Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2017, 01:27 PM   #4681
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Take a page out of Nintendo's "purposeful supply restriction conspiracy?"

"Hey look, the limited edition is totally selling out. Better get our preorder in, even if you have to just buy the "normal edition". Order now!!"

I'm not worried about the XboneX at all, it's the SNES that is going to be hard to find. Those preorders last maybe a minute or two. Not days.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 04:50 PM   #4682
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I have over $400 in EB credit so I pretty well have to get my Scorpio from EB and I went to two locations and both sold out. I'm not exactly sure why I still can't pre-order a console as I don't even care about the launch edition. Just put me in the queue for crying out loud.
Just get a ps4 pro then
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:12 PM   #4683
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
Just get a ps4 pro then
Dude.......
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:17 PM   #4684
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Dude.......
It is almost as if the PS 4 fans are this forums version of Oiler fans, lol. They get a little annoying.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:04 PM   #4685
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
It is almost as if the PS 4 fans are this forums version of Oiler fans, lol. They get a little annoying.
Well that and the fact that I haven't made it a secret that I already own a PS4 Pro.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:19 PM   #4686
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:
Well that and the fact that I haven't made it a secret that I already own a PS4 Pro.
Then why get anything else?
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:25 AM   #4687
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
Then why get anything else?
Because I'm looking for something closer to real native 4K. PS4 Pro can't do that. Not even close actually. Horizon has so far probably been the best but it's just 1080p supersampled. Support for it has been disappointing as most games are simply enhanced 1080p games with better framerates. Honestly for most people that have a PS4 the PS4 Pro is a waste of money. At least the Scorpio is going to offer considerable performance gains over an Xbox One S.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2017, 09:27 AM   #4688
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm waiting for true next gen to jump up to 4K -- 4K TV's have dropped in price dramatically the last couple years, I'm expecting by the time we see PS5/Xbox Whatever you'll be able to get a 55 - 60" one with bells and whistles for under a grand. I've thought that both these mid-gen upgrades are a waste of time -- there's just no incentive for developers to really take advantage of them when 90%+ of the user base only has the base model.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:20 PM   #4689
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I'm waiting for true next gen to jump up to 4K -- 4K TV's have dropped in price dramatically the last couple years, I'm expecting by the time we see PS5/Xbox Whatever you'll be able to get a 55 - 60" one with bells and whistles for under a grand. I've thought that both these mid-gen upgrades are a waste of time -- there's just no incentive for developers to really take advantage of them when 90%+ of the user base only has the base model.
Agree.

Got a PS4 Pro just because of the crazy trade in deal that EBGames had when it first came out, but really I haven't seen enough of a difference in most games yet to make it really worth it.

With Scorpio even with the EB Games trade in deals the new system costs $399, and IMO that is just not worth it. Especially with the lack of exclusives on the XBONEX in the next 12 months.

It's actually where the XBONEX confuses me a little bit - it's more than just a small upgrade like the Pro but isn't quite a big enough leap to be a true "Next Gen". Personally I don't think I'll change my systems again until the true next gen PS5/XBox Two come out.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:43 PM   #4690
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

The jump between Xbox One (S) and the X is going to be bigger than the PS4 to PS4 Pro, that's undeniable.

But for those failing to notice the differences between the Slim and the Pro, go play Battlefield 1. The way that game handles it's dynamic resolution makes the jump quite noticeable, and well worth it for me.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:06 PM   #4691
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Because I'm looking for something closer to real native 4K. PS4 Pro can't do that. Not even close actually. Horizon has so far probably been the best but it's just 1080p supersampled. Support for it has been disappointing as most games are simply enhanced 1080p games with better framerates. Honestly for most people that have a PS4 the PS4 Pro is a waste of money. At least the Scorpio is going to offer considerable performance gains over an Xbox One S.
Well it's actually checkerboard rendering and not supersampling but I get it. I've been trying Tomb Raider 40th on a 4K 55" at the store and up close it's not even close to a 4K PC game.

That said, I thought Scorpio was going to use checkerboard rendering as well. It's more powerful but still a generational stop gap.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2017, 02:37 PM   #4692
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Well it's actually checkerboard rendering and not supersampling but I get it. I've been trying Tomb Raider 40th on a 4K 55" at the store and up close it's not even close to a 4K PC game.

That said, I thought Scorpio was going to use checkerboard rendering as well. It's more powerful but still a generational stop gap.
Correct but I don't think anyone is under the impression that the PS4 Pro or Scorpio were anything but version 1.5 of the launch consoles of current gen. The Scorpio straddles the line of barely being able to handle native 4K and the likelihood is that a lot of 3rd party games will using checkerboard rendering but it should deliver more games that come close and look and run better. The fact that the PS4 Pro doesn't include a 4K blu ray-player is also a major head scratcher when you consider you can get that on a regular Xbox One. I get that Sony fans here outnumber Microsoft fans but you guys need to understand that some people like me don't care about brands and just want the best performance available seeing over 80% of all the top games are 3rd party. If Sega made a new 4K system that was an advancement over the Scorpio I would buy that too. I don't care about the brand politics as that's for kids.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 08-29-2017 at 02:41 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2017, 03:36 PM   #4693
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Correct but I don't think anyone is under the impression that the PS4 Pro or Scorpio were anything but version 1.5 of the launch consoles of current gen. The Scorpio straddles the line of barely being able to handle native 4K and the likelihood is that a lot of 3rd party games will using checkerboard rendering but it should deliver more games that come close and look and run better. The fact that the PS4 Pro doesn't include a 4K blu ray-player is also a major head scratcher when you consider you can get that on a regular Xbox One. I get that Sony fans here outnumber Microsoft fans but you guys need to understand that some people like me don't care about brands and just want the best performance available seeing over 80% of all the top games are 3rd party. If Sega made a new 4K system that was an advancement over the Scorpio I would buy that too. I don't care about the brand politics as that's for kids.
For me it has nothing to do with the brand, but the biggest issue with Scorpio is the price point for what is a half step. Personally for me the $300 premium on top of an XBox One S isn't worth the extra benefit you get from the XBox One X.

On black friday you will probably be able to get a Switch + XBox One S for the same price as what you would pay for Scorpio.

TBH the PS4 Pro was the same thing for me, but then it was really only $100 via EB to get an upgraded system with more memory, and a new controller to make that jump. If I see a similar trade deal for the Scorpio once it comes out then I'll jump on it, but just don't see the appeal at launch even as a guy who is an early adopter who has pretty much jumped at every console on launch day this generation.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 08-29-2017 at 03:58 PM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:20 PM   #4694
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default XBone Vs PS4 Vs PC - VIDEOGAME POLITICS THUNDERDOME - PS4:900p-XBone:720p-PC::smug:

I think we'll have to wait and see what the Scorpio will offer in terms of performance benefits versus the Pro/Xbox One S, etc. I mean, that's some pretty juicy hardware and definitely a bigger jump in power from the S than the Pro was from PS4 1.0. Even taking in to account the overall hardware advantage Sony has had this generation, it will be interesting to see what games will look like on the machine.

What may hold it back, as others have mentioned, is a lack of hardware adoption that discourages developers from optimizing games for the hardware. There's also the possibility of commercial arrangements maybe interfering (like the conspiracies that Bungie won't push Destiny 2 to its limit on Xbox because of the deal with Sony).
Old 08-29-2017, 06:50 PM   #4695
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
I think we'll have to wait and see what the Scorpio will offer in terms of performance benefits versus the Pro/Xbox One S, etc. I mean, that's some pretty juicy hardware and definitely a bigger jump in power from the S than the Pro was from PS4 1.0. Even taking in to account the overall hardware advantage Sony has had this generation, it will be interesting to see what games will look like on the machine.

What may hold it back, as others have mentioned, is a lack of hardware adoption that discourages developers from optimizing games for the hardware. There's also the possibility of commercial arrangements maybe interfering (like the conspiracies that Bungie won't push Destiny 2 to its limit on Xbox because of the deal with Sony).
That's ok...the game is going to be just another expansion on Destiny with less customization. The beta was terrible, so much so it bothers me that I won't be wasting hours on end to beat some big dumb idiot for phat lootz!
Old 09-22-2017, 02:53 PM   #4696
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well with RBC Rewards GC and a few left over Best Buy GC's I have preordered the Xbox One X for no monetary cost to me at all!

Should be interesting to see the difference on my LG B7 OLED.

Does anyone have experience with pre-orders via Best Buy online? and should I expect any delays?
Old 09-22-2017, 10:33 PM   #4697
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well with RBC Rewards GC and a few left over Best Buy GC's I have preordered the Xbox One X for no monetary cost to me at all!

Does anyone have experience with pre-orders via Best Buy online? and should I expect any delays?
They have been good for me

PS4 on launch day delivered at noon
Old 09-23-2017, 12:37 AM   #4698
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:

The picture on that TV is phenomenal. I'll assume you will pick up the star wars game when it comes out. If you do, please post your impressions with the One X and the OLED TV. That game at native 4K on that TV is the kind of thing than might easily separate people from the money in their wallets.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:09 AM   #4699
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
There's also the possibility of commercial arrangements maybe interfering (like the conspiracies that Bungie won't push Destiny 2 to its limit on Xbox because of the deal with Sony).
That's fine as I have the PS4 version anyway and right now it doesn't have HDR nor is it what I would call a game that I consider pushing any graphical boundaries as it's 30 fps and checkerboard 4k. From a lot of comparisons the PS4 Pro version doesn't look markedly improved from the PS4 version so if they simply make the Scorpio version the same as the regular XB1 version it's not going to look far off from the PS4 Pro version anyway. I don't think developers like Bungie do themselves any favours not trying to make the best game possible and besides Destiny 2 is one of those take it or leave it games that isn't going to sell consoles.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:27 AM   #4700
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
The jump between Xbox One (S) and the X is going to be bigger than the PS4 to PS4 Pro, that's undeniable.

But for those failing to notice the differences between the Slim and the Pro, go play Battlefield 1. The way that game handles it's dynamic resolution makes the jump quite noticeable, and well worth it for me.
Battlefield on a console? Blasphemy
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote