Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #301
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Sorry to hear HD. Believe me I know what you are going through with this.

My Dog was a big Flames fan too. Sat on the coach with me through hundreds of games.

Best Regards
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:46 PM   #302
redflamesfan08
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Mostly just a lurker, but I wanted to chime in with my condolences for HD.

Almost lost our dog a couple of months ago but he made a last minute recovery after we spent most of a sleepless night dreading the call to the vet to make arrangements. We know the day is coming as he's almost 16, but in the meantime we're enjoying every day we have with him, and I can't imagine what it will be like when he's gone, despite how close we came to losing him.
redflamesfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:20 PM   #303
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDrunk View Post
So yesterday I had to make one of life's hardest decisions and had Iggy put to sleep. I loved my buddy as much as my son. I can't believe how much I miss him already. The house is so empty, everywhere I look reminds me of him. Some people may think "it's only a dog" but he was much more to me than that. He absolutely worshipped me and it was always comforting to have him near. He was my "Flames Buddy", Iggy laid on the coach with me and sat through more Flames games in the last 9 years than probably 90% of CP.

"FML" doesn't quite sum everything up lately.

RIP Iggy (2002-2011).
Sorry for your loss.

Abby & Keeper watched lots of Flames hockey as well, one huddled up beside me on the couch and the other at my feet.

We lost them both at 12 years of age only 26 days apart late last year.

But time will march on for you . . . . Ruby is a barrel of laughs now and we are more likely to remember the better times of the Dynamic Duo than the last moments.

Cowperson
Old 04-15-2011, 05:41 PM   #304
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sorry to hear that life keeps kicking you, HD, and I hope that things get better for you soon.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:38 PM   #305
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Beautiful photo HD. So very, very sorry for your loss.
Suzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #306
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sorry to hear that you've been kicked again while you're still down HD. Best wishes, it's gotta get better soon...
Old 05-12-2011, 07:11 PM   #307
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I really thought it would be a long time before I posted in this thread but today, a nightmarish incident happened.

I lost my 4 year old best friend, Hudson, on a hiking trip. He was being his excited self and got too close to a cliffs edge and he fell to his death.

He was just...gone. I couldn't see from atop so I ran almost blindly back down the trail and into the thick bush to get to him. I was fighting tears and I ripped up my legs but I didn't feel it because I was racing in the hope he was alive. When I heard my friend's wife from the lookout say she saw him, the shakiness in her voice said it all.

I live alone. I'm single and I have no kids. Hudson was everything to me. I spent almost all my free time with him. He made bad days better and to lose my first dog this way...so young, and so athletic...there aren't words.

I loved him so much and I don't know how to deal with this pain. It only happened a few hours ago but I'm just walking around this big empty house in shock. Then random things will trigger the tears and I'm a sobbing mess.

I know this is wordy but I know the people in this forum can empathize so I'm pouring it out here.

I am grateful that I was able to find him and bring him out of there. I'm grateful he didn't have to suffer. I take some comfort in knowing he died doing what he loved most but, man, I'm a wreck and I have no idea what to do. I can't eat and I don't want to do anything. Plus I'm off work all week, which I don't know if it's a good or a bad thing.

So for those of you who take your dog hiking, don't think "they've been here a million times" and that there's no way they would fall. Please leash them in precarious situations. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #308
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

omg...

I'm so sorry to hear that bud, wow. Hudson seemed like a great dog, a great friend.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:24 PM   #309
Akai-Sesui
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Prayers for you and for Hudson...
you need to go talk to someone, tell family, tell friends....walking around at home will not help.
Akai-Sesui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:25 PM   #310
Deelow
Franchise Player

Exp:

So sad. Sorry man.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:30 PM   #311
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

I'm so sorry Burning Vernon. Hudson looked like a beautiful dog. Be strong and try and be with someone if you can.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:16 PM   #312
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Burning Vernon, so sorry for your loss.

