Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 11-16-2018, 12:20 PM   #481
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapshoot View Post
This needs to stop immediately. Average goaltending would have won or at least got a point out of a few of these games Smith has lost.
There was a specific reference to the last 2 games. The premise was that the Flames punted 4 points, and you counter by saying "stop it", we should have gotten at least 1 point from those 2 games.

There is a big difference between costing us 4 points and 1 point, and for the mathematically challenged, I'll ahead and tell you it's 3 points.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:03 PM   #482
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
Yup...

I feel like they could still bring him back if they asked nicely
He is having a strong season in Finland, looks to be healthy and I believe he’s only 32. I’d take a flyer on him for 1-2 years until something opens up. All I know is, there aren’t a lot of options out there and it scares me that Brobovsky will be one expensive UFA that we can’t afford.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:13 PM   #483
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
You think we would have lost to Montreal yesterday with Rittich in net? Maybe. but there is no way we would have lost on a piss poor gwg you and me could have saved.
Your "maybe" says all we really need to know.

There is really no way to know what Smith's goaltending has cost the team in the last few games, except that 3 goals scored in 2 games doesn't usually get you 4 points.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:10 PM   #484
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

The worries about the pressure on Rittich being thrust in the starting role don’t really concern me at all. When you watch him play, he doesn’t dwell on a goal against, even if it was an iffy one (which rarely happens to him so far this year). Usually just takes a skate and a drink, kind of like Kipper used to. His postgame comments all year have been that of a laid back guy who credits his team when picking up W’s. I really don’t see him as the type of guy to psych himself out with the pressure of being a starter. Let him have a run of 4 or 5 games and don’t immediately go back to Smith if he has a bad game somewhere in that stretch. He has phenomenal stats and is only 26 years old, he could easily be the starter for this team for years if he keeps it up.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:33 PM   #485
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
The stat that confuses me the most is that Mike Smith has 5 wins and 8 losses, David Rittich has 5 wins and only 1 loss. How is it not more obvious that we should've been playing Rittich yesterday or even against San Jose. You'd think that after years of porous goaltending with Carolina that once Peters found himself a decent one, that he would run with him and never look back. But for some reason that hasn't happened.

The Flames should've kept Karri Ramo. Really bad decision in letting him go. He was the best of the bunch and gave us consistent goaltending every season he was here. I'll take a .911 sv% and a playoff round win over whatever junk we've had since. All we've done is manage to do blow assets on trading for Brian Elliott and Mike Smith and it's gotten us no where so far.
Ramo would make a fine 1a/b right now splitting with Rittich.

He didn't have elite numbers but never tanked into sub .900 hockey for a sustained period.

Though of course I would first take a Bobrovsky or varlamov.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:52 PM   #486
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Ramo would make a fine 1a/b right now splitting with Rittich.

He didn't have elite numbers but never tanked into sub .900 hockey for a sustained period.

Though of course I would first take a Bobrovsky or varlamov.

I loved Ramo, he was a character. Think of where we’d be in the standings if Smith had stats that Ramo had in his worst year here, 2.65 & .909. Top of the division by a large margin.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:08 PM   #487
gamesaver
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Your "maybe" says all we really need to know.

There is really no way to know what Smith's goaltending has cost the team in the last few games, except that 3 goals scored in 2 games doesn't usually get you 4 points.
Except it does when you start Rittich. Rittich has 5 wins in six starts. Scores were 3-2 OT, 4-1 (with 45 shots against), 2-1 OT, 4-3 and 1-0. So as you can see, with Rittich starting, Flames are able to win games even when they do not score more than 2 goals in regulation.
gamesaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:06 PM   #488
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesaver View Post
Except it does when you start Rittich. Rittich has 5 wins in six starts. Scores were 3-2 OT, 4-1 (with 45 shots against), 2-1 OT, 4-3 and 1-0. So as you can see, with Rittich starting, Flames are able to win games even when they do not score more than 2 goals in regulation.
The only caveat you need to consider is quality of opposition. His wins were against LA, Buffalo, Chicago, NYR and Colorado (plus the loss in Mtl in which he was fine). I think of these, Buffalo is the best and even there, it's not a top quality team.

Not to say that that he was bad in his wins and he definitely stole the game in NY. His game in Chicago wasn't good and the Flames needed 4 goals to win. But I say that evens with his loss in Montreal which was not on him at all.

Smith has started against Vancouver, Nashville, Boston, Pittsburgh, Washington, San Jose, Anaheim and Montreal. Way tougher. So Rittich's tes will be when he faces a playoff team. At least 5 of these are strong teams destined for the POs.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:36 PM   #489
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

That last goal last night especially has me sour and I am also giving up on Smith.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:40 PM   #490
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mike Smith vs. Pucks:

dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2018, 07:10 PM   #491
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
I loved Ramo, he was a character. Think of where we’d be in the standings if Smith had stats that Ramo had in his worst year here, 2.65 & .909. Top of the division by a large margin.
He'd be telling the team that they played faaaaaaaaabulous.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:24 PM   #492
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Mike Smith vs. Pucks:

Rittich vs Pucks, hopefully:

JurassicTunga12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:23 PM   #493
direwolf
Franchise Player