Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2017, 06:38 AM   #1
gildo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Selling vehicle privately (what to do?)

Hi everyone I am doing something that many have done many times but first for me. Thought I would reach out to my friends at CP for tips. Just selling our vehicle through Kijjiji. Never done this before, what do I do for the actual sale? What about my plates as I want to keep them? Kind of silly but I need the help.

Thanks
gildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:42 AM   #2
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the sale, just fill out a bill of sale

http://www.crossfieldregistry.ca/for...-bill-sale.htm

Your plates are yours to keep if you want them. Otherwise you can return them to the registry for a refund of a portion of the remaining registration.

Last edited by btimbit; 06-16-2017 at 11:22 AM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:09 AM   #3
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Take a good look at what similar cars are selling for on Kijiji and autotrader.ca (you should list your car there as well) and price your car a little higher than what you hope to fetch. Selling cars on Kijiji can be a frustrating proposition as you will get many lowball offers, potential buyers accusing you of asking too much, and tire kickers that tell you they are interested, make appointments but never show up. Good practice is to ask a little higher than you will accept it leaves you room to come down on price as most buyers will always offer less than you are asking for.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 06-16-2017 at 07:12 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:10 AM   #4
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You should also fill out and sign the back of your registration slip as part of the sale. And if you get a message from Nigeria about wiring money, it's probably a scam.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:24 AM   #5
Scoring Winger

Exp:

-Clean / detail your car
-Spend some time taking good pictures (don't use a Potato)
-Write a clear add describing the make, model, and options of the vehicle.
-Detail the positives of the vehicle (ie. low mileage, single owner, no accidents, recent work done)
-If you have maintenance records, organize them in a folder to go with the vehicle
#22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:14 AM   #6
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If the vehicle isn't financed then the above advice is spot-on.

if it is financed, you'll need to pay it off before you can transfer title.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:03 AM   #7
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Check drivers license before letting guy drive and remember info. If he gets upset, just say you want to ensure he has proper documentation to drive vehicle. Most people don't get upset by this. Those that do give some red flags IMO.

I'd suggest driving the vehicle first when showing it. Taking them to an easy neighborhood or parking lot to test drive the car. Driving a vehicle they are not familiar in a neighborhood they are not familiar in can on occasion give you some close calls and quick scares.

If the other guy wants an inspection done, take it to the mechanic yourself. Don't give them the keys. Don't start inspection until mechanic has their info to bill them the inspection.

Clean obvious things like the dash, mud flaps and outside. Clean out all items other than the basics in your glove compartment and other compartments. You don't need to go nuts doing it. A touchless wash at a gas station, swiffer wiper for dust inside the car and an armor all wipe inside if you want a sheen shouldn't cost more than $20-30.

Make sure you're available to allow people to see the vehicle. If you're pretty much unavailable to show the vehicle, consider delaying your posting until you have a few evenings coming up you can show it

As #22 mentioned, list all the basic tech specs of the vehicle that everyone wants to know. Get good pics (not blurry) taken of the front, back, driver side, passenger side, dash, engine bay, trunk and back seats.

Pay off all amounts outstanding on the car/get rid of liens on the car.

Accept cash as primary option. Don't get cheque scammed. If the amount is a bit higher, certified cheque, but those can be scammed too.

Fill in the bill of sale. Copy for you, copy for them.

Talk to the registry after you sell. You might be able to recoup a little money if you have over half a year left or something like that (not sure minimum duration required).

Cancel insurance on car

Plates, keep them. I don't think you're even supposed to give them to the other guy even if you're lazy.

Clear your preprogrammed garage door codes (if any). Remove garage remote (if any). Remove parking passes/Banff pass etc. (if any).

Be patient. Don't feel bad refusing people on Kijiji for basic things like showing your vehicle etc. If you get a bad vibe, refusing to sell the vehicle is ok. Don't be too nice.

Last edited by DoubleF; 06-16-2017 at 09:05 AM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2017, 09:09 AM   #8
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've never sold privately, but bought a few privately, so I can give you the view from the other side.

