Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2019, 10:13 PM   #641
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

You shouldn’t be able to see your breath at a game in July!

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:19 PM   #642
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Take the win and move on and yeah...F this weather
Old 07-18-2019, 10:28 PM   #643
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

I feel as though there have been a lot of ugly wins by the Stamps over the last few years,not just this one. They just know how to get things done when it matters.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
calf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:40 PM   #644
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Yeah....was at this one and man a decent night got really cool by games end.

Those that thought Arbuckle would give Bo a run for starter can cool those jets.

He is a long ways away from that. Bad decisions and holds the ball far far too long at times. He will get better but he is not starting material (long term) at this point.

Corey Greenwood, Nate Holley, Brandon Smith and Tre Roberson are just unreal on D. All over the place and no one more than Greenwood.

OLine was really lethargic to start but got better. Still missing Erdos though...he will really help in the run game.

Wasnt aware how quick Brescanin is....he is a really good receiver.

This team is about where I thought they would be and maybe even a little better. Tread water for the next 5 or 6 weeks and see if they can get everything going as the playoffs get close. Still think they can get to 10 wins...and maybe even a crossover, which wouldnt be that bad of an idea, though its always better to play at home.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:32 PM   #645
Slanter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Well, get the crossover, win two games, and you're playing at home.

Only problem with that plan is I don't see Calgary finishing fourth in the West right now. BC would really need to gel quick to make me think we'll do worse than third.
Slanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:54 AM   #646
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I don't think the crossover will be an option seeing how bad the Lions and Riders are which is too bad because I think they could probably get to the Grey Cup fairly easily through the East if Mitchell and some other bodies are back. Stamps have probably won the season series with the Riders (unless the Riders lay a beatdown on the Stamps in McMahon) and have a leg up on the Lions H2H so those teams will probably be fighting each other for the crossover.

Unfortunate for the Stamps to have only one home game in July and get weather like that. Offense was not good again and unlike last week you can point to poor QB play being a factor. That interception in the end zone was as big a rookie mistake as you can make as the play unfolded I was fixed watching the underneath receiver who was wide open for an easy TD thinking that was the first read only to see the ball be thrown over him into the waiting hands of the Argos DB. I can only assume that he decided before the snap he was going there and I don't think that's what a QB is supposed to do.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:21 AM   #647
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stamps have been in every game they've played this season which is quite remarkable given the injuries combined with the holes that needed to be filled with all the departures especially on defense. The old CFL saying is that the season doesn't start until Labour Day and we should have a pretty good read on this team after the home-and-home series against the Eskies.
dash_pinched is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 02:11 PM   #648
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Arbuckle looked terri-bad last night. That might actually be the worst game I've seen a stamps QB play since Feterik. Hopefully he cleans it up but goddamn, add me to the list of people that have apparently been taking Bo for granted. People on this board were ready to give up on Buckley after he had one bad start but it wasn't as bad as that, it was also the last game of the season in freezing cold weather where none of the other starters cared. Not an important July game with miles better weather.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:40 PM   #649
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Arbuckle looked terri-bad last night. That might actually be the worst game I've seen a stamps QB play since Feterik. Hopefully he cleans it up but goddamn, add me to the list of people that have apparently been taking Bo for granted. People on this board were ready to give up on Buckley after he had one bad start but it wasn't as bad as that, it was also the last game of the season in freezing cold weather where none of the other starters cared. Not an important July game with miles better weather.
I’m sorry, Arbuckle was bad last night but Buckley isn’t even in the same league. Buckley had no business being on a CFL field other than his birth certificate. The Stamps would not have a single win this year if Buckley was backup over Arbuckle still.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 07-19-2019 at 03:43 PM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:55 PM   #650
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

Its going to happen to inexperienced QB's more often and not.

Arbuckle came into his first start and there wasn't much film on him, tough for a defense to prepare, plus it was the riders

In his next game, he did a pretty decent job but was let down by his receivers.

After watching two games worth of film the Argo's had a lot of prep material. But at the end of the day he won the game. One interception came basically from what I would call a really bad throw into the endzone. The other interception was a poor recognition of the over under coverage.

He's learn, its part of the process.

With that prep work comes faster decision making. but at the same time, they're also running him using the Bo Levi playbook and Bo takes advantage of his experience as a decision maker.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:07 PM   #651
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah what CC said. Lots of young qbs come, do well, then defenses get to prepare a little and they aren't the same.

That said I think Arbuckle is someone Calgary should carefully consider as a future starter. BLM is injury prone and not as sharp as he was before.

Last edited by White Out 403; 07-19-2019 at 05:25 PM. Reason: \
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:41 PM   #652
fireguyfire
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Yeah; he’s not as good of MOP as he used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fireguyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:06 PM   #653
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguyfire View Post
Yeah; he’s not as good of MOP as he used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I mean, yeah.

The number of QB's I'd take ahead of BLM is still only 2... it's not like he's an average or even "good" QB. He's still really good and can win games himself.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:09 PM   #654
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I wish I could find the quote from the movie draft day, which wasn't a great movie. But Dennis Leary as a coach had a great line about rookie QB's and how dumb and scared they are. The good ones, get past that and go on to run offenses, but a lot of them don't whether its a question of courage, willingness to fail first, brain power, whatever.

Those first few starts, man they're crucial, not during the start, but what happens for the week after those starts.

I've developed a few QB's coaching and when I get that rookie kid its the same thing. No matter what the system, how simple or complex it is, it all looks like 1000 miles an hour for the first couple of weeks, then for the good ones it slows down and creates a tempo of its own.

This week is crucial in terms of what Nick does with the information that he got on Thursday night.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:00 PM   #655
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I wish I could find the quote from the movie draft day, which wasn't a great movie. But Dennis Leary as a coach had a great line about rookie QB's and how dumb and scared they are. The good ones, get past that and go on to run offenses, but a lot of them don't whether its a question of courage, willingness to fail first, brain power, whatever.

Those first few starts, man they're crucial, not during the start, but what happens for the week after those starts.

I've developed a few QB's coaching and when I get that rookie kid its the same thing. No matter what the system, how simple or complex it is, it all looks like 1000 miles an hour for the first couple of weeks, then for the good ones it slows down and creates a tempo of its own.

This week is crucial in terms of what Nick does with the information that he got on Thursday night.
They had one day of practice to prepare for this game so safe to say they were not going to change a lot from what they did against the Ti-Cats. Argos looked to have done some good film study on that game and it showed. It's not like the offensive line has stepped up to help him as the pass blocking has been terrible. Tough situation for a rookie QB with the short week and bad OL play but most importantly he managed to guide the team to a win.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:22 PM   #656
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's hard not to get excited as a Bomber fan right now.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:37 PM   #657
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I’m sorry, Arbuckle was bad last night but Buckley isn’t even in the same league. Buckley had no business being on a CFL field other than his birth certificate. The Stamps would not have a single win this year if Buckley was backup over Arbuckle still.
Not sure what you could be basing that on. Buckley threw a better ball and could actually run. There's nothing Arbuckle does better the guy struggled to even compete short passes last night. Ultimately we'll never know because Buckley was never gifted a start in warm weather with an engaged team. Hopefully arbuxkle gets better throughout the season because he was trash.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:40 PM   #658
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

John Crockett of the REDBLACKS just did a Willie Beaman from 'Any Given Sunday'...
dash_pinched is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 12:49 AM   #659
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Not sure what you could be basing that on. Buckley threw a better ball and could actually run. There's nothing Arbuckle does better the guy struggled to even compete short passes last night. Ultimately we'll never know because Buckley was never gifted a start in warm weather with an engaged team. Hopefully arbuxkle gets better throughout the season because he was trash.

He had an off game but damn.I'm not surprised he got a little gun shy with the start the O-line had. I guess we've been pretty spoiled for a while now. Any issues he had in the Hamilton game was on the receivers, particularly Eric "wet noodle" Rogers.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:30 AM   #660
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
It's hard not to get excited as a Bomber fan right now.
Is there no forum where you can go talk about Winnipeg? Clearly that would be more enjoyable when other people care too.. right?

Just not sure why you have picked a Calgary forum to talk about your Winnipeg team. Not enough fans to start your own forum?

I would even maybe understand if you were an Edmonton or Saskatchewan fan.. because they are the Stamps rivals and somewhat relevant. However, this is like having a random Dallas Stars fan show up on the main forum and start talking about how excited they are about the Stars.

Last edited by keenan87; 07-20-2019 at 06:35 AM.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote