Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2019, 12:27 PM   #61
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tkachuk and Monahan haven't worked well together from what I've seen. Both guys rely on slowing the play down and finding teammates skating into space. Problem is you can't have two forwards doing that, leaving only one forward mobile and the target of the defence. I'd like to see them try Backlund with Gaudreau, Lindholm with Tkachuk and Monahan with Bennett.
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:30 PM   #62
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
People that thought the Flames played really badly have only seen the score and didn't watch the game. Anderson was the difference pure and simple (plus a couple pucks that bounced over sticks) and that's not a slight against Rittich. I suppose you could question the D giving the looks that Ennis got on the first goal, and the breakaway leading to a goal. But the Flames outshot, outchanced, and generally outskated the Leafs.
That, and it was probably the worst game I think Gio has played in a long time, the refs were absolutely atrocious, and our top players don't have the swagger to play through adversity right now.

No one can argue that Rittich should have had #5, but that would have been a frustrating game to be a part of up to then anyway. Tons of push but no finish only to have a weak penalty of flukey goal put the game further and further out of reach. The away team getting the crowd on their side didn't help matters either I'll bet.

The problem was not converting on a great 2nd, and giving the refs a reason. A few going in in the 2nd turns that game around very quickly.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:31 PM   #63
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Interesting line shake ups by Peters today.

Derek Wills @Fan960Wills
now
#Flames lines and pairings at practice:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk
Mangiapane-Backlund-Lindholm
Bennett-Jankowski-Czarnik
Frolik-Ryan-Hathaway
Lazar

Giordano-Andersson
Hanifin-Hamonic
Brodie-Prout
Fantenberg-Kylington

Rittich
Smith
Really feels like Mangiapane’s spot should be Zucker and I can see why Treliving was really trying to add that top 6 forward.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2019, 12:40 PM   #64
atb
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
I'm really down on Monahan right now. He's plodding out there right now, his shot doesn't look dangerous and he's just downright invisible most games. Gaudreau in turn has to overcompensate by trying too hard to beat guys one on one and it's leading to turnovers. I'd like to see Gaudreau get a shot with Jankowski right now who's playing very well right now.
Monahan kind of looks like he did at this time last year, which we found out after the season was due to some significant injuries. Wonder if he's dealing with something again this year.
atb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:54 PM   #65
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atb View Post
Monahan kind of looks like he did at this time last year, which we found out after the season was due to some significant injuries. Wonder if he's dealing with something again this year.
This is what I am most worried about. Monahan has been about as consistent a producer as the Flames have had in the past four years. I think he is dealing with injuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:27 PM   #66
JohnnyTitan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Really think the Flames will be motivated to come out hard against Vegas tomorrow. They're due for an explosive first period.

The Flames have gotten 61% of all 5v5 shot attempts in the last two games. They've absolutely dominated play.

They've gotten .813 SV% from their goalies at even strength. I don't care who's in net -- that's not sustainable, and it's bound to improve.

They're shooting 5.4% in March. That's similar to the Ottawa Senators' rate. It's also bound to improve.
This is how I feel too. Or maybe it's just wishful thinking. If anything, this season's version of the Flames have not left us fans unhappy for long stretches so I feel an offensive explosion is coming. It's not like they're not getting a lot of high-danger chances. Scorp's numbers back that up. Flames put up 5+ tomorrow!
JohnnyTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:39 PM   #67
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atb View Post
Maybe, maybe not. But Monahan generally has a stretch like this every season. I remember when he was almost benched in 16-17 for a poor stretch where wasn't productive, I believe that was during Johnny's injury. Then there was another bad stretch in 15-16 where he was very quiet for about a month in December or January. Hopefully he snaps out of this soon because Gaudreau looks like he's extremely frustrated right now having to do everything by himself.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 02:15 PM   #68
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
This is what I am most worried about. Monahan has been about as consistent a producer as the Flames have had in the past four years. I think he is dealing with injuries.
Maybe it is the NHL's "play at all costs" mentality but this worries me.

If he's hurt and it can't be fixed until the offseason because of the length of recovery time, that's bad. Means we won't get full Mony until next season.

If he's hurt and he can recover this season, it makes me wonder why they haven't shut him down already. This is the NHL "play at all costs" mentality that concerns me. Would you rather lose Mony for a day/week/month right now and have him 100% for the playoffs? Or see him struggle at 50% for the next month and then be totally ineffective in the playoffs.

We're not barely hanging on to a playoff spot. If he's hurt, maybe he should be recovering.

And if he's not hurt, then hopefully him and the rest of the top 6 can break this slump pronto.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 02:25 PM   #69
joejoe3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Until 1st in the west is secured, no one is gonna get shutdown unfortunately.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:04 PM   #70
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Interesting line shake ups by Peters today.

Derek Wills @Fan960Wills
now
#Flames lines and pairings at practice:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk
Mangiapane-Backlund-Lindholm
Bennett-Jankowski-Czarnik
Frolik-Ryan-Hathaway
Lazar

Giordano-Andersson
Hanifin-Hamonic
Brodie-Prout
Fantenberg-Kylington

Rittich
Smith
These lines are pretty interesting, but I'm wondering if the first line has enough speed. If you want to add Mangiapane to the top 6 and have both lines going in the top 6, what about this?

Gaudreau - Monahan - Mangiapane
Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm
Bennett - Jankowski - Czarnik
Frolik - Ryan - Hathaway

Mangiapane, Gaudreau, Backlund, and Lindholm are all really fast, whereas I wouldn't consider Tkachuk or Monahan burners (though I love them both). That's why I think it might not be good to have Tkachuk and Monahan on one line.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:22 PM   #71
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
We're not barely hanging on to a playoff spot. If he's hurt, maybe he should be recovering.
Maybe not but needing to go through one of Vegas or San Jose instead of both is a pretty big prize. FWIW I suspect he is hurt, no knowledge or anything but he hasn't been himself lately.

Edit: And Kudos to Mangiapane. Gotta admit I was beginning to doubt him but he's turned it so much lately that I see him slotted alongside Backs and I'm pretty okay with it.

Last edited by Parallex; 03-05-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:34 PM   #72
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Maybe not but needing to go through one of Vegas or San Jose instead of both is a pretty big prize. FWIW I suspect he is hurt, no knowledge or anything but he hasn't been himself lately.

Edit: And Kudos to Mangiapane. Gotta admit I was beginning to doubt him but he's turned it so much lately that I see him slotted alongside Backs and I'm pretty okay with it.
There's always a risk in these situations but I'd rather be healthy and face Vegas than have our top centreman looking like crap and getting upset by a lower seed.

But then again I've always found it weird that teams do this kind of stuff. They're obsessed with playing star players at very, very low effectiveness even though they're hurt. If he's that hurt, maybe someone more effective should move up in the line up and that player should have their minutes limited.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2019, 03:41 PM   #73
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I thought Mangiapane was really good against Toronto. He deserves this shot on the 2nd line.
I think Mangiapane is the second coming of Matthew Lombardi. Lots of flash, lots of dash, zero awareness of what’s going on around him.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:45 PM   #74
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default March 5th Practice Notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I think Mangiapane is the second coming of Matthew Lombardi. Lots of flash, lots of dash, zero awareness of what’s going on around him.

I mean it’s still too soon to make this claim when he hasn’t been used in a top 6 role. I think that second line could use some “dash” that Frolik is not bringing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:46 PM   #75
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would like to see Czarnik try as the #1 RW - I think his speed would open up ice for Gaudreau. Czarnik reminds me at times of Tyler Johnson.
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:48 PM   #76
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jore View Post
Tkachuk and Monahan haven't worked well together from what I've seen. Both guys rely on slowing the play down and finding teammates skating into space.
Lmfaoooooo when has Monahan ever relied on that
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:54 PM   #77
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Lmfaoooooo when has Monahan ever relied on that
Here we go ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2019, 04:26 PM   #78
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Czarnik with Gaudreau would be my choice also. The advanced stats last night when he was on the ice were apparently outstanding despite the overall result.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Czarnik
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 04:28 PM   #79
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Czarnik with Gaudreau would be my choice also. The advanced stats last night when he was on the ice were apparently outstanding despite the overall result.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Czarnik
I like this.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 04:36 PM   #80
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
I like this.
I don't like line 1. Too small on the wings. Who is going to do the dirty work?
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote