Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-24-2019, 12:44 PM   #581
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Aaron Rogers...great QB...terrible beer chugger.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=26810961
Old 05-24-2019, 01:00 PM   #582
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Veteran cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones, who made as much news off the field as on it during his 12-year NFL career, announced his retirement on social media.

Jones posted a video on his Instagram story, which has expired; it said "it's official that I'm done with the NFL," according to multiple reports. Now his Instagram account includes a photo of a car and a message from Jones thanking a dealership for his "retirement gift," as well as congratulations from followers on his career.
I gotta say, I did not see Pacman Jones having a 12 year NFL career nine years ago.

Adieu.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 09:21 AM   #583
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Absolute legend.

Old 05-27-2019, 09:43 AM   #584
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bart Starr:

https://theathletic.com/995799/2019/...rce=dailyemail
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:18 AM   #585
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Of course they did.

Quote:
The Oakland Raiders have signed offensive lineman Richie Incognito, according to his agent Ken Sarnoff in a Tuesday morning Tweet.

The Raiders, who have an open OTA practice and media availability later Tuesday, had yet to confirm the signing.

Incognito has not played in the NFL since 2017, when he announced he was retiring from the league. He said earlier this year that he was looking to return to football.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:35 AM   #586
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nick Foles' wife had a miscarriage at 15 weeks and had to deliver the baby. Brutal.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/...011911970.html
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:24 PM   #587
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Of course they did.
According to PFF he was the 17th ranked guard in 2017 and they signed him for one year at league minimum. Very little downside to this signing as he can be cut easily.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:23 PM   #588
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

I believe this just a sign of things to come this season

Quote:
The Green Bay Packers have their first major injury of the offseason program: coach Matt LaFleur.

The first-year head coach, who has shown a hands-on approach in practice, tore his Achilles tendon, according to a source.

A source confirmed that LaFleur was injured on the basketball court inside the Packers' headquarters at Lambeau Field, as NFL.com first reported.

LaFleur, 39, will have surgery on Sunday. A source said team physician Dr. Pat McKenzie advised LaFleur to have the tear repaired as soon as possible.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:49 PM   #589
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I believe this just a sign of things to come this season
Doug Pederson had something similar happen last year and ended up needing surgery for it this past March. I guess based on the Eagles' own injury problems last year, it's definitely not a great omen.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:38 AM   #590
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

and some people still wonder why teams are reluctant to throw big money at running backs.

Quote:
The health of Los Angeles Rams running back Todd Gurley has been a question this offseason as the All-Pro continues to work his way back from a bothersome knee injury that plagued him during the playoffs.

It seems that the days of Gurley carrying the bulk of the load in the Rams' running game are coming to an end.

According to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, it is understood that Gurley won't be the team's "bell cow" back and the Rams intend to spread the ball around in order to preserve Gurley's knees.
https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/06/04/lo...njury-concerns
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:51 AM   #591
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some are worth every penny. Elliott is the Cowboys best player by far as when he doesn't play they don't win and their offense is night and day better with him than without him as Prescott wasn't even averaging over 200 yards passing per game when he was suspended a few years back.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:24 PM   #592
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

So Peter Kings Monday columns are just unreal through the year. Im not sure there is a better writer about the game...maybe ever.

He is on vacation right now though, so he has guest writers.

this week its Fred Gaudelli, the executive producer of NBC’s Sunday Night Football telecast.

If you have ANY interest on how production of a game/event/whatever happens, this is a must read.

Fascinating details about how much work goes into a 4 hour show. There are tons of factoids and trivia kind of stuff as well.

When I read this though? I was stunned.

Quote:
We have a team of 175 in front of and mostly behind the cameras that puts on the Sunday games
175 folks...for 1 night...a week.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ight-football/
Old 06-06-2019, 11:24 PM   #593
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eagles re-sign Wentz to 4-yeae deal worth $128M, with $100M guaranteed. Big gamble but it's probably going to look like a discount if he plays up to his 2017 form this year and after the Goff and Mahomes and Goff contracts are signed. Rams are probably kicking themselves that they didn't get a deal for Goff done sooner.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:09 AM   #594
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Eagles re-sign Wentz to 4-yeae deal worth $128M, with $100M guaranteed. Big gamble but it's probably going to look like a discount if he plays up to his 2017 form this year and after the Goff and Mahomes and Goff contracts are signed. Rams are probably kicking themselves that they didn't get a deal for Goff done sooner.
They were saying on Sirius NFL this morning that the Rams aren't in any hurry to get Goff signed long term as they feel their offense is plug and play and will be productive with any quality journeyman QB and will let him play out 2019 and go the franchise route if necessary. He threw for only 8 TD's and 7 Int's in the 2nd half of the season when Gurley was not healthy.

As for the Eagles I suppose they had no choice but I don't think this will end well as to me Wentz is a better version of Tannehill that will struggle to stay healthy. When he's healthy he can be a top 10 QB but he's started 13 and 11 games in the past few seasons and there were rumblings he's not a great guy in the locker room.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:03 AM   #595
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
As for the Eagles I suppose they had no choice but I don't think this will end well as to me Wentz is a better version of Tannehill that will struggle to stay healthy. When he's healthy he can be a top 10 QB but he's started 13 and 11 games in the past few seasons and there were rumblings he's not a great guy in the locker room.
"A better version of Tannehill" would be like me saying a Mustang is a better version of a Taurus. Guy was the MVP of the league through 13 games in 2017 and was till a top 10-15 QB last year by almost every metric despite coming off of ACL surgery and playing most of the season with a broken back.

The locker room stuff sounded more like one disgruntled player going to the media than it did any kind of indictment on Wentz. For his part, he took ownership of it and admitted he was in a bad headspace last year because he was frustrated about his own performance and being injured again.

Time will obviously tell, but I'd rather the Eagles roll the dice on Wentz than wander through QB purgatory again for half a decade.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:12 AM   #596
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

[IMG][/IMG]

The ring features an average of 416 round diamonds and six marquise-cut diamonds for a carat weight of 8.25 carats. The 20 sapphires weigh 1.60 carats, bringing the total gem carat weight to 9.85 carats.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...s-largest-ever
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MacDaddy77 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2019, 12:04 PM   #597
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
"A better version of Tannehill" would be like me saying a Mustang is a better version of a Taurus. Guy was the MVP of the league through 13 games in 2017 and was till a top 10-15 QB last year by almost every metric despite coming off of ACL surgery and playing most of the season with a broken back.

The locker room stuff sounded more like one disgruntled player going to the media than it did any kind of indictment on Wentz. For his part, he took ownership of it and admitted he was in a bad headspace last year because he was frustrated about his own performance and being injured again.

Time will obviously tell, but I'd rather the Eagles roll the dice on Wentz than wander through QB purgatory again for half a decade.
Derek Carr was an MVP candidate as well a few years back. Means nothing years later. I said he was a better version of Tannehill. Tannehill is an average starting NFL QB that can't stay healthy so that means I think he's clearly a better than average. I just don't see what he's done in three years to warrant this money as Foles won all their big games. I get that it's the way it is in the NFL as for all we know Jones could sign Prescott for similar money but at the 30+ million mark for starting QB's we are getting to the stage were teams are tying up a good portion of their salary cap into one player which is going to make it hard to build quality teams around them.

I can see why the Eagles signed him but I don't know why they had to make him the highest paid player ever after the last two seasons. Maybe he stays healthy and it works out but now the Chiefs will have to pay Mahomes $35+ million so GM's with franchise QB's are going to have to start getting pretty creative with cap management going forward.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:14 PM   #598
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

I mean if you look at the cap and the salary it’s directly in line with how salaries rise to match the cap. The percentage of cap allotted to QB isn’t increasing disproportionately, it just feels that way because big numbers are scary.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:22 PM   #599
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
I mean if you look at the cap and the salary it’s directly in line with how salaries rise to match the cap. The percentage of cap allotted to QB isn’t increasing disproportionately, it just feels that way because big numbers are scary.
I think it's getting a little disproportionate of late as it was only a few years ago Carr was the highest paid at $24 million and Wentz is now almost 1/3 higher as after years of top QB's getting paid in the $15-20 million range (until the Flacco deal), they skipped the $20-30 million range in less than five years.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/1...atrick-mahomes
Old 06-07-2019, 02:01 PM   #600
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still putting the O/U on games served at 4.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ng-chiefs-hill

Quote:
Prosecutors in Johnson County, Kansas, are not actively working a criminal investigation into possible child abuse involving Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver Tyreek Hill.

"It is not an active investigation," District Attorney Steve Howe told the Kansas City Star on Friday. "As in any case, if we receive additional evidence we reevaluate."

While the criminal case is not currently being pursued, there is a continuing investigation into the matter by the Kansas Department for Children and Families. The NFL has also begun an investigation, but league spokesman Brian McCarthy told the Star that the NFL was waiting for permission from the DCF to interview Hill.