My biggest requirements were:

-Give me a detailed description of the vehicle: Year, make, model, trim, total KM
-Give me at least 10+ photos showing all parts of the car - under the hood and a trunk shot is very helpful
-Be honest with me when talking about the car's past. I want to know the car's history and if I find out you've been dishonest about one thing then the whole deal if off (even if its a minor thing, then I think you are withholding other info)

Essentially, make it as easy as possible for the buyer to know exactly what they are getting into when they call to set up a showing. This saves time for both parties as the showings are for people who really want to buy. Then be honest about everything - there has to be some sort of trust built in order for the sale to go smoothly.

Good luck!
Old 06-16-2017, 09:41 AM   #9
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Last couple of cars I have sold, I've met the buyer at their bank and waited while they got a certified cheque / bank draft. Then we sign off the bill of sale and I hand off the keys. Figure it is the best way to avoid fraud.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:42 AM   #10
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

And remember, cash talks and bullsh*t walks so don't feel you owe anybody anything until they have put a cash deposit in your hand.

I typically use the inspection to find things wrong with the car and lower the final price, so be wary of that tactic if you are not mechanically inclined to know what is serious and what is minor when you get the inspection report.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:13 AM   #11
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Last couple of cars I have sold, I've met the buyer at their bank and waited while they got a certified cheque / bank draft. Then we sign off the bill of sale and I hand off the keys. Figure it is the best way to avoid fraud.
This is a good suggestion. Seeing the certified cheque being produced by the bank is a good way to make sure it's not a fraudulent certified cheque.

Agree with other posters about being forthcoming. If you be open about all the issues and mention it's built into the price you've already posted, it's easier to avoid someone really pulling off chunks off the original price you've posted.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:14 AM   #12
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't be taking a certified cheque if I am not at the bank witnessing it being created. Too much fraud.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:18 AM   #13
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Be willing to accept low ball offers that are cash.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:39 AM   #14
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Make sure all the transfer documents are properly signed before giving possession. You might still be on the hook if a vehicle in your name gets into an accident later.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:58 AM   #15
gildo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Thanks everyone as always for the tips.
gildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:24 PM   #16
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Photograph the driver's licence or go with the buyer on a test drive. If he balks, tough.

I insisted on a photo of the licence of someone who was detailing my car. He had the keys and I didn't know him. He understood.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:38 PM   #17
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I wouldn't be taking a certified cheque if I am not at the bank witnessing it being created. Too much fraud.
I think you can call the branch to verify it. I had to do that once when a guy from BC came with a certified cheque from some BC credit union that I never heard of.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2017, 12:43 PM   #18
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Remember that there are tons of people that make money from flipping cars. So know what your car is worth and stick to it. A typical showing will involve a person constantly critiquing little things that are wrong with your car. Lots of chips in the windshield, brakes feel soft, something sounds funny, suspension squishy whether or not these are true. The purpose is to make you think that they are doing you a favour buying the car from you.

It's all designed for you to have a rationization for why you will accept their low ball offer. Once you start picking up on it it's funny.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:16 PM   #19
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Remember that there are tons of people that make money from flipping cars. So know what your car is worth and stick to it. A typical showing will involve a person constantly critiquing little things that are wrong with your car. Lots of chips in the windshield, brakes feel soft, something sounds funny, suspension squishy whether or not these are true. The purpose is to make you think that they are doing you a favour buying the car from you.

It's all designed for you to have a rationization for why you will accept their low ball offer. Once you start picking up on it it's funny.
Pretty much this. Any used car is going to have flaws, hence why the price of a used car is so much lower than a new one.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:05 PM   #20
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I think you can call the branch to verify it. I had to do that once when a guy from BC came with a certified cheque from some BC credit union that I never heard of.
I believe that you can do this, yes.

I think I've heard some people say you can also agree to put a condition on the sale and the condition is that the transfer of possession of vehicle cannot occur before the receipt of the funds in the bank by the seller. Some people use this clause when doing regular cheques so that they can save the fee for the certified cheque. A method I've seen friends do with other friends for regular cheques, but not certified cheques.