Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2021, 04:52 PM   #2421
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
CMLC managing the development was seen by a lot on council as a big plus, as they had managed the library and much of the development all around the East Village.

Also, Nenshi says in the article that the August 1 groundbreaking likely won't happen on that date.
But probably seen poorly by a private business trying to maximize profit.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 04:52 PM   #2422
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
CMLC managing the development was seen by a lot on council as a big plus, as they had managed the library and much of the development all around the East Village.

Also, Nenshi says in the article that the August 1 groundbreaking likely won't happen on that date.
August 1 2031 maybe.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 04:58 PM   #2423
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Not having CMLC overseeing the project would be a dealbreaker if I was on council. Actually it's a dealbreaker being a taxpayer.

I don't trust CSEC one bit.
Old 06-15-2021, 05:04 PM   #2424
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is entirely based on no inside information, but my read is they need to come up with a plan to address the budget issue - which might be as simple as waiting until the spring when (theoretically) steel and lumber prices normalize at pre-pandemic levels. As much as "let's wait!" is a dumb sounding plan, it might be the prudent move.

Anything else is basically window-dressing: if you don't have the money to build what you want to build, who manages the project doesn't matter.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2021, 05:08 PM   #2425
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is entirely based on no inside information, but my read is they need to come up with a plan to address the budget issue - which might be as simple as waiting until the spring when (theoretically) steel and lumber prices normalize at pre-pandemic levels. As much as "let's wait!" is a dumb sounding plan, it might be the prudent move.

Anything else is basically window-dressing: if you don't have the money to build what you want to build, who manages the project doesn't matter.
Very much agreed.

The cost of materials at the moment is insane and would completely destroy a budget. Its not like we need this stuff immediately so waiting a little isnt such a big deal.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 05:30 PM   #2426
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Not that I disagree but what's a probable time frame for material costs to normalize back to pre-pandemic levels? Is it possible this could years?
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 05:47 PM   #2427
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Material cost increases are only a part of the problem, lead times are also getting to be absolutely ridiculous. There are materials the company I work for would usually get in a week or 10 days pre-pandemic, and now it's 3 months+. A lot of mills cut back production or even straight up shut down during COVID. It's ramping up again, but so is demand, so it's creating a bottleneck on top of the price increases.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:05 PM   #2428
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
has anyone bothered to ask the University of Calgary if they have the money to cover their share of the cost?
This would be similar to the University district no? Take empty unused land, faciliate development, and actually earn money from their assets.
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RM14 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2021, 08:57 PM   #2429
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm14 View Post
this would be similar to the university district no? Take empty unused land, faciliate development, and actually earn money from their assets.
Yes, this was said at the meeting yesterday...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1404472236652646404

It's also important to keep in mind that this is only a conceptual plan for what could be done in the area. It doesn't take cost, funding, or schedule into account. The final form of what gets built (and any renovation of McMahon) will almost-certainly look nothing like these concepts. What they allow is for people to visualize what could be done and what the overall vision for the area is.

Gian-Carlo Carra made a good point on Twitter today that having a master plan like that for the East Village was integral in moving that project along and getting buy-in on it.

You can see the original East Village master plan here: http://www.calgaryherald.com/pdf/Eas..._ExSummary.pdf

That looks nothing like what the East Village looks like today, but we likely don't get the East Village to where it is today without it.
Old 06-15-2021, 09:34 PM   #2430
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

they have dropped over 40% in the last 5 weeks. I don't think this is the issue.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:37 PM   #2431
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Yes, this was said at the meeting yesterday...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1404472236652646404

It's also important to keep in mind that this is only a conceptual plan for what could be done in the area. It doesn't take cost, funding, or schedule into account. The final form of what gets built (and any renovation of McMahon) will almost-certainly look nothing like these concepts. What they allow is for people to visualize what could be done and what the overall vision for the area is.

Gian-Carlo Carra made a good point on Twitter today that having a master plan like that for the East Village was integral in moving that project along and getting buy-in on it.

You can see the original East Village master plan here: http://www.calgaryherald.com/pdf/Eas..._ExSummary.pdf

That looks nothing like what the East Village looks like today, but we likely don't get the East Village to where it is today without it.
And you don't get it off the ground without including the Bow Building magically added into the CRL and stretching out the East Village boundary to include that area.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beatle17 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2021, 06:24 PM   #2432
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1407494304751312900
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2021, 07:39 PM   #2433
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1407511796198543361
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2021, 11:05 AM   #2434
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

They better not be value engineering out the street facing retail screen or removing CMLC. Cut the practice rink if anything.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:32 AM   #2435
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
They better not be value engineering out the street facing retail screen or removing CMLC. Cut the practice rink if anything.
I know some have a soft spot for the Dome but I consider it an outdated, eye sore of a facility. I hope they don't cheap out on the exterior and make it like like Rogers Place that's going to look outdated architecture in a decade.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2021, 11:40 AM   #2436
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I hope they keep it in line with the vision they have going for the East Village area. Our library is beautiful to look at.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bdubbs For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2021, 11:46 AM   #2437
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
I hope they keep it in line with the vision they have going for the East Village area. Our library is beautiful to look at.
And so is Studio Bell, the new BMO centre expansion. Keep in line with all those and we will be good for decades.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2021, 05:16 PM   #2438
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I know some have a soft spot for the Dome but I consider it an outdated, eye sore of a facility. I hope they don't cheap out on the exterior and make it like like Rogers Place that's going to look outdated architecture in a decade.
Don’t kill the messenger:

https://drive4five.blog/2021/02/24/n...l-matt-becker/
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:33 PM   #2439
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Who the hell is this guy, and what does he know for arena design and aesthetics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2021, 05:47 PM   #2440
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Who the hell is this guy, and what does he know for arena design and aesthetics?
No idea. I was wondering what NHL arena exteriors were thought of highly and googled away. Me, I’ve seen a bunch on his list and I can’t agree. I like Vegas, Nashville, LA.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote