Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-07-2018, 11:38 PM   #2101
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ I think season 4 is a bit softer in that regard, except for the last episode which had some pretty dark spots.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:13 AM   #2102
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puxlut View Post
Watched Straight outta Compton tonight. Was amazeballs. Acting was great! I listened to the music a bit growing up and it gives a lot of backstory to NWA. I kept pausing the movie and looking up more facts about all the different artists. I didn't know/forgot Easy E died of AIDS. A really good good movie!
If you grew up in that era, listened to that music and enjoyed Straight Outta Compton, you should also check out The Defiant Ones but its an HBO special that covers Dre and that time period along with more current events too.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:20 AM   #2103
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I've been working my way through Black Mirror after hearing so much about it, and it's a great show. Normally I'm not one to let what I watch on TV affect me, so through the first 2 seasons of episodes I was having fun watching the dystopian future stuff. Then I watched White Christmas, and after that I had to turn the TV off. That episode just got more mentally terrifying as it went along and the ending was such a gut punch

Spoiler!

So ya, the writers are creative geniuses but now I have to take a break
I do recall one critic saying he doesnt see how anyone could watch more than a couple episodes at a time. There are maybe 2 lighter episodes in the entire series. Otherwise, most people will eventually come across an episode that strikes a chord.
Spoiler!

In other news, looks like critics are going crazy for “The End of the F***ing World”. Netflix is just far and above any tv network at the moment for original series.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 01-08-2018 at 07:23 AM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:55 AM   #2104
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I've been working my way through Black Mirror after hearing so much about it, and it's a great show. Normally I'm not one to let what I watch on TV affect me, so through the first 2 seasons of episodes I was having fun watching the dystopian future stuff. Then I watched White Christmas, and after that I had to turn the TV off. That episode just got more mentally terrifying as it went along and the ending was such a gut punch

Spoiler!

So ya, the writers are creative geniuses but now I have to take a break
White Christmas is arguably my favourite episode. Unapologetically dark.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg

Last edited by Locke; 01-08-2018 at 08:58 AM.
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2018, 01:35 PM   #2105
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
If you grew up in that era, listened to that music and enjoyed Straight Outta Compton, you should also check out The Defiant Ones but its an HBO special that covers Dre and that time period along with more current events too.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to check that one out.
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:39 PM   #2106
temple5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Hello,

Of all the different TV boxes available does anyone have any recommendations on which one to buy? Roku, Apple TV, etc?

Thanks,
temple5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:27 PM   #2107
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by temple5 View Post
Hello,

Of all the different TV boxes available does anyone have any recommendations on which one to buy? Roku, Apple TV, etc?

Thanks,
My recommendation would be some kind of home theater PC. That will give you the most freedom to stream whatever you want, from Netflix, to web browser based stuff to Kodi. I have a Raw Media linux box, which is great, but a bit pricey. I also have a small PC the size of a USB stick that was like $120 at Walmart. It runs Windows 10, which is a little slow and loves to update, but its better for some of the TV streaming like TSN go or Sportsnet Now than a linux box. You could also get an android box too if you want. I would take any of the above options over a Roku or Apple TV as those systems are locked and limited in what you can put on them (i.e. no Kodi).
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:10 PM   #2108
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
My recommendation would be some kind of home theater PC. That will give you the most freedom to stream whatever you want, from Netflix, to web browser based stuff to Kodi. I have a Raw Media linux box, which is great, but a bit pricey. I also have a small PC the size of a USB stick that was like $120 at Walmart. It runs Windows 10, which is a little slow and loves to update, but its better for some of the TV streaming like TSN go or Sportsnet Now than a linux box. You could also get an android box too if you want. I would take any of the above options over a Roku or Apple TV as those systems are locked and limited in what you can put on them (i.e. no Kodi).
If Netflix is a primary concern then a Windows or Linux based box are not recommended. The Netflix app for Windows 10 is designed for tablets and is not navigable with a remote, and there is no native app for Linux so you're left with using Netflix in a browser (no 5.1 or 4K support)

If you want something better than a Roku then I'd recommend the Nvidia Shield. Powerful enough to stream anything you want, comes with Android TV so you get the proper TV versions of all the apps, and you can use it as a gaming device as a bonus
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2018, 04:36 PM   #2109
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

You probably need to ask yourself a few questions before picking a device:
- What are you going to use it for? Netflix is on pretty much everything, some other services may not be though. E.g. there's no Crave app for Roku yet.
- Are you already deeply embedded in someone's ecosystem? If everything you own is Apple then Apple TV might be a good choice, if not I'd get something more ecosystem-independent.
- Do you want a dedicated remote or do you always have your phone on hand and want to use it instead?
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:39 PM   #2110
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Unabomber Series on Netflix is painfully average and cliched. Sam Worthington has got to be one of the most overrated actors working today.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J pold For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2018, 05:55 PM   #2111
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
I can’t believe anyone would like Bright.

The writing was very bad, and the plot is complete nonsense.
I could see it being cliched as a criticism, but nonsense? Bright has an extremely straight forward plot. If anything it's too sensical and lacks twists. Overall, I just found it kind of fun.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:14 PM   #2112
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks to those that introduced Black Mirror. Started watching last night and on season 2 now. Great show and I agree, it's pretty tough to binge watch episodes as some are pretty heavy.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:20 AM   #2113
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Thanks to those that introduced Black Mirror. Started watching last night and on season 2 now. Great show and I agree, it's pretty tough to binge watch episodes as some are pretty heavy.
You shouldn't binge watch Black Mirror. It needs to be savoured like a delicacy.
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:12 AM   #2114
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
White Christmas is arguably my favourite episode. Unapologetically dark.
I go back and forth between San Junipero and The Entire History of You as my favorites. Top to bottom San Junipero IMO is one of the greatest television episodes ever of any show ever but The Entire History of You is where the show really hit its stride and set the bar.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2018, 07:42 AM   #2115
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I'm getting caught up on Black Mirror now. It was a show my wife and I watched from the beginning until season 3, episode 3. She did not like the ending of Shut Up and Dance at all. It's definitely not a show where you want to get emotionally involved with a character or you end up cheering for really deplorable people.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:20 AM   #2116
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

White Christmas was the first episode I saw and then stayed watching a few episodes in the next season. Sounds like I should go back to the beginning.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:23 AM   #2117
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also watched “The Climb”, which wasn’t bad if you are into Eddie the Eagle type stories. I believe it was also based on a true story of a guy who made it up Everest with absolutely zero mountaineering history, which kind of goes along the current line of thinking of how Everest isn’t that challenging in modern times.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:00 AM   #2118
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm 7 episodes into Dark and it's very compelling. I'm having a helluva time keeping the characters straight however!
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:41 AM   #2119
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Also watched “The Climb”, which wasn’t bad if you are into Eddie the Eagle type stories. I believe it was also based on a true story of a guy who made it up Everest with absolutely zero mountaineering history, which kind of goes along the current line of thinking of how Everest isn’t that challenging in modern times.
Everest isn’t all that tough of a climb as long as weather remains good (relatively speaking). There are much much more difficult mountains to climb, K2 for example.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:59 AM   #2120
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Everest isn’t all that tough of a climb as long as weather remains good (relatively speaking). There are much much more difficult mountains to climb, K2 for example.
I am waiting for Mars to colonize so I can climb Olympus Mons.