Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2008, 09:36 AM   #21
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
that used to work with the old motorola modems (the flat grey ones), they would send their transfer data to the Shaw network every 4 hours, so if you figured out your modem's cycle you could reset it right before it transmitted the data and it would have nothing to send as a power cycle would wipe it's memory. it has no effect with the current DOCSIS modems though, they track in real time so a reset only inconveniences the user
Well hey, I still have the old flat motorola modem! Hell I don't think I'll ever give it up now that I know that.

Thanks for the info.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:21 PM   #22
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why is shaw more concerned about uploading and not downloading? Isn't traffic all the same?
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:30 PM   #23
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Most consumer connections are weighted towards download speeds, since that's the majority of what normal people use... so I'd imagine their networks and their upstream connections are geared that way.

Typically upload bandwidth is more expensive than download. Getting a symmetrical connection (where upload and download are the same) is a lot more expensive.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:19 PM   #24
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

my bro is on shaw (I am on telus- yes we have two internets at my house), and he constantly gets calls saying please restrict your usage. But he has some website to monitor how much he is using, and sometimes it says he downloaded 28mb, and it was more like 40gb, so I am not sure how their system works.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:09 PM   #25
Neeper
Official CP Photographer

Exp:

I had a friend that worked at Shaw Internet that gave me a tip. He said anytime you are done downloading a large file to unplug your modem for a few minutes. Apparently they don't know how much you use because the modem sends the data usage info from the modem at a later time. It seemed to work for me when I was using huge bandwidth. I don't know if it still works like that.
Neeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:55 PM   #26
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeper View Post
I had a friend that worked at Shaw Internet that gave me a tip. He said anytime you are done downloading a large file to unplug your modem for a few minutes. Apparently they don't know how much you use because the modem sends the data usage info from the modem at a later time. It seemed to work for me when I was using huge bandwidth. I don't know if it still works like that.
again this could only work if you had the older motorola modems, and managed to time it so you reset the modem right before it uploaded the data. the new DOCSIS modems that most everyone has now send their data in real time, so it doesn't matter how often or how long you unplug the modem, if you download or upload, Shaw sees it
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote