Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2018, 01:06 PM   #141
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
It's on BT for putting the team in the situation as well. He's proven incapable at evaluating and/or acquiring goaltending talent and it will cost him his job, despite being great in other areas (signings, trades, recent drafts and so on) if Smith cannot figure it out soon or Rittich is not up to task of taking over.
I have been beating this drum for a long time, but the middling returns on Treliving's goaltending upgrade-attempts must be taken within their appropriate context. Every one of the alternatives to date would arguably have cost the team elsewhere in ways that we likely would not find palatable. Treliving has been juggling upgrades to an entire roster over his tenure—not just in goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2018, 01:16 PM   #142
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
It's on BT for putting the team in the situation as well. He's proven incapable at evaluating and/or acquiring goaltending talent and it will cost him his job, despite being great in other areas (signings, trades, recent drafts and so on) if Smith cannot figure it out soon or Rittich is not up to task of taking over.
Lose his job because of that? I sure hope not, because he’s the best GM we’ve had in years. The trade with the ‘Canes is looking pretty good right now, Hamonic is looking like an entirely different player with a new coach, same with several other players like Brodie and Bennett.

Treliving has been on every quality goalie that has come available that I can think of. Would you trade any of those goalies for Tkachuk? One thing you cannot accuse Treliving of is sitting on his hands. I’d bet money that he’s looking into improving the goaltending situation, but he’s not gonna create a hole to fill another.

We’re playing very well in spite of lacklustre goaltending. Patience my friend.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zulu29 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2018, 01:19 PM   #143
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I can remember the calls for Cliff Fletcher's head in the early to mid 80s.

Canadian market ... someone always wants to off the GM and coach.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2018, 03:14 PM   #144
Mitt31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

BT has been making a ton of trades to make this team better and i believe he has been successful in that. He weighs everything before making a deal but will not sell the farm on a gamble.

Right now this team is in a position to win every night, and that is BT as he has acquired the personnel and players. The day he starts meddling with the coaches role will be the day he should be fired.

It is on GM to get the players and the Coach to choose who starts in what position or line.

BT is doing his job... If you would prefer to watch the team we had before he got here then re-watch the tapes. Or i guess you could always watch a few Oiler games and decide if you still hate BT.

"I'll have to photocopy that for my kids.
One day, I'll be trying to talk hockey and they'll be saying, 'The game has passed you by, dad.' I'll be able to say, 'Ovechkin's on it, and he's still lighting it up.' " - Jarome Iginla
Mitt31 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mitt31 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2018, 04:01 PM   #145
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Terribad thread is terribad.
Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 05:00 PM   #146
simonsays
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think it would be for the best if Tre hired a seperate executive to handle goalie operations from here on out. I like most of his asset management but I don't think he really understands how to evaluate goaltending talent. Not that I can or anything.

But bring in someone who has experience evaluating the ins and outs of the position to help evaluate the talent we have (players/coaches) and the pro level talent that we could possibly acquire. I think Tre is aware of our goalie issues but IMO he needs someone to help evaluate the possible solutions.

Even if a survey of all the available talent results in Smith and Rittich in goal with Sigalet coaching, at least there would then be 2 people who had faith in this set-up.
simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 05:05 PM   #147
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonsays View Post
I think it would be for the best if Tre hired a seperate executive to handle goalie operations from here on out. I like most of his asset management but I don't think he really understands how to evaluate goaltending talent. Not that I can or anything.

But bring in someone who has experience evaluating the ins and outs of the position to help evaluate the talent we have (players/coaches) and the pro level talent that we could possibly acquire. I think Tre is aware of our goalie issues but IMO he needs someone to help evaluate the possible solutions.

Even if a survey of all the available talent results in Smith and Rittich in goal with Sigalet coaching, at least there would then be 2 people who had faith in this set-up.
Bring in Sean Burke as an assistant GM. He wants to transition into more management and he obviously knows a thing or two about goalies
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 05:08 PM   #148
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Bring in Sean Burke as an assistant GM. He wants to transition into more management and he obviously knows a thing or two about goalies
I like this idea.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 05:09 PM   #149
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonsays View Post

Over the course of the past four years Treliving has been in on Talbot, Jones, Bishop, Andersson, Fleury and Raanta in addition to the goalies he has actually acquired. The problem is not a matter of his ability to properly evaluate talent. It is rather all about which players were available and what he is willing to pay for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2018, 05:16 PM   #150
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Give Rittich starts and keep an eye on how Schneider plays coming off the surgery. If he looks like he’s anything close to his prior self then I think he’s a good option that you should be able to acquire dirt cheap because of the remaining years on his deal. You can have a 1A/B situation. 60/40 split or even more even if Rittich plays well. Unlike Smith, Schneider was a legitimate top tier goalie in this league. 32 years old so not as old as others have intimated by saying he’d be the same as Smith. If Parsons develops then the timing for the transition works nice.
jonkaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 05:21 PM   #151
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I do love the idea of Bobrovsky but ya, free agent and all.
jonkaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:41 AM   #152
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bump.

Both comparisons are looking a little close for comfort...
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:53 AM   #153
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Bump.

Both comparisons are looking a little close for comfort...
Lol
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:05 AM   #154
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

At this point I wish Smith was the new Elliott, despite last night's decent start. It would also be nice if Neal could be as productive as Brouwer at least.
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:50 AM   #155
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Smith did make that one highlight save. Yay?
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:53 AM   #156
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya know, I fear knowing the cumulative spend on goaltenders since Treliving arrived. And the opportunity costs, to failed acquisitions.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:36 PM   #157
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Smith did make that one highlight save. Yay?
At least 2, maybe three.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:15 PM   #158
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
At least 2, maybe three.
Yes, and he made sure everyone knew. Statue of Liberty! Hail the cab!
Needy bugger.

(I know you are fine with it, I don’t like it. I wish Smith would just shut up and win)
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2018, 03:50 PM   #159
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I don’t think it’s controveeisal to say:

Smith was brought in to replace and be better than Elliott
Neal to replace and be better than Brouwer
Ryan to replace and be better than Stajan

Kind of a mixed bag really. This team’s improvement has come from the coaching change and the Carolina trade IMO.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2018, 07:13 PM   #160
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Calgary is in a playoff spot. They actually look pretty good this far IMO.

Taking a risk to try and shore up goaltending through a trade seems like a large risk and unnecessary all things considered. I think the best thing this team can do moving forward is start to transition Rittich in more. If duties are more evenly split or even Rittich starts more often than not- team will be just fine.

Then over time hopefully Smith can regain confidence, which is I think all he lacks. I think he still has the speed and athleticism, he just needs to regain confidence. If he can regain his form to what he was first half 2017/2018 right around March or so we will win the Cup haha. He was dominant.

Meanwhile if things start to go off the rails then consider it or maybe make a deadline move to pick up a goalie. I just think it's incredibly risky to trade a decent asset for another goalie who will flake out.

Problem with goaltending is it's such a confidence / mental position. When things are going well, you're unbeatable and when things aren't, you should be in the AHL. It never really seems like you ever get "average" goaltending.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote