Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-10-2019, 04:36 PM   #1201
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

$455M opening globally for Captain Marvel, which is second only to Infinity War for superhero movies, and 6th all time.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2019, 04:40 PM   #1202
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sh.../1100-6465468/

First Shazam reviews are very positive. Looks like a solid film, but more family orientated.
DC rolling now. I can't wait for SHAZAM, I think it's going to be top 2 or 3 for superhero movies this year.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:06 PM   #1203
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

DC is rolling now, people!
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2019, 09:35 PM   #1204
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Finally saw Aquaman. Better than I thought it was, and the underwater stuff was stunning. But some things I thought hurt it:

It seemed to follow a lot of the same beats as Black Panther.

The fight scenes on land seemed to have little sequences that were noticeably sped up. It was very jarring.

Amber Heard and the guy that played Black Manta gave terrible performances imo, but I guess they didn't hire her for her acting skills.

Black Manta's costume was laughably bad (again, imo).

The rest was pretty decent.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:27 PM   #1205
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
DC is rolling now, people!
I still don't think they've made a great movie. A few above average, but nowhere near Marvel's best. More towards the middle or back of the pack.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:37 PM   #1206
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
I still don't think they've made a great movie. A few above average, but nowhere near Marvel's best. More towards the middle or back of the pack.
Like ever or just since Man of Steel?
Old 03-12-2019, 08:59 AM   #1207
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Like ever or just since Man of Steel?
I think it's probably since Man of Steel. Nobody can argue against the Nolan Batman trilogy being good movies.

I finally watched Aquaman this weekend...was okay but really I still think DC falls into the same trap all the time.

Really tried to force some cheese and comedy into the Aquaman character and they just aren't as good at working comedy into their movies as Marvel are.

Plus they are always good for at least one "what the hell is that" character design choice per movie - in this one it was Black Manta. And I know they are just basing it on the source material but really it just didn't translate to the screen IMO.

Watching it now really validated my opinion that it was a combo of Momoa and a soft release slate at christmas that allowed it to have so much success because really it's not all that good of a movie.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 03-12-2019 at 09:02 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:05 AM   #1208
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I think it's probably since Man of Steel. Nobody can argue against the Nolan Batman trilogy being good movies.

I finally watched Aquaman this weekend...was okay but really I still think DC falls into the same trap all the time.

Really tried to force some cheese and comedy into the Aquaman character and they just aren't as good at working comedy into their movies as Marvel are.

Plus they are always good for at least one "what the hell is that" character design choice per movie - in this one it was Black Manta.

Watching it now really validated my opinion that it was a combo of Momoa and a soft release slate at christmas that allowed it to have so much success because really it's not all that good of a movie.
I actually just watched Aquaman on the weekend as well.

I'd probably class it in DC's top-3 but....it had a lot of warts.

Very, very, veeeeeeeery slow film and the only actor they cast that could actually act beyond annoyed grunting (looking at you Momoa, Heard, Wilson and Lundgren) was Willem Dafoe who probably should have learned his lesson about accepting comic-book roles.

Honestly, it was okay, it had cool and funny moments, but god did it drag ass for long stretches of time.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:00 AM   #1209
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I keep going back to Wonder Woman as being an amazing film. Without drilling in too deep I think if it were a MCU film it would be in the upper echelon. The film had everything, I don't think its overrated in fact I think its vastly underrated from comic book fans. Taking away Nolan's holy trilogy, IMO it's the best DC film they have ever done. Better than Donner's Superman & Superman II, better than Batman 89 , Batman Returns, Watchmen or V for Vendetta.
The movie has a fantastic star turning performance from Gal Gadot, great fight scenes in No Mans Land , great well timed humor and a great romantic lead performance from Chris Pine.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:12 AM   #1210
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

No way is Wonder Women better than '89 Batman. There was nothing special about it, and despite the attempt to sell it as women's empowerment and all that, the real hero was Chris Pine in the end which did a massive disservice to whatever messaging they were trying to get across, which I can only assume the writers forgot about by the end. The movie, plot, acting, etc were generic comic book movie. CGI fest with some odd looking stuff(kids at the start), and a forgettable enemy, who I guess I've forgotten about already, becuase I have no idea who it was...

Contrast that to Batman, you had top tier actors, absolutely incredible world building and set pieces, fantastic music that was in the top 10 forever, and it gave credence to the notion that superhero movies could be for everyone. My mom even enjoyed it. I'm not even sure how you could compare the 2.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 10:16 AM   #1211
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
I keep going back to Wonder Woman as being an amazing film. Without drilling in too deep I think if it were a MCU film it would be in the upper echelon. The film had everything, I don't think its overrated in fact I think its vastly underrated from comic book fans. Taking away Nolan's holy trilogy, IMO it's the best DC film they have ever done. Better than Donner's Superman & Superman II, better than Batman 89 , Batman Returns, Watchmen or V for Vendetta.
The movie has a fantastic star turning performance from Gal Gadot, great fight scenes in No Mans Land , great well timed humor and a great romantic lead performance from Chris Pine.

Really? Wonder Woman had a great lead and a good sidekick, but other than that I felt it was kinda weak. Story is generic, every actor outside of the two mains was forgettable, and the villain was cartoonishly cliche. It also fell into the trap of "She's so powerful, nothing can hurt her" that so many Superman movies have, there's zero threat of failure. It's the best of the modern DC movies yes, but both of the Keaton Batman movies are far superior
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 10:34 AM   #1212
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wonder Woman for a summer blockbuster had legs for days and it's even more impressive when you think about the competition it faced. Pirates of the Caribbean came out the week before release, then the week after it was released The Mummy came out followed by Cars 3, Transformers, Despicable Me 3, Spider-Man, War for Planet of the Apes, Dunkirk all coming out week after week. It only made $100 million opening weekend then added 300 million more after. Wonder Woman was the first great female led superhero film and it paved the way for Captain Marvel to come out and a list of others to be released.

Batman 89 it's great especially Keaton, Nicholson, Basinger but to me Wonder Woman just does the first movie in a franchise better. And I have to admit that I enjoy Batman Returns more.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 10:36 AM   #1213
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Wonder Woman for a summer blockbuster had legs for days and it's even more impressive when you think about the competition it faced. Pirates of the Caribbean came out the week before release, then the week after it was released The Mummy came out followed by Cars 3, Transformers, Despicable Me 3, Spider-Man, War for Planet of the Apes, Dunkirk all coming out week after week. It only made $100 million opening weekend then added 300 million more after. Wonder Woman was the first great female led superhero film and it paved the way for Captain Marvel to come out and a list of others to be released.

Batman 89 it's great especially Keaton, Nicholson, Basinger but to me Wonder Woman just does the first movie in a franchise better. And I have to admit that I enjoy Batman Returns more.

Box office returns do not signify a good movie. By your logic the Transformers franchise is one of the all-time best
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 11:49 AM   #1214
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Wonder Woman...had legs for days
And god bless her for it.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:18 PM   #1215
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 12:49 PM   #1216
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Box office returns do not signify a good movie. By your logic the Transformers franchise is one of the all-time best

Ya most of the movies on that list are not really competition.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:57 PM   #1217
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think it's that controversial to suggest that Wonder Woman was as important for a generation of fans as Batman was for a generation of fans. Both were fairly culturally significant beyond just being blockbuster movies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Nobody can argue against the Nolan Batman trilogy being good movies.
Trilogy? That's weird I remember him going out on a high note after The Dark Knight. Two excellent Batman movies is nothing to sneeze at.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:25 PM   #1218
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
I don't think it's that controversial to suggest that Wonder Woman was as important for a generation of fans as Batman was for a generation of fans. Both were fairly culturally significant beyond just being blockbuster movies.

Trilogy? That's weird I remember him going out on a high note after The Dark Knight. Two excellent Batman movies is nothing to sneeze at.
I actually think that is a pretty damn controversial statement at this time.

Wonder Woman was seemingly a run of the mill superhero movie in the midst of the golden age of super hero movies that produced, Dark Knight, Iron Man, Avengers, Winter Soldier, Civil War, Homecoming, Infinity War all of which it can not hold a candle to. I thinker there's a dozen more super hero movies from this century I would credibly argue are better that Wonder Woman.

Batman 89 dominated the super hero movie scene for 11 years until at least X-men which was very much a product of that movie in colour and tone.

I'm not sure I will have a lasting memory of Wonder Woman 2 or 3 years from now without a rewatch. It didn't stand out from the competition. It did nothing to define the genre. The people who latched onto the movie to support their message probably did not see the movie as they did not realize that that Chris Pine was the hero of the story as it was written (much like the people who missed the explicitly pro-colonial message of Black Panther).
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:04 AM   #1219
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

So last night the director of Dr. Strange and the sequel tweeted out a picture of Dr. Strange with Namor then quickly deleted it. I was hoping he would make his first appearance in Black Panther 2 and have the two kings fight each other, but this would be pretty cool as well.

In regards to Wonder Woman the effects from that movie are still being felt. Expect to see much more female lead superhero movies now, we already are seeing some ripple effects with Captain Marvel, Black Widow, and Birds of Prey all being made.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:49 PM   #1220
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's a little much to say "Wonder Woman effect", since I believe those movies were slated before the Wonder Woman release.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote