Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2020, 04:05 PM   #81
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I just can't get over the cheesy over-the-top dialog in Japanese games. And what's with all the gasps and "ohhh"s from the female characters?
Playing BOTW and man, GREAT game but the dialogue at times (actually, all the time) is just so grating. It's just way too much.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:53 AM   #82
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

I am playing Final Fantasy 7 in preparation for playing Final Fantasy 7 so I can really experience the difference between Final Fantasy 7 and Final Fantasy 7.

I hope you can actually get Aeris back this time. I hate that I lose my only built in support character less than a third into the game.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:40 PM   #83
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just use Cait Sith or Vincent in that role. I usually use Vincent because Cait Sith's limit break sucks and he's back row anyway.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 02:26 PM   #84
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Just use Cait Sith or Vincent in that role. I usually use Vincent because Cait Sith's limit break sucks and he's back row anyway.

I WANT GREAT GOSPEL!

You get to use it for like two hours. It's horse hockey!

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 02-17-2020, 05:18 PM   #85
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of course you do, because it's intentionally overpowered. Quit yer whining, FF7 is easy enough as it is.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 02-17-2020, 05:37 PM   #86
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Of course you do, because it's intentionally overpowered. Quit yer whining, FF7 is easy enough as it is.

I put the effort in to get the toys and I want to play with the toys!

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 02-17-2020, 08:32 PM   #87
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would the original FF7 still hold up today for someone who hasn't played it? I look at the graphics and I'm not sure if I can look past them and still enjoy the game.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:19 PM   #88
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Would the original FF7 still hold up today for someone who hasn't played it? I look at the graphics and I'm not sure if I can look past them and still enjoy the game.

The graphics have a very nostalgic feel for me.

Like all 90s JRPGs the game play is very static, with not much changing fight to fight. But as an example of a JRPG, it is quite good with some of the best cut scenes of any 90s game and one of the best sound tracks in the final fantasy line.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2020, 10:05 PM   #89
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, the graphics aren't all that bad. It's not like FF6 where it's just motionless 2d sprites, there are actually animations. I think the main thing that has really stood the test of time is the Materia system - it's not excessively complex but the depth that's available in finding effective combinations is really satisfying.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:26 PM   #90
BlAcKNoVa
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Can always try modding it. https://captrobau.blogspot.com/2019/...-released.html
BlAcKNoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:35 AM   #91
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
The graphics are easily the worst in the entire series.

IMNSHO, you probably have to have a level of nostalgia to truly enjoy the original today. I'd just wait for the remake were I in your position. Or, wait for a sale on the original.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 09:56 AM   #92
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah original FF7 is up there with Goldeneye in the “you kinda had to be there” category.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:14 AM   #93
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
With the ReMako mod (PC version), the prerendered backdrops look gorgeous in HD. There's also a character model mod that updates that part of the game. So while it won't look like a game from 2020, it won't look like one from 1997 either.

The gameplay is still solid. It has random encounters but they're sparse enough that it doesn't detract from gameplay (unlike, for instance, Xenogears or Skies of Arcadia which are unplayable these days). The sidequests are still fun and harken back to a day before you had quest lists to tell you to go kill ten of x monster or fetch five of y flower. Instead they're fun side-adventures. There isn't much by way of puzzles or plot-altering decisions but it's got a solid pacing overall (although it doesn't hold up to the Gold Standard of the genre that is Chrono Trigger)

The story is still awesome, especially if you've never stumbled across the various plot twists. It's worth playing for that alone. The characters themselves are a bit underdeveloped but it's not a big deal.

Overall would you be able to play it today and say "that was the best game ever!!!" like many did back in 1997? Probably not. But I but you can play it today and say "I can see why others thought it was the best game ever back then!". It's still an enjoyable and memorable adventure with some interesting worldbuilding. I'm looking forward to the remake but I'd still lean towards recommending the original until I'm confident the remake didn't change good parts about the original.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 02-18-2020 at 01:11 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 12:13 PM   #94
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm on my first ever play through. While the graphics aren't great, they aren't my main issue. Sometimes moving where you want is awkward. Sometimes getting in just the right location to enter a door or open a chest, or line up with a ladder sucks. Entering and accidentally leaving an area also happens occasionally. My biggest peeve is not always knowing who you are using a spell on. The arrow is not accurate at all, and the popup for magic obscures the names so you can't see who has low life. More than once I've phoenix downed the living.

It's also a lot more linear than I expected. On the plus side, playing on the Switch with 3x speed is a godsend to rip through long summons and move quickly. You can also disable random encounters if you are in a rush to get somewhere. It's kinda cheating(ok, really cheating) but is nice on occasion.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 01:26 PM   #95
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

It's also a lot more linear than I expected. On the plus side, playing on the Switch with 3x speed is a godsend to rip through long summons and move quickly. You can also disable random encounters if you are in a rush to get somewhere. It's kinda cheating(ok, really cheating) but is nice on occasion.

As someone who has a strange obsession with beating his most beloved games on each new system they appear on, I love the x3 and no encounters.

Power Level at Junon Disc 1. Turn off encounters till I need em. X3 my way through.

Finish Leveling at north cave. Kill optional bosses. Win game.

All without Great Gospel, which is horse hockey!

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 02-18-2020, 02:05 PM   #96
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm at level 28, is it a good time to go to Junon and level up? What level should I aim for?
Old 02-18-2020, 02:57 PM   #97
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
With the ReMako mod (PC version), the prerendered backdrops look gorgeous in HD. There's also a character model mod that updates that part of the game. So while it won't look like a game from 2020, it won't look like one from 1997 either.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that if you do elect to play the PC version, it's crucial to make sure you get the music fix mod installed. The music is one of the single most memorable aspects of the original PSX game.

Quote:
It's also a lot more linear than I expected.
It's a pretty linear game with some sidequests. Personally I prefer a more focused narrative to mindless wandering as I get bored of the latter, but it feels that over the last decade linearity has been given a negative connotation.

Quote:
I'm at level 28, is it a good time to go to Junon and level up? What level should I aim for?
I don't remember these exact details too well but I will say to focus on your materia levelling. Materia is a fun system and it'd be a waste to ignore it.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 02-18-2020 at 03:00 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 03:02 PM   #98
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks, ya Iv'e been trying to make sure my active characters have full materia loads, but it's a bit of a pain. Do you swap characters often, or just pick 3(err, 2) and max them, and ignore the rest?
Old 02-18-2020, 04:22 PM   #99
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
But as an example of a JRPG, it is quite good with some of the best cut scenes of any 90s game and one of the best sound tracks in the final fantasy line.
Agreed that the cutscenes are great, but I struggle to say it's the best soundtrack of the FF line. I would argue FFVI is a stronger and more complete soundtrack. Late SNES RPG titles all had fantastic soundtracks (think FFVI, Chrono Trigger, Tales of Phantasia, Terranigma) because the composers had mastered the sound chip at that point. The PS1 sound chip was a huge jump and also had MIDI capabilities, but he wasn't able to really use it well until FFIX. Obviously there's really memorable tracks in FFVII (just like FFIV has memorable tracks despite the quality), but I can't really suggest it's the best.

Quote:
Honestly, the graphics aren't all that bad. It's not like FF6 where it's just motionless 2d sprites, there are actually animations.
The low polygon count and lack of textures on 3D models really makes the game age extremely poorly, in my opinion. At least in FFVI, the enemy sprites were extremely detailed so it's not like there was nothing to look at. Those graphics age much more gracefully as well. Static sprites were a pretty common thing at that time, anyway.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:35 PM   #100
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

VI has absolutely the best sound track in the entire series. IV is close. VII is good, but not top tier.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post: