Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-08-2010, 04:23 PM   #101
Sample00
Sleazy Banker

Exp:

it just occurred to me that its been a year since we put our dog down.
It still makes me teary eyed thinking about. To those of you that have lost your pet recently, my thoughts are with you.
Making "that" decision to put your pet down is never an easy one.
RIP Louie.
Sample00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:26 PM   #102
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry to hear, RIP Popeye.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2010, 04:31 PM   #103
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ same here. I was the one the last persons to bump this thread before me_dennis

I had to put down Beekeeper (my cat) in February, and I can tell you that one of the first thing you'll notice is not having your pet come greet you at the door when you come home. That will take a bit of time to get use to

My condolences on Popeye's passing.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:44 PM   #104
AvsJerk
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My condolences me_dennis, rest in peace Popeye...may the afterlife be filled with 3 legged cats and steak dinners.
AvsJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AvsJerk For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2010, 04:52 PM   #105
AvsJerk
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Condolences.

Here is something really different:

http://www.lifegem.com/secondary/bel..._main2006.aspx

The LifeGemŽ is a certified, high-quality diamond created from the carbon of your loved one as a memorial to their unique life.
I lost my buddy Allie to bone cancer last January, she was only 8 years old. She was a great dog and my waterfowling buddy. I had one of my buddys that reloads mix in some of her ashes in a few shotgun shells for opening day on the lake.
AvsJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #106
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Condolences.

Here is something really different:

http://www.lifegem.com/secondary/bel..._main2006.aspx

At LifeGem, we understand that pets are cherished companions and unconditionally loving family members.

Since introducing the LifeGem to the world, we have received hundreds of requests to memorialize pets as LifeGems. The answer is YES, we absolutely can and will create a LifeGem memorial of your precious pet.

The LifeGemŽ is a certified, high-quality diamond created from the carbon of your loved one as a memorial to their unique life.

wow.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:06 PM   #107
Dynamic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Me and my wife just lost our yorkie/zue today. He was hit by a truck last week, took him into the vet and were told that he would be fine, just a broken pelvis and broken tibia.

Anyways he sure was not getting any better, he could walk around a bit but not much else, so we took him to another vet who decided to take some x rays. Found out that his hip was crushed and would never heal on its own. Surgery would cost 5-7k so he was put down just a few hours ago.
Dynamic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:35 PM   #108
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sorry to you both Dynamic and me_dennis. I hate these threads!
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to schteve_d For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2010, 11:58 PM   #109
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our dog passed not last winter but the winter before hand. It was my dog that we found as a stray when I was 11 or so and she was pregnant when we got her. So she passed when I was 23 and the doctor thought she was anywhere between 14-16 years old.

She had some issues towards the end and me and my fiance were taking care of her while my mom was in Iraq. One night my fiance woke me up at 2am screaming that the dog was shaking. So I ran out to the living room and noticed that she was having a seizure. She came out of it about a minuet later and took about 3 hours to seem somewhat normal.

I called the emergency vet and he pretty much told me that there was nothing he could do at the time being. Well about two weeks later she had another seizure and I rushed her to the vet while he gave a RX for some medications that I gave her. Those pills is what I had to give her until mom could come home from Iraq to see her. I asked the vet if she was suffering and he told me no. So about a month passed after that and she was going out into our fenced in yard and just falling asleep and acting lethargic. Then later that night she started to poop blood in her sleep. I called the emergency vet and he pretty much told me that she was passing away in her sleep and there was nothing I could do but to make her comfortable. What I did and I wish like god that I would of had her put down was I gave her a codeine and hoping that would make her fall asleep and be painless. She passed about an hour later and I was hurt for weeks. I was so sad and I just wish like hell that I would of put her down so she didn't have to live those last months the way she did.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:12 PM   #110
rockymountains
Draft Pick

This is a very hard topic.
My dad put my dog down a couple months ago, and while most people wouldn't agree with how it was done, hindsight, as painful as it was for me, I wanted him to be in no pain.

I wanted to have it put down at the vet, but my Dad's concern was that he would be very stressed and scared. He was blind and very weak, and for me, taking him to the vet meant strange hands touching him, strange smells, and he would be stressed and know something wasn't right.

So my dad took him out to the mountains, let him out the walk around for a couple minutes, and that was the last thing he knew. (farm style).

He called me later that night to tell me he had been put down.

It hurts me, but it is definately less stressful for them. Either way it will be hard for you and your children, but honestly, if you are looking for the way that will be easiest on your animal, take him out to a friends farm or on an acreage, and let his last memories be happy with running around, and not being scared in a vets office.
rockymountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:22 PM   #111
Flamesguy_SJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was kind of wondering where this thread went a few weeks ago. My family had our cat of 21 years put down, and man was it heartbreaking. She had actually been run over by a car about 3 years ago, had a crushed pelvis and a dislocated tail but survived through it, so in a lot of ways each day after that was a bonus. It's still really weird not to hear her extra claw clicking on the floor whenever there's a can of food opened.

My condolences to everyone in this thread who has lost not only a pet, but a friend.

RIP Mitzey Elizabeth, 1989-2010
Flamesguy_SJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:01 AM   #112
bcb
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountains View Post
This is a very hard topic.
My dad put my dog down a couple months ago, and while most people wouldn't agree with how it was done, hindsight, as painful as it was for me, I wanted him to be in no pain.

I wanted to have it put down at the vet, but my Dad's concern was that he would be very stressed and scared. He was blind and very weak, and for me, taking him to the vet meant strange hands touching him, strange smells, and he would be stressed and know something wasn't right.

So my dad took him out to the mountains, let him out the walk around for a couple minutes, and that was the last thing he knew. (farm style).

He called me later that night to tell me he had been put down.

It hurts me, but it is definately less stressful for them. Either way it will be hard for you and your children, but honestly, if you are looking for the way that will be easiest on your animal, take him out to a friends farm or on an acreage, and let his last memories be happy with running around, and not being scared in a vets office.
Is this a joke?

Henry Steel Commager (1902-1998)

bcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:27 AM   #113
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcb View Post
Is this a joke?
I doubt it - our first dog was put down the same way. It will sound strange to most people but if you've grown up on a farm you'd understand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_yeller
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:38 AM   #114
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why do I keep opening this thread?

I'm so sorry everyone.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:37 PM   #115
kipperiggy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bumping this thread because I'd like to ask a question of everybody.

We're getting to that time that we are seriously considering putting our 15 year old dog, Simba, down. His back legs just don't work right anymore (esp. his left) and he just lays around and sleeps all the time, and walks on 3 legs when he does move himself.

But my question is not about whether or not to put him down because it's pretty clear the time is quite soon.

My question is: Would you want to be with your pet when he/she is put down? Or would you be able to? My mom and my sister have both expressed that they won't be able to be in the room and my stepdad has volunteered to take him in and be with him... but I just can't decide what to do. My mom is worried about my work schedule but work might just have to take a backseat if I'm going to feel guilty forever because I wasn't there.

What would you do?

Thanks AC!

Last edited by kipperiggy; 05-30-2010 at 06:50 PM.
kipperiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:52 PM   #116
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've had to say goodbye to a couple dogs and, as hard as it was, I've always been with them till the end. It just seems like the right thing to do to have someone holding them when they pass.

We have two more that are getting up there in age(one being my avatar) and I will be there for them too.

Last edited by Zevo; 05-30-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zevo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2010, 05:10 PM   #117
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipperiggy View Post
What would you do?
It sucks but your pet needs who ever it loves to make this easier for them.

Be happy and as cheerful as you can so the pet doesn't get freaked out, pretend everything is normal and cool.

What is best for your pet must be done.
Pinner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pinner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2010, 05:52 PM   #118
JustAnotherGuy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I am going to have to do this with my cat soon. They vet said she would give the cat something so that she falls asleep. I will be with her until she falls asleep. Then I will leave and they will take the next step. Damn, that just choked me up a bit.
JustAnotherGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustAnotherGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2010, 06:19 PM   #119
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherGuy View Post
I am going to have to do this with my cat soon. They vet said she would give the cat something so that she falls asleep. I will be with her until she falls asleep. Then I will leave and they will take the next step. Damn, that just choked me up a bit.

I did the same thing with my cat. Said my good byes as it went to sleep and left. The vet stepped out a minute later
Sorry about your dog Kipper
Old 05-30-2010, 07:24 PM   #120
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipperiggy View Post
Bumping this thread because I'd like to ask a question of everybody.

We're getting to that time that we are seriously considering putting our 15 year old dog, Simba, down. His back legs just don't work right anymore (esp. his left) and he just lays around and sleeps all the time, and walks on 3 legs when he does move himself.

But my question is not about whether or not to put him down because it's pretty clear the time is quite soon.

My question is: Would you want to be with your pet when he/she is put down? Or would you be able to? My mom and my sister have both expressed that they won't be able to be in the room and my stepdad has volunteered to take him in and be with him... but I just can't decide what to do. My mom is worried about my work schedule but work might just have to take a backseat if I'm going to feel guilty forever because I wasn't there.

What would you do?
I would not leave a pet who has been a chum for 15 years to die alone (yes, I know the vet and techs are there).

I've been with a few, including two who were with us 15 years, in their final moments. No, it's not easy, especially if it's your first time. If it's your first experience, it's the finality that's shocking . . . . . . and the fact you ordered it for that moment.

We outlive them. That's just a fact of life. After the first one, it will probably not be the same when you get the next one as a kitten or a puppy because you now have the experience of that rough day in the future, even if it's another 15 years away.

You will outlive them. Pretty much every time, which seems a little unfair. You can only give them a great life and take what they offer, which is great companionship.

My two cents.

Taffee, now gone 10 years but with us for 15 years and the greatest cat in the history of the world. Used to jump up and straddle the shower box every morning and once fell in, dragging his claws down my back as he grappled for something to hang onto. I forgave him for that!!

Cowperson