It won't seem like it now, but it will get better with time. You will eventually be able to think of him and smile and remember all the good times.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:20 PM   #313
MacGruber
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Im so sorry Vernon. Your post broke my heart. Condolences.
MacGruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:32 PM   #314
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Geez, this is horrible. I feel for you Vernon.

Quote:
So for those of you who take your dog hiking, don't think "they've been here a million times" and that there's no way they would fall. Please leash them in precarious situations. I wouldn't wish this on anyone
Dog owners should ALWAYS keep them leashed, you just never know. I know many trails and parks make it illegal to have your dog off leash. Bears, Moose, Cougars or the terrain are a terrible way to go.

I'll squeeze Morley extra long tonight.

More photos on Flickr

Last edited by Regulator75; 05-12-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:55 PM   #315
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks for all the kind words. It really does help to hear from other animal lovers on here.

As for the leash...you are absolutely right because of Murphys Law. I hadn't been up this trail for a while but every time prior was with a leash. Since he was more mature now, there was nobody else there, and my friend took his dog off-leash, I thought I was ok. I was more worried about him running off trail and facing a bear than I would be him falling off a cliff.

I am going to make a big sign/memorial to remind people to be careful there. The idea of this alone is making me feel better. But for now, I'm heading out for a beer.

You guys rock.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to burnin_vernon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2011, 09:22 PM   #316
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry for your loss. At the very least I hope you know that your story will likely save someone else the pain you are going through now.

I didn't post in this thread when we lost our dog months ago. I could say you get over it with time, but boy there are moments still. I still sometimes walk in the house, months and months after his death and wonder why he doesn't come running. I sometimes look behind me before pulling out my chair because he might be lying there. Sometimes I am sure I hear him coming up the stairs.

My three year old asked me why they needed Bill in heaven because he misses him. "But I want Bill here."

Sucks right now for you, but know that as you say he died having fun. Maybe it is too soon, but I would suggest getting another companion right away. Was and is not for me, we had 15 years together and I am not ready; but maybe it would be good for you?.
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:51 PM   #317
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm so sorry to hear that.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:57 PM   #318
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

That is awful Vernon and I'm very sorry.

I recently lost my lab of fifteen years so it's not the same of course, but I know roughly how you feel.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:49 AM   #319
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin_vernon View Post
Thanks for all the kind words. It really does help to hear from other animal lovers on here.

As for the leash...you are absolutely right because of Murphys Law. I hadn't been up this trail for a while but every time prior was with a leash. Since he was more mature now, there was nobody else there, and my friend took his dog off-leash, I thought I was ok. I was more worried about him running off trail and facing a bear than I would be him falling off a cliff.

I am going to make a big sign/memorial to remind people to be careful there. The idea of this alone is making me feel better. But for now, I'm heading out for a beer.

You guys rock.
Sorry to hear this . . . . . it must have been an awful moment.

It could have been me in your shoes in the dozen years of hiking the mountains with Abby & Keeper, my two Golden Retrievers, but they passed away naturally last year, surviving my stewardship. Cliffside wasn't unusual for them although I was careful with them when the drop was sheer and frequently had them on longer leashes irregardless.

Dogs aren't acrobats and can have accidents just like anyone else, which is what this sounds like.

The next while won't be easy for you but time will march on. Having a new pal is a good idea. Only you can know when the time will be right.

A plaque is a good idea . . . . . west of Chain Lakes, up on an obscure ridge where few people walk, there's a metal plaque actually hammered into a rock, honouring someone's mother I believe. It looks out onto the prairie thousands of feet below and the wording indicates that was her favourite place. There is no path to it and its unlikely to be seen by more than a dozen people in a year. It's just there, out of the blue. And nice.

Best wishes

Cowperson
Old 05-13-2011, 09:18 AM   #320
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow that sucks B_V I can't even imagine.

I always hate coming on cp and seeing this thread in the bold and near the top
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote