Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-22-2018, 12:52 AM   #641
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I kind of hope it doesn’t continue for years. It’s a bit ridiculous that I know that every four years on or around 21 February It’s pretty much a lock that Canada and the US are going to play for the gold. For years we’ve waited For the other countries to catch up it just hasn’t happened. It’s hard to take this seriously as a winter Olympic event. I’d rather Canada and the US just played a beat of seven series. I didn’t even bother to watch the first game because I knew that the two would meet each other again for the gold.
It's the catch-22. Only way it will improve in other countries if there is a level for young athletes to aspire to, and providing a funding model for the national teams like the Olympics provides.

But that also means there is Olympic money available to Canada and the US to make their already strong programs, stronger, which keeps the gap wide.

I think as long as it remains a virtually no-extra cost event at the games they have no reason to take it out. For the hosts with the arenas it's more games to sell tickets to that justifies the cost. And it is the only real way a lot of these countries will fund programs and development at the lower levels.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:55 AM   #642
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I always like the bigger ice during the World Hockey Championships and Spengler Cup. A lot harder to clog up the middle and kill the pace of the game

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 02-22-2018 at 01:00 AM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:56 AM   #643
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It may have come a long way, but I don’t agree it’s of a good quality. The Canadians couldn’t even execute an odd-man rush properly once despite having about ten opportunities, and while the US were much better puck movers than Canada, none of them could get a shot through and I’ve seen better Bantam AAA goalies than what they had in their tonight. If Canada had anyone that could have got a shot on net from the point they may have hit double digits their tonight despite being handidly outplayed.
Nm- double post
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:56 AM   #644
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It may have come a long way, but I don’t agree it’s of a good quality. The Canadians couldn’t even execute an odd-man rush properly once despite having about ten opportunities, and while the US were much better puck movers than Canada, none of them could get a shot through and I’ve seen better Bantam AAA goalies than what they had in their tonight. If Canada had anyone that could have got a shot on net from the point they may have hit double digits their tonight despite being handidly outplayed.
Weak shots don't help matters much either. So there is absolutely no hesitation for the defensive player to clog the lane and try to block the shots.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:58 AM   #645
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
There was a good chance but it wasn't definite. We see teams that get outplayed and win in OT all the time. It just takes one mistake or bounce.
We had a better likelyhood of winning in a shootout. At least 50/50.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:59 AM   #646
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
It's the catch-22. Only way it will improve in other countries if there is a level for young athletes to aspire to, and providing a funding model for the national teams like the Olympics provides.

But that also means there is Olympic money available to Canada and the US to make their already strong programs, stronger, which keeps the gap wide.

I think as long as it remains a virtually no-extra cost event at the games they have no reason to take it out. For the hosts with the arenas it's more games to sell tickets to that justifies the cost. And it is the only real way a lot of these countries will fund programs and development at the lower levels.
I just don’t see other countries spending any more or developing. Canada and the US just continue to spend more and ensure the gap never narrows. I know for a fact Russia spends nothing. 3-4 of them live in Calgary and play in our leagues. I work with one of them.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:00 AM   #647
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm really glad everyone is watching and slamming Women's Hockey. 30 years ago us Girls couldn't play Hockey, we had to play Ringette. Or play goalie for our brothers.
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarybornnraised For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 01:02 AM   #648
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I was pretty certain we’d win the shootout if it got there. Our goalie was ten times better than theirs. She was so small. All they had to do was go upstairs. Only one of them tried though (and did so successfully).
Old 02-22-2018, 01:09 AM   #649
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

I don't know if they showed it on the CBC feed but the feed I was watching every time the American goalie made a save in the shootout she had a huge smile on her face.

Part of me loved it and part of me hated it. Talk about living in the moment.

Canadian goalie's mask was 1000x better than the Americans though. So, the little things...
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:10 AM   #650
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
That’s not the point I’m arguing. All I’m saying is to say it wouldn’t have mattered if they had continuous OT is simply untrue.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:12 AM   #651
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
I don't know if they showed it on the CBC feed but the feed I was watching every time the American goalie made a save in the shootout she had a huge smile on her face.

Part of me loved it and part of me hated it. Talk about living in the moment.

Canadian goalie's mask was 1000x better than the Americans though. So, the little things...
That was certainly awesome. Seeing her smile like that. Probably why there is a part of me that is happy she won it for her team. I didn't hate it at all. I loved it.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:12 AM   #652
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It’s too bad some company like Telus wouldn’t sponsor a 7 game series between the two teams and put like a million dollar purse on the line with the inning team taking it all similar to the NHL all star game. That I would definitely pay to see.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:40 AM   #653
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It’s too bad some company like Telus wouldn’t sponsor a 7 game series between the two teams and put like a million dollar purse on the line with the inning team taking it all similar to the NHL all star game. That I would definitely pay to see.
It would have to be something like a 750k/250k split because these women make barely anything as it is.

Could you imagine the amount of pain and depression losing out on that much money would cause?
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 03:40 AM   #654
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
Could you imagine the amount of pain and depression losing out on that much money would cause?
The Hunger Games might be cruel, but they're great entertainment.

Anyways, I think 500m is the best distance in short track speed skating. It's a sprint from start to finish, so it's less about who can make a pass without getting disqualified and more about actual speed.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 03:50 AM   #655
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Girard's skate explodes in the semis, but the race gets restarted, and he gets through.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:15 AM   #656
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

That first end makes me miss mixed doubles.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:32 AM   #657
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

MEDAL ALERT!! Kim Boutin has won in the Women's Short Track 1000M!!

Her third medal of the Olympics (won Bronze in both the Women's Short Track 500M and 1500M)!!

Updated Canadian Medal Count: Gold: 9 Silver: 7 Bronze: 7
The Following User Says Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 04:35 AM   #658
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yay Boutin! 3 medals wow!

The Korean taking out the other Korean was hilarious.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:41 AM   #659
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Yay Boutin! 3 medals wow!

The Korean taking out the other Korean was hilarious.
Yup. While individual medals are always nice, winning medals for your country is what should be most important and they were basically guaranteed at least a Bronze before that.

Would be pissed if Canadian teammates did that.

Makes me think back to when Gilmore Junio gave up his spot to Denny Morrison in the Men's Long Track Speed Skating 1000M at the 2014 Olympics because he thought Morrison gave Canada a better chance at a medal.

Morrison went on to win Silver
Old 02-22-2018, 05:09 AM   #660
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

MEDAL ALERT!! Team Canada (Sam Girard, Charles Hamelin, Charle Cournoyer and Pascal Dion) have won Bronze in the Men's Short Track 5000M relay!!

Updated Canadian Medal Count: Gold: 9 Silver: 7 Bronze: 8