Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2020, 04:12 PM   #1
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default YouTube Music - opinions?

Hi,
Apparently Google Music will be terminated by years ejs, and will transition to YouTube Music. I should have known better than to trust a streaming service to manage my music library, but here we are.

Anyone use YouTube Music, and how is it? Quality, Library, general use. I find it crazy that a video service is going to be there music offering?

Should I be exploring Spotify or something? Or just deal with the YTM?

Thank you.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:41 PM   #2
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

YT music will transfer your library and I presume have everything Google Play Music has.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:43 PM   #3
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
YT music will transfer your library and I presume have everything Google Play Music has.
Unfortunately it doesn’t have everything. I found it a lot less usable than GPM. I switching to hosting my own library via Plex.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2020, 06:08 PM   #4
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I transferred from Google Music to Youtube Music. At first I hated it, the app is missing a bunch of features from the old one and while you can upload your own music, it's kept completely separate from your online library, so switching back and forth is a pain. I eventually just went through my entire upload library and manually deleted it all while adding the same artists/albums through the online side that I wanted to keep. It was a pain, but I'm glad I did it as it let me prune my library of a bunch of stuff I never listened to anymore, and find a bunch of new albums from bands I did want to keep

That was a couple of months ago, and after using YTM for my daily driver since I actually like it better than Google Music now. The recommendations are way better and more intune to my tastes, getting notifications for new releases from bands I like is nice, and you can still upload albums from bands that YTM doesn't have. I only have a few that I had to do that for, but it's a nice option that no other streaming service has. If they fix up a few minor things like library sorting on the desktop browser side, then it'll be just as good/better than Google Music was
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2020, 06:25 PM   #5
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hated it. But I also hated spotify at first. Now I can't live without it
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 06:48 PM   #6
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Recently transferred my library from Google Play Music to YouTube Music. It's great. The one thing I love is Playlist Radio. It'll make me killer playlists that are way more expansive than just a basic song/artist/genre radio.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2020, 08:16 PM   #7
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really like YT music. Been using it for a couple years now. Comes free with Pixel phones.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:59 PM   #8
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use YouTube Music because I pay for YouTube Premium.

...once you go ad free on YouTube, anything else is unacceptable.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2020, 10:00 PM   #9
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Unfortunately it doesn’t have everything. I found it a lot less usable than GPM. I switching to hosting my own library via Plex.
Yeah, I just deleted my Google Music library tonight and am using Plex for my music. Guess I need to resume locally backing up my music library since I'll no longer have it in the cloud.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:06 PM   #10
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tried it a few months ago and wasn't a fan but mostly becuase you couldn't transfer your library/playlists yet. Now that you can It's no worse than Google Play Music, which I always liked
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:47 PM   #11
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I use YouTube Music because I pay for YouTube Premium.

...once you go ad free on YouTube, anything else is unacceptable.
That’s the biggest thing that’s making me balk at cancelling. Ad blockers help but they’re not available for every platform.

I share a family plan so the cost is low enough to pay even if I don’t use it for music.
Old 08-13-2020, 04:35 AM   #12
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pretty tough to beat YouTube and YouTube music for the same price as the other streamers. I can't do the ads anymore after not having them for so long.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 10:59 AM   #13
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am here to shill for Spotify.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:15 AM   #14
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a music player to replace Google Play Music? I do not want Youtube Music and I am willing to pay for a better alternative. I don't stream music, ever. The one thing I liked about GPM was I could upload songs I ripped on my PC and then download them whenever/wherever directly to my phone.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:37 AM   #15
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
Does anyone have a recommendation for a music player to replace Google Play Music? I do not want Youtube Music and I am willing to pay for a better alternative. I don't stream music, ever. The one thing I liked about GPM was I could upload songs I ripped on my PC and then download them whenever/wherever directly to my phone.
Everything I ever uploaded to GPM is in my YouTube Music library.

I've had Spotify, Rdio (not around anymore), Amazon Music, GPM and now YouTube Music. YouTube has been the best and you get adless YouTube.

I can't think of another service that is better in any way. What is unappealing about YouTube Music to you?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:40 AM   #16
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Found some things better, some things worse. Having the personal library not integrated in was annoying as others pointed out, but found most of the music I had was on YTM anyways so I could just re-link playlists. Just painful to have to do.

Recommendations and auto generated lists seem a lot more relevant on YTM vs GPM. Radio, auto generated playlists, all seem to be better than GPM. You also get seamless integration of the lyrics and music videos for specific tracks which is nice.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:42 AM   #17
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Perhaps, someone more astute with online media can answer this question, as it is related to the thread title. A few times now, I've downloaded a video on YouTube with some random music playing in the background. Each and every time, I have received a copyright claim email from some obscure agencies claiming to represent owners of the copyrighted music warning me against using the song that's playing in the background. In some cases, the video is immediately blocked by YouTube. I tried giving credit to the music author/performer by typing full title and performer's name; no difference. Why is this happening? I am not trying to monetize my videos; they are completely irrelevant to the music being played. There are literally millions of these exact same songs posted on YouTube directly and purposely by millions of people without any restrictions on viewing. What am I doing wrong and how to overcome it?
Old 08-13-2020, 07:19 PM   #18
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I bought youtube premium a while back so I don't get adds on youtube and so I could watch Cobra Kai. Youtube music was just a bonus and I've been using it for a while. I like it.
pseudoreality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:24 PM   #19
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I just tried the YouTube Music app on my Nvidia Shield and all it does is open the regular YouTube app to the music tab. What a joke.
Old 08-19-2020, 01:00 PM   #20
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Everything I ever uploaded to GPM is in my YouTube Music library.

I've had Spotify, Rdio (not around anymore), Amazon Music, GPM and now YouTube Music. YouTube has been the best and you get adless YouTube.

I can't think of another service that is better in any way. What is unappealing about YouTube Music to you?

I sort of want to take this opportunity to duck out of Google's ecosystem and I certainly do not want to pay for a subscription service. I am trying out Poweramp at the moment.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote