Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2020, 03:30 PM   #41
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Since this thread had a lot of love for Dewalt, I thought I would mention that Canadian Tire has some really good deals on Dewalt tools for Black Friday, including a bunch of drill options.

I also am a fan of Dewalt drills. I have a 20V one from at least 12 years ago that is still working great, and the battery life is still quite fine.

I'm also a big fan of the 12V ones. I have a few of those and I love them for anything you don't need a ton of power for. Perfect for doing electrical stuff or any finishing carpentry sort of stuff. They aren't powerful enough to drive big screws, but they're so light and handy for smaller stuff.

The Dewalt 12 inch sliding mitre saw is also $100 off. You'll never regret owning one of these.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:41 AM   #42
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another member of Team Yellow checking in. The batteries from my original 18V tools from 15 yrs ago are all crapping out. Just thought I'd mention this handy adapter that exists to prolong the usage of your 18V tools.

https://www.dewalt.com/products/acce...dapter/dca1820

Perfect for some of those lesser used 18V tools in your system while you gradually move to 20V. It actually makes some of my 18V tools lighter to use, though they don't sit flat due to the angle of the battery.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2020, 12:04 PM   #43
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Does anybody know of a screwdriver bitset that has just long bits in it? I have a Milwaukee 12v screwdriver that is my most used tool. Most sets come with a bit holder chuck and a bunch of small bits. I already have a set like that, and in a lot of cases the chuck gets in the way. Any set that seems to have some longer bits that I can just use with the screwdriver have a whole bunch of small bits that I don't need or want.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 12:46 PM   #44
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Does anybody know of a screwdriver bitset that has just long bits in it? I have a Milwaukee 12v screwdriver that is my most used tool. Most sets come with a bit holder chuck and a bunch of small bits. I already have a set like that, and in a lot of cases the chuck gets in the way. Any set that seems to have some longer bits that I can just use with the screwdriver have a whole bunch of small bits that I don't need or want.
Usually any electric or plumbing wholesaler has a bunch of assorted long bits (6" ish) right by the front tills
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 12:48 PM   #45
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, Rona has them by the service desk as well. I'm not sure there are sets, but you can pick and choose what you need.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 01:25 PM   #46
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
great topic, who does not like talking tools.

i have gone all in on ryobi - the simple genius of the one battery system. i have a drill, impact gun (i love the feel of this versus the drill), a right angle drill, palm sander, 51/2 inch circular saw and a sawz-all and a string-trimmer for the lawn. i also wish i had their wet-vac as cords suck

for my needs as a homeowner they have been great.

after years of foot dragging i recently picked up a ryobi table saw for $140 (i was looking at a ridgid for $400; however, it was massive to store but came with a built in cart) - the unit i bought will work for those 4 or so times per year when i need a table saw because my circular saw skills are not always good when i need to cut a long straight edge.

The price of the tools is decent; however, the batteries seems to be painful. i try and stock up when there is a sale. Although i just bought two 4 mh batteries for $130. They finally make my circular saw more useful

as an aside, a guy at home depot recently told me that milwakee and dewalt merged (i think it was those two companies) and the quality of one is apparently not as good as it used to be - anyone have any insight into this?
I have grown tired of failed batteries with Ryobi and have moved into Rigid and Milwaukee tools instead. It is a shame because there is so many options with the one tool thing Ryobi has, but I am tired of these things failing so quickly.
greyshep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:42 AM   #47
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
Yes - Lee Valley is your answer
Turns out it was not...put them on my Christmas list, my wife ordered them early December. Estimated arrival time? Mid April.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...s?item=60T0670

Should have gone Amazon!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:08 AM   #48
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

These things are awesome around the house:

Hobby wise these are the best:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:13 AM   #49
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Turns out it was not...put them on my Christmas list, my wife ordered them early December. Estimated arrival time? Mid April.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...s?item=60T0670

Should have gone Amazon!
You are welcome to visit my shop and look at mine.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2021, 10:20 AM   #50
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

interesting as i have never had an issue with the batteries failing; however, at this point i am too far in to make a switch to anotehr line.

i recently sold my clunky shop vac and bought the ryobi cordless vac. have not used it a ton yet, but it is nice not having a cord, and it is so easy to carry. the only thing i don't like about it is the on off switch seems really cheap and that it might break sooner than one would like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
I have grown tired of failed batteries with Ryobi and have moved into Rigid and Milwaukee tools instead. It is a shame because there is so many options with the one tool thing Ryobi has, but I am tired of these things failing so quickly.