behaviour but am willing to try it.

RE the pick, that makes sense re meeting conditions. But thanks for making the tweak, I'll remember that anyways.

Last edited by simmer2; 10-09-2020 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:47 AM   #6
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Yea I am with Curtis on this. It seems like spending the time/effort in trying to find a hidden gem isn't really worth it anymore.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:50 AM   #7
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
Yea I am with Curtis on this. It seems like spending the time/effort in trying to find a hidden gem isn't really worth it anymore.
To clarify
- College free agents can be signed up to the moment it is officially announced by an NHL club
- Same with Euros
- Other guys that are in the AHL, or already property of NHL teams can also be signed.

I think this covers a lot of the signings that actually happen in the CPHL.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2020, 09:54 AM   #8
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

This seems to be a pre-draft vs. post-draft issue.

Would it make sense to simply put a moratorium on signing overage or unsigned players from the period between the awarding of the Stanley Cup and the end of the UFA period? That would mean that GMs could still look for that lost player that fell through the cracks, but could not allow NHL GMs to do that work for them though the real draft.

You could change the timing instead of anything to do with the players, and that would make it much less work for moderation.

The compensatory pick for this particular incident should still apply, due to being the inciting incident.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:55 AM   #9
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
To clarify
- College free agents can be signed up to the moment it is officially announced by an NHL club
- Same with Euros
- Other guys that are in the AHL, or already property of NHL teams can also be signed.

So overagers in the CHL are out of bounds from here on?
Old 10-09-2020, 09:58 AM   #10
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
So overagers in the CHL are out of bounds from here on?
Overagers can still be signed up until the NHL draft.
Any overager drafted in the NHL draft that isn't already property of a CPHL club goes in the supplemental.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:23 AM   #11
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I’m reading this correctly, I think we are misunderstanding what is trying to be changed

Basically everything is the same... except the league is trying to stop the rush to computer signing where 5 claims come in at 2 minutes because he just signed with a nhl team. A player that no team put research in other then news breaking 1 minute before that

It’s pretty much saying that if a player gets 5 claims in 5 minutes all of a sudden that player is going to a bidding process. Those players were opened to be signed before and after but when the rush to the computer happens and that player gets 5 offers out of no where then he’s going to sign with the highest bidder

If I’m reading it right that’s really the only thing trying to be changed, sorry if I confused the issue
Old 10-09-2020, 10:27 AM   #12
simmer2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
To clarify
- Same with Euros

As we had discussed Jiri, I signed the following guys after they had signed with an NHL club. Most were at least 2 weeks after signing:

- Logan O'Connor (Tweener NHL'er. Has been signed for a while)
- Brandon Biro (NCAA)
- Matej Chalupa (Euro)
- Bryce Kindopp (Undrafted. CHL)
- Fredrik Handemark (Euro)
- Tim Berni (Euro. Was 6th round pick.)
- Connor Corcoran (CHL. Was 5th round pick.)
- Kristian Rubins (Euro)
- Tyler Tucker (CHL. Was 7th round pick.)
- Victor Brattstrom (Euro. Was 6th round pick.)

Some of these guys will be taken care of via the Supplemental Draft, like the late picks.

But the undrafted guys and the Euro guys...I do the work to find them and now I have to compete with others only because I've brought it up. While I'm willing to try the proposed system, it seems to inversely punish the people putting the work into the game and helps those that don't.

I'd put out there the idea of if more than 1 GM submits a bid within 24 hours, then it could go to Free Agency. But otherwise, the team that did the work gets him without being forced to go to auction.

Not trying to cause a stink, just commenting around rules and ensuring they support the right behaviours is all.

Last edited by simmer2; 10-09-2020 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:52 AM   #13
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let me give it some thought. As it also occurs to me that I don't want to have to be monitoring all the NHL signings and posting them .
Old 10-09-2020, 11:00 AM   #14
simmer2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna Sniper View Post
If I’m reading this correctly, I think we are misunderstanding what is trying to be changed

Basically everything is the same... except the league is trying to stop the rush to computer signing where 5 claims come in at 2 minutes because he just signed with a nhl team. A player that no team put research in other then news breaking 1 minute before that

It’s pretty much saying that if a player gets 5 claims in 5 minutes all of a sudden that player is going to a bidding process. Those players were opened to be signed before and after but when the rush to the computer happens and that player gets 5 offers out of no where then he’s going to sign with the highest bidder

If I’m reading it right that’s really the only thing trying to be changed, sorry if I confused the issue
See bolded...I think that's what the goal is. How that's achieved is up in the air...hence the proposal of literally if the league gets more than 1 bid in 24hrs, then it goes to a bidding process. Which makes sense.